UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bmi

Jazz

what do you think about this body mass index?

I cant have an operation because I have to be 25 or under.

Ive just lost half a stone, im down to 11 stone, the lightest ive ever been, but my BMI says im obese. Doesnt give you incentive does it?

what do you think about this body mass index?

I cant have an operation because I have to be 25 or under.

Ive just lost half a stone, im down to 11 stone, the lightest ive ever been, but my BMI says im obese. Doesnt give you incentive does it?

Is this any help?

under 18.5 is underweight

18.5-25 is healthy weight

25-30 is overweight

30-35 is obese

over 35 is very obese.

They operated on you before and you hadn't lost the weight then. Can you complain to anyone? Throw a big wobbly? Lay down in fron tof the hospital and refuse to move until they do something?

What a bunch of ...can't think of a bad enough thing to call them.

:GroupHug:

ive gone from 33 to 30.something, so I suppose if I drop to below the 30 it will be a kick in their face, then I can start throwing a paddy, and I will

do you all know what your BMI is and do you think its fair what catagory it puts you in?

Edited by Jazz

i think my bmi is about 29, im 5'3" and about 12st (was 11st last year but have since rediscovered my sweet tooth :laugh: )

I'm only a dress size 14 though. According to the chart i should weigh 10st 3 max, last time i weighed that I was a size 10, so if I was my "ideal" bmi, it would mean I'd be a dress size 8-10 :unsure: I don't think it takes into account muscle and how much more that weighs.

I have to agree, I'm 5'4" and weigh about 10st 7lb, which apparently still puts me in the overweight category, but I wear a size 10 and get told that I am slim and don't need to lose weight, I am physically very strong and pretty well muscled so I just put it down to that - still makes me feel crap though - I have recently lost 2 stone and they still call me overweight - a real slap in the face for all the hard work to lose the weight.

I assume that doctors don't want to take any more risks than they have to, and that's why they set a BMI limit? I don't see it as some kind of punishment - presumably they want you to have the best chance of coming through surgery safely.

I suppose in an emergency they have no choice but to go ahead whatever the risks.

I think BMI is a good indication, however BMI is/was identified through fat measurements not just height against weight. I don't know if they do this still, but it was done with pinchers in specified areas to identify fat and gave a better indication of body mass. Height against weight charts will only give an indication of this.

I think hospitals need to set guidelines for what makes things safe and we need to abide by them where possible.

I think we as a nation are *used* to seeing larger people and thinking this is the norm, yet on the other hand still think that America is an *obese* nation....unfortunately we are catching up with them quite well.

I don't think it will be a kick in their face they will be pleased that you have lost the weight and are able to have an operation which I assume will benefit you. Honestly, they don't do it to make people's lives hard but to lower the risk to those that undergo surgery. Hopefully you will get some satisfaction from having lost the weight aswell.

I have to agree, I'm 5'4" and weigh about 10st 7lb, which apparently still puts me in the overweight category, but I wear a size 10 and get told that I am slim and don't need to lose weight, I am physically very strong and pretty well muscled so I just put it down to that - still makes me feel crap though - I have recently lost 2 stone and they still call me overweight - a real slap in the face for all the hard work to lose the weight.

BMI is a funny thing. You are right. Being fit and muscular does mean that you weigh more and consequently have a higher BMI. Take a really fit and muscular rugby player, work out their BMI - they probably come out as obese.

My OH had a big row with a nurse once, who was trying to tell him he was obese. He was the fittest he had ever been in his life. Very muscular, low body fat, doing hours of exercise and training everyday. She wouldn't have it and didn't seem to understand that he weighed alot because he was muscular and fit. :rolleyes:

I think BMI is a good indication, however BMI is/was identified through fat measurements not just height against weight. I don't know if they do this still, but it was done with pinchers in specified areas to identify fat and gave a better indication of body mass. Height against weight charts will only give an indication of this.

I've seen that done to work out body fat % but not BMI. Do you mean they then went on to estimate body fat in order to find out why the person had a high BMI?

Edited by Abigailj

I'm in the Overweight area at around 29. I'm losing some weight at the moment as I'd got up towards obese, which I think was too much - but I intend to stay in the overweight zone, I am not going down as far as they think is 'healthy'. I was 'healthy' weight for several years, and I had all sorts of problems with mood swings, weakness, lack of concentration and fainting: on one occasion I fainted while riding a bicycle, which could have been really nasty.

I weighed 9 stone then and I don't care what the chart says, 9 stone at 5'7 is underweight, or it is for me, anyway.

I was amazed when I got a bit heavier how much stronger and more resilient I felt, I got fewer colds and was generally much healthier. I may not look as good, but I'm sticking to my flab, I think I need it.

What's the operation you can't have Jazz?

BMI is a funny thing. You are right. Being fit and muscular does mean that you weigh more and consequently have a higher BMI. Take a really fit and muscular rugby player, work out their BMI - they probably come out as obese.

Did anyone see the programme Jamie Oliver did ages ago - there was a really thin man on that and a muscular rugby player ( :wub: ) and the rugby player came out as obese because of his BMI but clearly wasn't. When the thin man had his fat measured - he was actually fairly fat!

Trinny and Susanna ( :angry: ) had a programme last night that looked at the fat gene amongst other things - was interesting to see all the different body shapes. There was a slim mother with an ample daughter - the mother had both copies of the fat gene but the daughter had none. Very strange.