UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Thug Horse Advice Please

supafrisk

No, it's not me it is Kristiana on Thug, she's a lot taller than me!!

Grant is short(ish)

(I thought he was a brickie or a plasterer when he turned up at the other yard in a transit)

:blush02:

I have never measured him but the other yard said he was 15.3hh and I am 5'2 and the top of my head is level with his back, not his withers, so anywhere between 15hh and 15.3hh.

He lost a bit of condition at the other yard and looked a bit stockier before he left ours and he is changing shape now anyway from being worked regularly.

It was lovely watching Kristiana lunge him on two lines and going from one direction to the other, I would love to be able to do that :)

When Thug was being spookbusted, he was so relaxed he cocked a hindleg (although Kristiana was honest and said that they'd had to start with the tiniest of bags on the end of the bamboo cane and progress up to the big ones.

At no time did I ever see his ears go back, he never even looked unsure or worried and was so eager to please it was a joy to watch, even when they strapped the guy fawkes dummy to the saddle, stirrups and top of the headcollar. He was quite happy to trot round with this strange thing flapping around on his back. Grant said the only time he's done anything was when they first let him loose in the roundpen with the saddle on. He had a bit of a bucking session but his bucks are nice and slow and would be really easy to sit :laugh:

Another thing that was brought up in conversation was his blindness. Grant feels that he's not fully blind in that eye either.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news!! And he looks nothingl ike I envisaged.... the name Thug cnjours up a big stocky horse... andh es not hes lovely :wub:

am so pleased Grant and Kristiana have worked on desensitivation and got such a marked improvement. I am confident he's going to go from strength to strength.

I'm off to one of Mickeys clinics tomorrow... I hope you can continue down the Horsemanship route with Thug and continue to progress together :GroupHug:

I just keep coming back to this thread - there's a book and a film in this you know! :wink: - because now he's away from that awful place it's lovely to read about his progress. Please keep updating (if you want), I'm sure Thug has got quite a following on here now. He's gorgeous :wub: (need more pics please! :))

I had to pop down to a local tack shop at the weekend and had told some of the staff last week what had happened (omitting the yard's details).

This week I was chatting to one of the staff members who had been there years and another member of staff asked which yard it was. Imagine my shock when I said to her in a low voice "would you believe me if I said it's XXXX yard?" and the woman said "Oh, yes. I would as a matter of fact".

She'd only went there a few times and said she'd got enormously bad vibes off both the woman and the whole place, and said considering they are a stables charging for lessons, the place is a bloody disgrace.

She went on to say she had experience of Grant and he is fab (why do I get the good recommendations afterwards :rolleyes:) and that if Thug is with Grant he's in the best place ever. doG I wish people had have told me honestly a couple of months ago when I was looking and not filled me with b*llsh*t.

I am so lucky to have such a strong fearless horse, had he been a quiet timid type I believe they could quite possibly have caused long-term trauma to him. :(

• 2 weeks later...

No pics yet, Thug had a bit of a lay-off last week as Grant had the Royal to contend with (and took his round pen with him) so he wasn't ridden much although I would think they've probably kept on with the spookbusting and desensitising. I spoke to Grant and he said he was going to give Thug a free week to make up for the Royal so I would think he's due back on Saturday :wub:

Grant did say that he was doing well in trot with a jockey up, and said his expression when he's being ridden is something to see - he is really enjoying it :laugh: :wub: