UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wild Birds

ranirottie

I know people don't tend to like pigeons but we had a baby one in overnight when it was learning to fly (and failing dismally and then got "stuck" in a hedge as it was getting dark) and released it the next morning onto the lower roof, from where it was collected by mum and dad :wub: so I rather like them :)

That wasn't much help was it? Sorry :laugh:

I love pigeons :wub:

Ooops didnt quite get the quotey thing right Sorry!

Edited by ruff72

Are you sure that the bread etc on the ground is not attracting rats? If so that might scare off the little birds.

Also, didn't you say that it was last year you took down the old kennels and planted a new lawn and shrubs? Probably the little birds were used to the old setup, it might take them a little while for the new shrubs to grow up and the little birds to get used to it all and come back.

Have you tried just leaving the hanging food out for a while so that only the smaller birds can get food?

We get a broad range of birds here and the gardens are quite open. Magpies, rooks and blackbirds (and half the neighbourhood cats :rolleyes: :laugh: ) come for my neighbour's catfood which she leaves out for a hedgehog. We also get sparrows finches, robins and tits :wub:

We have a family of Robins in our garden :wub: :wub: :wub: Yesterday we counted two adults and three babies :biggrin: They are lovely, tis fab to see them flying around/looking for food and perching on the tree branches. Managed to get some photos of one of the babies, will post them later :)

We have lots of different birds in our garden, but we are lucky in having an old railway embankment at the back which is left wild and is a great habitat for birds.

I've noticed this year, though, that they aren't taking the food I put out as much as they have in the past. Things like fat balls used to disappear almost instantly, the ones I have out at the moment have hardly been touched in days. I suspect the mild winter and spring means there's lots of other food around for them so they have less need to feed in gardens.

We have a family of bluetits in our nesting box for the fifth year running :wub: Last year I saw the babies coming out of the nest, which was wonderful.

I've bought a new feeder and some food for my birdies this morning. They've previously refused to consume anything I've offered, not liking the bird table that hung from the washing line or the peanuts in a feeder hanging from a tree branch. So I've hidden the new one in one of their favourite bushes in the hope that as it's out of the way they'll use it. My birdies are spoilt :rolleyes:

thank you for the advice, especially MooandBoo. I stopped putting out the stuff for the big birds and just kept the hanging feeders and only put seed on the table and I now have crowds of sparrows, some bluetits, a chaffinch and a couple of slightly larger birds with quite a distinct red on their bellies (not sure what they are). My bird cafe is becoming quite busy, I just love to watch them.x :)

I felt guilty about not feeding the big birds so decided to put the big birds food out later in the day for them to give the little ones a chance during the morning/afternoon. Anyway, I just watched a very amiusing thing. A mother starling was hopping round picking up bits of bread and stuffing them in the mouth of a baby that was nearly her size, but every time she turned her back the baby spat it out. Kids are all the same!!

Edited by ranirottie