UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Diy Peeps - Laminate Flooring.

Kathyw

Just to rain even more on your parade (sorry), if you have hardboard laid and then vinyl flooring, your doors may need to be planed to make them slightly shorter as it will raise the floor level. When you find someone to do it and negotiate a price with them, make sure you include that bit, as they should be able to do it (it's a ten minute job for someone who does it regularly) :flowers:

I had laminate in my last house and loved it, the dogs adjusted and I used non-skid mats at the bottom of the staircase and stuff. You don't necessarily need to put chipboard down, unless your floorboards are very uneven. I didn't do that and my brother has laminated his entire house without it, but you do need to put down an underlay, it's like a thick felt so compensates for any slightly uneven bits. I didn't replace my skirting boards, but used the quadrant pieces to cover up the expansion gap and it looked okay :flowers:

Kathy, if your floorboards are in good nick why not sand and varnish them ?

I agree about laminate being slippy for dogs, my friend has it in her kitchen and there have been a few "pile up's" when the dogs all rush to the door, poor Bruce ( friends old Border) skidded and smacked into the fridge yesterday :( . But we have sanded wooden floors all through our house and the dogs never slip, they have on occassion scored the floor boards taking a corner at breakneck speed :dry: but have never slipped.

ooooooo I like that idea Celeste.

I can have them sanded and then varnished and a mop will see to the cleaning and I will be able to see spiders.

I shall lookie into that.

What about the ickle gaps in the floorboards though? - I couldn't have they stay as spiders may come up through them.

Rudi I bet it looks beautiful but I have gone off laminate as Elsa has HD and any slip or knock to her rar end makes her scream and it's too risky. I would like to see some piicys though. :)

Edited by Kathyw

Rudi I bet it looks beautiful but I have gone off laminate as Elsa has HD and any slip or knock to her rar end makes her scream and it's too risky. I would like to see some piicys though. :)

I've left that house and don't have many pictures of just the floor, but have dogs ones with the floor in the background :wink: Don't blame you for worrying about HD. In my new house I have bare floorboards at the moment, I am completely skint so can't afford to do much with them, so I'm going to paint them a creamy colour for now, should cost about £25.00 a room.

gallery_2395_96_80390.jpg

gallery_2395_96_418421.jpg

gallery_2395_96_418782.jpg

Lovely piccys Rudi specially the doglets. :wub:

BM I am not keen on floorpaint, I would rather have varnish.

I have found a filler for the gaps and I can do that myself, the stuff also fills in the gaps around the skirting boards so makes it spiderproof.

I also have a couple of floorboards that need replacing as they were broken by the chaps putting the central heating in.

Then I will get a professional in to sand and varnish them.Lot cheaper than carpet/laminate and loads cheaper than vinyl. :)