UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Control Orders In Northampton

Yeti

I've just found out that dog control orders are to be introduced in Northampton. There are five orders; one - that dog owners must pick up poo - is through the consultation stage. This and three of the others seem OK. However order 4 is a different matter; this seeks to limit the number of dogs being handled by an individual to six - not good when you have seven dogs!!

I of course think that people should be in control of the dogs they are handling; but this should be irrespective of the number. To place an arbitrary number on how many dogs a person can handle is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

If you agree with me, and particularly if you live in or around, or visit, Northampton, please download the leaflet from the Northampton Council website and complete and return the comment section (it's FREEPOST) before 16th May when the consultation period closes.

You can also e-mail [email protected] with your comments. A list of councillors in Northampton is here if you live in the area and want to write to yours.

If anyone has any advice on how to combat these orders I'd be grateful if you'd share it.

If you can help in any way - thank you.

Unfortunately to many dog walkers walk to many dogs together off lead, I saw on another board that one had 11 off lead dogs all running round. How can you contol 11 dogs? If a fight broke out this dog walker wouldn't be able to get control until some damage had been done.

Unfortunately to many dog walkers walk to many dogs together off lead, I saw on another board that one had 11 off lead dogs all running round. How can you contol 11 dogs? If a fight broke out this dog walker wouldn't be able to get control until some damage had been done.

That's why we have a similar order in Wandsworth - limiting it to 4 dogs per person. The (paid) dog walkers round here are often a menace - and they used to have 10+ dogs at a time. :angry:

As always, though, it's the responsible people who suffer because of the actions of a few irresponsible ones.

That's why we have a similar order in Wandsworth - limiting it to 4 dogs per person. The (paid) dog walkers round here are often a menace - and they used to have 10+ dogs at a time. :angry:

As always, though, it's the responsible people who suffer because of the actions of a few irresponsible ones.

I think that's why the limits are being introduced, but I really do think the issue should be the ability to control the dogs you have, not the number. I, and I'm sure many others, have come across people who can not handle one or two dogs; yet under the proposed legislation they will not be breaking the law when people in control of their dogs will be simply because they have more than a certain number. Makes me ***!!!!!!@@@@ mad :angry: (Rant over)

Northants dogs

You might notice a link to DNB on the subscriber pages

Thanks for this - I have signed up with them. Thought they do seem to be ignoring the issue of numbers of dogs in their blurb and their petition. I sincerely hope that will change and they represent all responsible dog owners.

I think that's why the limits are being introduced, but I really do think the issue should be the ability to control the dogs you have, not the number. I, and I'm sure many others, have come across people who can not handle one or two dogs; yet under the proposed legislation they will not be breaking the law when people in control of their dogs will be simply because they have more than a certain number. Makes me ***!!!!!!@@@@ mad :angry: (Rant over)

You're absolutely right, of course.

and I'm sure many others, have come across people who can not handle one or two dogs; yet under the proposed legislation they will not be breaking the law when people in control of their dogs will be simply because they have more than a certain number. Makes me ***!!!!!!@@@@ mad :angry: (Rant over)

Any dog deemed to be out of control in a public place comes under the DDA so if anyone with one or two dogs dont have them under proper control they will in fact be breaking the law anyway , mind you we all know how fully the DDA is enforced for the good of the dogs and the public dont we ? :rolleyes:

I cannot imagine being able to have full control over 7 dogs myself in fact due to the size of my dogs i could not have proper control over a third dog , can i be nosey and ask how you manage ? Do you walk them all together and if you do how do you keep them under control ? I am asking genuinely as i said i cannot imagine trying to walk 3 let alone 7 but as i said that probably to do with the size of my dogs :laugh: :laugh:

I can fully understand people with over the limit of these new laws would be upset but realistically how many people could maintain control over 7 dogs , i am not saying you cant , just thinking out loud that something like this for the general public is maybe not a bad thing, all things considered ?

