UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dumbo At Castledon.

Greyhoundowner

More and more people are posting their criticisms in the guestbook at Castledon. Their ire is being irked by the way that Dumbo is being denied the chance of a home through the restrictions put on any prospective adopters. All objectors views are quickly removed only to be replaced by others. It seems poor Dumbo's plight is touching a nerve with a lot of people. He has been offered a home a number of times by kind hearted people only to be fobbed off, or ignored by Castledon, so why do they not let him go.

I took on an old dog called "Hard to Spot" (Vincent) who had been kept in a kennel until he was ten, because of restrictions put on him. He turned out nothing like the dog they thought he was, totally the oposite in fact and for the last three and a half years he has been a pleasure to own.

A couple more critics have again put their views in the guestbook, but they will soon be removed. However, let's hope the bow to peer pressure and let Dumbo go into a home to give him the chance of a life as a pet dog.

He is a 8 year old greyhound, posted among the overlooked oldies. In my experience his issues are not really issues, they are just the result of being in a kennel that equates to a prison throughout his life. If he was taken into a home, loved and cherished, all alleged issues would certainly disappear.. It certainly seems however that the people at Castledon are putting to many restrictions in his path to happiness.

quote name='DanishPastry' date='Jun 28 2008, 05:18 AM' post='719674']

What kind of dog is Dumbo, and what are his alleged issues?

I'm a bit confused by what sort of 'issues' Dumbo is supposed to have or what restrictions are being put on rehoming him? According to the information we have he's a bit timid and needs a quiet home without young children which seems quite reasonable.

I'm afraid any questions really need to be put to Casteldon directly, this isn't the place to discuss a rescue's policies when they aren't here to give answers.

We can't possibly know if the people who were 'fobbed off' were really offering Dumbo the ideal home. I don't know Casteldon personally but I can't imagine any rescue would be ignoring or turning away good homes for a long stayer like Dumbo.

I have replied to Fee personally on this subject.

Very many greyhounds are doomed to die alone and unloved because they have been cursed by comments made by people who have no idea how a greyhound would react in a loving safe home. Unfortunately these comments are believed, and then related to others without a shred of evidence confirming if it is indeed fact or fiction.

As soon as people understand: That what you see in a kennel, is rarely what you get when your greyhound as settled down to the life of a pet dog, greyhounds might get a better crack of the whip.

Bryan

I'm a bit confused by what sort of 'issues' Dumbo is supposed to have or what restrictions are being put on rehoming him? According to the information we have he's a bit timid and needs a quiet home without young children which seems quite reasonable.

I'm afraid any questions really need to be put to Casteldon directly, this isn't the place to discuss a rescue's policies when they aren't here to give answers.

We can't possibly know if the people who were 'fobbed off' were really offering Dumbo the ideal home. I don't know Casteldon personally but I can't imagine any rescue would be ignoring or turning away good homes for a long stayer like Dumbo.

Exactly.

Given that Castledon isn't as far as I know represented here, I would ask as Fee has said, that anyone directs any concerns - and indeed rehoming enquiries directly to Castledon. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I came very close to taking this boy but as he is very timid and very easily scared they felt that although in all other respects we were the perfect home we may struggle if he panicked and we were out as we have four other girls.

From my experience of dealing with Jodie at Castledon i feel that they are excellent at matching dogs with prospective families as we have just taken on an oldie from there called Alan who has slotted in here perfectly. Jodie did tell me that Dumbo wasn't actually unhappy in kennels but actually responded well to the routine and familiar faces. On saying this she did want him to have a home of his own.

Dumbo finally went to a new home on wednesday. I knew this but didn't want to tempt fate by posting it in case it didn't work out. Sadly it appears Dumbo's new owner as tripped and let go of his lead. Dumbo has panicked and run off. Please keep your fingers crossed that he comes home safely.

Dumbo has been found again according to another forum so he is safe at least. Such a pity this had to happen just when he finally found a home. Don't know if he will be returned there now the people have learned the hard way how careful they need to be, but I do hope he can find a place of his own for his senior years.

I'm so relieved he has been found, and I very much hope the new adopters haven't lost their confidence and are able to keep him. It sounded as though it was the sort of accident that could have happened to anybody - but of course with a new dog who hasn't yet bonded with you and takes off the results are devastating.