UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Greyhound Question

riley

Do Greys get hungrier as they get older?? I can't fill Riles which from a hound who has always needed free feeding to get him to eat and who goes on hunger strike when stressed is completely odd. He's been wormed and isnt exercising any more than before so I just wondered if its a breed thing or an age thing?

Also he's neither lost weight or gained weight.

Ta

:)

Can't say I've ever had experience of this myself. Molly got fussier as she got older and ate less, if anything, I had to watch she didn't drop too much weight.

If the increased appetite is a sudden thing and if there are any other changes (less active, any hair loss or skin problems) I'd be inclined to get it checked out, as greys are quite prone to thyroid problems.

I think we need a picture :wub:

If Mollydog got hungrier as she got older we would all have been devoured in our beds by now. :laughingsmiley:

No, she's definitely gone the other way. She's still a hungry, hungry dog, but not the Monstrous Ever-starving Mouth of Doom that she used to be.

Az though, I think has become rather more partial to a nice snack as he has got older, though he's still not a greedy dog.

hi guys

Mel, Riles is 8 this birthday and Im just not used to putting his food down and it going straight away, breakfast is usually there til it gets changed at teatime or next doors ginger tom eats it which ever happens first :laugh:

When he first came he was a snaffler and a counter surfer, as he settled in he got picky but now although he doesn't surf, steal or bin raid he will lick your biscuit/cheese/other tasty morsel if he can reach it and then look at you as if to say 'you gonna eat that then?' He can hear the fridge opening from bed yet oddly not his name being called if he feels that way inclined (joke). It's like he's watching pingpong if H and I are having Saturday night tv curry night and you can feel his hot breath and tickly whiskers right behind you if you're chopping at the counter.

Having said all that he still won't eat just anything (fruit, veg, Jack Droppings i.e. crisps etc) so maybe as you say with Az Victoria, he's just becoming more partial to a tasty morsel - or three :rolleyes:

Fee, he's not exhibiting any other symptoms but thank you :flowers:

My lot generally get fussier and eat less as they get older, I think. Sometimes I have trouble getting them to eat much on one day then they trough again the next. Pixie is 10 now and has always been a picky eater.

Ronnie just eats relentlessly (but he's only two). I think he's a lab in a greyhound suit which is a size too small.

Actually Ollie who is now 12 is getting faster at eating and constantly on the lookout for a treat, she came to us at 8 and seemed to have a take it or leave it attitude to food, now I just about get the bowl down before she pounces in.

Slightly off topic - Ollie never puts on weight no matter what she eats :) (always been very skinny) but sometimes she looks too thin anyone with any ideas to beef her up a bit?