UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Diy Peeps - Laminate Flooring.

Kathyw

I just saw a pallet of laminate enought for 28.6 sq mtrs (enough for my bedroom) for £196.00 plus £60.00 delivery yes very cheap but guaranteed for 25 years so good quality.

It will be going onto floorboards.

Now what else would I need.

I know there are spacers and fillers (no idea what they are for) and understuff but again no idea what.

I have a chap who can lay it for me (under my direction :rolleyes: ) but need to know all the other stuff I need.

I want to also put new skirting on the plastic type if possible (saves painting it).

Over to the experts.

I was going to carpet it but Elsa is 12 now so may have accidents and sometimes doglets can puke.

Edited by Kathyw

Kathy if you go to a shop that sells flooring, tell them that you have the laminate but that you haven't got anything else, give them the measurements and someone will tell you precisely what you need. If you have floorboards you will need to hardboard over beforehand :flowers:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not hardboard please. That's why I didn't go for vinyl as you have to lay hardboard first, I didn't think you had to do that with laminate - I thought you just used that membrane stuff.

You could try it without if the boards are in good condition, but there may be some 'give' in the laminate when you walk on it :flowers:

Just a word of caution - laminate is very slippy and not good for oldies IMO. Even my youngsters hate it and slip all over the place on it.

I shall Edith.

This is what I was told I could use as the floorboards are level and in very good condition. But the person who told me may have been winding me up.

Link

If I have to use hardboard - I am up the creek and the paddle is missing. :unsure:

You could try it without if the boards are in good condition, but there may be some 'give' in the laminate when you walk on it :flowers:

Just a word of caution - laminate is very slippy and not good for oldies IMO. Even my youngsters hate it and slip all over the place on it.

Oh Alex I am going off you fast. :rolleyes:

I think I am going to have to go with non-slip ninyl after all.

The reason I didn't want it was the floor has to be hardboarded first but I think I have no choice, I do not want the dogs slipping on it.

I do like you really. :)

Edited by Kathyw

I want to also put new skirting on the plastic type if possible (saves painting it).

I can't offer advice re the fitting of the laminate but just wanted to reply in response to the plastic type of skirting. People we know used it and totally regret it as it bleaches in the sun. Depends upon how much skirting you'll have on show and whether you're concerned by having a `yellow` tinge to the plastic ?

I am now looking at sheet vinyl again as I cannot risk the doglets slipping.

When they laid the rhinofloor here - it was on concrete but they were not good layers as the cutting in was a disgrace. I never noticed it at first twas only when I saw the dirt that accumulated in the tiny bits between the floor and the skirting.

even steam cleaning couldn't get it out properly.

I have just found out I could stick some beading all round the skirting and cover the cracks. :rolleyes:

i want a light colour so the spiders can't hide from me. :unsure:

You can get some really lovely vinyl flooring that looks just like a wooden floor. I wish I'd had it laid instead of my flippin laminate :rolleyes:

I've got some in my kitchen. It looks great and is very easy to clean as well as hard wearing, warmer underfoot and not so slippy as laminate. (Unless your name's Cherry and you take corners at 100mph! :wacko: )

Years ago my brother laid a floor in my nieces bedroom. She had seen it on tv and took him to show him the stuff.

It was not 'proper flooring but he did it for her. He sealed it and put a high gloss polish on it and then coated it with something to make it non-slip. It looked beautiful and I wanted it when here in the lounge but alas we were not on speaking terms then.

He was a floor layer and was very good at it so I suppose it would be a no-no for moi.

This is the stuff he used.

Link

You can get some really lovely vinyl flooring that looks just like a wooden floor. I wish I'd had it laid instead of my flippin laminate :rolleyes:

We had it our dining room until we got the builders in and they ruined it :mecry: We covered it over with carpet but I miss it. Still have it in the hall and it is wonderful stuff so another recommendation from me :) It was slippery for the dogs but we found that if we didn't wax it then it was OK, it just looked a little dull.

I am going to ring Alan the gov of the professional crew that finished our kitchen and ask about the stuff we have in the kitchen as it is totally non slip even if water is on the floor.

I want it in a lighter colour though.

Laminate is out of the question now. :)

Thank you all because I would have made a bad decision without you advice. :flowers: