UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Holidays In The Hebrides.

phoebejo

I'm planning our next holiday and I fancy something different. I've wanted to visit Harris, Taransay and some of the other Western Isles for years and since doing a topic on them at school now Emily wants to go to. I have to admit to not knowing much about the place though, I'm just attracted by the beaches and scenery :rolleyes: Ian is not at all keen so I need to know what else there is to do there so I can try to convince him. Failing that we'll leave him at home :laugh:

I know Arisaig and Mallaig quite well if that helps? :unsure:

I'm thinking of a bit further north, the Outer Hebrides. Thank you though.

Sorry, can't help, never been - I saw the title and thought you were planning a trip for Alan :laugh:

It's not far enough away :rolleyes: Besides, he might be out of our hair for a bit anyway. He's not been well for a few weeks and is hoping to be admitted to hospital today. The nurses at the John Radcliffe hospital are welcome to him!

Bejo my friend goes lots as she has family living on Lewis. Tis very expensive to get over on the ferry if you are including a car. And it takes her 7 and half hours to drive up to Ullapool from here and we are only 40 minutes from the Scottish border to start with! It takes 2 days to get there if road and ferrying it and it does necessitate an overnight in or somewhere near Ullapool.

When she's had to go without the dogs she flies and if booked long enough in advance you can get some very good deals. And is goes without saying that it's way faster but without family at tuther end to ferry you round in their cars you might be a bit stuck :unsure:

When the weather is good she says it's paradise but they got a lot of the wet stuff and wind too so you need to be prepared. If taking dogs there are sheep EVERYWHERE and my pal can only let her dogs off without worry on a beach but there are loads of them. If you want peace and quiet and tranquility you'll get that alright :biggrin:

I have some photos on my PC that she sent me a couple of years ago if you'd like to see them :unsure:

Oooooo yes please Marion. I realised it'd take a hell of a long time to get there :sad02: I was trying to figure out the best way last night when I was looking online at stuff and there wasn't a best way, it was all bloody difficult from way down south :rolleyes: We could get a flight from Bristol to oooop north, probably Edinburgh and then a connecting flight to Stornoway. I need to find out if I can hire a car nearby. I'd not take the dogs because with all the kids in the car and luggage there isn't enough room.

Emily now says she wants to go to Coll.

The Hebrides are very beautiful if you get the weather, but tbh, your just as likely to have a week of pishing wet, and two days travel to get there :ohmy: , have you thought of Sark ? somewhere I've always wanted to go, and would be easier to get to from where you are ( I think ) and has the added advantage of there being no motor vehicles at all, there's only bikes, horses or shank's pony.......bliss :biggrin: and your much more likely to get lovely weather