I hope i havent offended you im just genuinely nosey i suppose :laugh: :laugh:

Fiona xx

Any dog deemed to be out of control in a public place comes under the DDA so if anyone with one or two dogs dont have them under proper control they will in fact be breaking the law anyway , mind you we all know how fully the DDA is enforced for the good of the dogs and the public dont we ? :rolleyes:

I cannot imagine being able to have full control over 7 dogs myself in fact due to the size of my dogs i could not have proper control over a third dog , can i be nosey and ask how you manage ? Do you walk them all together and if you do how do you keep them under control ? I am asking genuinely as i said i cannot imagine trying to walk 3 let alone 7 but as i said that probably to do with the size of my dogs :laugh: :laugh:

I can fully understand people with over the limit of these new laws would be upset but realistically how many people could maintain control over 7 dogs , i am not saying you cant , just thinking out loud that something like this for the general public is maybe not a bad thing, all things considered ?

I hope i havent offended you im just genuinely nosey i suppose :laugh: :laugh:

Fiona xx

So if any dog out of control is against the law, what is the point of limiting the number of dogs? Other than perhaps to massage some bureaucrats egotistical need to wield power? (Sorry, is my cynicism starting to show?)

Regarding how do I control seven dogs, and BTW it takes much, much more that a question to offend :biggrin: , I have just got back from dog training with Rosie where I was doing a bit of campaigning and was asked exactly the same question.

The answer is I don't know - not very helpful am I :closedeyes: - The Beastly Beasts just behave themselves. In fact they are often (and by that I mean every time we are out and meet new people, so multiple times in a weekend) complemented on their behaviour.

They are five greyhounds and two lurchers, and they do, as DanishPastry says, just trot along (not sure about dainty in a couple of cases :) ) and are really gentle; the term "laid back" implies far too much activity most of the time.

There are some things I do that I think help with controlling them:

First and foremost they are rewarded - verbally and/or with treats - for good behaviour, and told off or ignored for bad; they soon learn.

If there are other dogs around we will always stop and let them walk by - that way we can not be perceived as aggressive by the other dogs; they are rewarded for behaving when other dogs go by and I think they know when they are on to a good thing. :biggrin:

If they are off lead they are usually - not always (just to keep them on their toes) - rewarded for a good recall.

If other dogs that we don't know are around The Beasts do not go off lead - I don' know if they would "gang up" and I don't want to find out. With dogs they know or when we are on our own they all go off lead. If anyone else is around they go back on the lead.

They are well exercised, and I believe that fit and healthy dogs - both body and mind - do not feel the need to create aggro.

Then there's the "background" things that mean that I am the boss, and what I say goes; for example:

Food and treats are given at home in a certain order - the order they arrived in, so Kai is always first, then Monty, Jack, Troy, Lucy, Mack then Rosie.

When they get out of the van it is in the same order - one at a time.

When we go in and out of the house I go first.

I decide when it's time for cuddles or play.

So on and so forth - in fact, almost everything I do with them is about me being the one in charge.

And (this is blowing ones own trumpet - so sorry if it seems arrogant in any way) I feel I know my dogs and can read their signs and behaviour reasonably well and intervene to avoid any situation developing.

So I guess it's a combination of knowing my dogs, having dogs that are pretty laid back to start with, having well defined behaviours and boundaries all of the time, and erring on the side of caution.

I should say that by no means do I have the largest group of dogs that are walked together; there is a lady in Northampton that walks 10 dogs - a mixture of breeds - and never seems to have any problem, and Wendy in Cardiff walks 14 without any problem; those are just a couple I know of and I bet there are more.

I hope the answers are what you wanted to know, but if there are more questions please ask away.

Sorry, slightly off topic but is it ok then for 2 people to walk together with up to 12 dogs? Or 3 with 18? How on earth will they police that?

The way I read it is that if the number of dogs is no more than 6 * humans it's OK.

I suppose I'm trying to ask - what about if you (with your 6 or 7) go for a walk with a friend (who has 2 or 3 or 4) Is that ok or is that going to cause an issue?

It's crossed my mind sometimes when I've met up with friends and their dogs, especially since I've got 6..