UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Social Services Type Peeps On Here.

Kathyw

Mum's local council pays almost £500.00 per week for Mum's carehome.

I was having a lookie round at different areas in the country and was quite amazed at how cheap some of the places are outside of London.

These are not 'dumps' but seemed to be much better residential homes than the ones in London.

Even the private ones were so much cheaper.

Does anyone know why this difference please?

Not a social services person, but I would hazard a guess that it may be supply and demand? More people in London, same number of or less care homes than outside London (due to space/housing demand/development etc), and the wages will be higher in London as the cost of living is higher, so that is reflected in the price too.

certainly not standard country wide

when we had to look at this we were amazed at the variations in prices and quality. its even harder if there is an element of nursing care involved - but not enough to qualify.

it can be horribly expensive.

yet my step dads mum is in a fantastic residential home in Llandudno that quality wise is better than any we saw near hear and yet is about half the price

i do have to say though that social care for the elderly in the UK sucks and you get very little help

The home that Bill went into was £274 per week, it was a really good home that cared for the patients in there. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and they were treated with a great deal of respect. The employed someone to come in 5 days a week to work with the patients playing various games or making things. For special events most of the decorations were made by the patients. The meals were really good as well, Bill prefered their food to mine :huh: but if they wanted something between meals, they got it.

The council who pay for Mum's care did fight me on my choice as the fees where slightly higher but I never imagined the difference around the country. I just thought it was because camden is dearer property wise.

I want to move out of London and to be near the sea and so am looking for somewhere for Mum too.

I am not happy with where she is anymore as the standards have definately dropped dramatically and almost every week I have to speak to the manager. The staff have been spoken too and things have improved except for a couple of staff who seem to enjoy causing problems.

What is promised and what is actually given are vastly different.

I know that can be said of any home but for example - Mum has a commode in her room for night time but has a bit of a walk to the toilets in the daytime. In Norfolk she would have en suite for that £293.00, a much larger room and amount of residents is far smaller, the food is usually local produce (fresh instead of frozen). The ratio of carers to clients is larger so to me that makes for better care for Mum.

I now do all Mum's washing except for her bed linen and every other day I find someone else's underwear in Mum's little bin.

Mum never wore it, it has been placed there by a carer as only carers have access to the key for the lock I had installed on Mum's door.

I don't mind the washing, she is my Mum, but I think about and question the manager on the other residents. If this is happening to Mum when they know I am there every other day and have a big mouth where Mum's care is concerned, how are they treating other residents, who maybe have no-one to speak up for them? Do they wear other peoples underwear and clothes?

I know that this can happen anywhere but I do feel that the quality of care in the smaller homes is far better.

I don't want to make another mistake with Mum's care.

The council who pay for Mum's care did fight me on my choice as the fees where slightly higher but I never imagined the difference around the country. I just thought it was because camden is dearer property wise.

I want to move out of London and to be near the sea and so am looking for somewhere for Mum too.

I am not happy with where she is anymore as the standards have definately dropped dramatically and almost every week I have to speak to the manager. The staff have been spoken too and things have improved except for a couple of staff who seem to enjoy causing problems.

What is promised and what is actually given are vastly different.

I know that can be said of any home but for example - Mum has a commode in her room for night time but has a bit of a walk to the toilets in the daytime. In Norfolk she would have en suite for that £293.00, a much larger room and amount of residents is far smaller, the food is usually local produce (fresh instead of frozen). The ratio of carers to clients is larger so to me that makes for better care for Mum.

I now do all Mum's washing except for her bed linen and every other day I find someone else's underwear in Mum's little bin.

Mum never wore it, it has been placed there by a carer as only carers have access to the key for the lock I had installed on Mum's door.

I don't mind the washing, she is my Mum, but I think about and question the manager on the other residents. If this is happening to Mum when they know I am there every other day and have a big mouth where Mum's care is concerned, how are they treating other residents, who maybe have no-one to speak up for them? Do they wear other peoples underwear and clothes?

I know that this can happen anywhere but I do feel that the quality of care in the smaller homes is far better.

when Mum first went in there they were taken out once a week, there were quizzes and lots of activities available. Last summer they went out twice and there are very few activities on offer nowdays, not enough staff.

whereas in the smaller homes outside of London, I feel they have so much more to offer.

I don't want to make another mistake with Mum's care.

It does vary, and I would say that London is more expensive, as wages, property more expensive there. Also depends on the facilities and type of room, en suite etc. My lovely mum died is 2001 and we were paying £530 per week for her care, this was in Denham, Bucks, though, an expensive area. Mum sadly needed full nursing care, so we paid more than someone who just needed residential care and could basically care for themselves. Some care homes are staffed by RGN's and care assistants, and some don't have qualified staff, at least not RGN's anyway, so this will be reflected in the price too. Denham Manor, where mum was, was a lovely building, gardens, etc, but her care wasn't always as good as it should have been. When she was transferred there from hosptial it was a week before her hair was washed. I kept quiet for as long as I could, then I exploded, they certainly made sure it was washed more often after that. My advice; look around as many homes as you can, don't be afraid to ask questions and complain if you are not happy.