UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Does A Hernia Feel Like?

yena

Well I've been to the doctors and she doesn't know what it is :wacko: :wacko: . She told me to go back later if it's still hurting, which it as done for 2/3 months :mecry: :mecry: and now after all the prodding and poking it's really really hurting :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

Gee, that was helpful. :rolleyes:

I'd go back, if I were you - or call the surgery now and tell them the pain is worse. That doesn't sound right at all. :GroupHug:

Well I've been to the doctors and she doesn't know what it is :wacko: :wacko: . She told me to go back later if it's still hurting, which it as done for 2/3 months :mecry: :mecry: and now after all the prodding and poking it's really really hurting :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

so sorry, can't believe she doesn't know

definitely go back again and be more insistent

you shouldn't be in pain for so long

can you ask to see another doctor?

my pain in that area turned out to be a inflamation of the stomach ..... and also acid indigestion

he diagnosed that after having a good prod and poke which really hurt

Do you know what I'm sick to the back teeth of people being fobbed off like this. I've been telling doctors I'm not right since January since my op and am only now about to be referred back to hospital.

You didn't see a locum did you?

Make an appointment to see your own gp and say I have a pain. Do not leave the surgery until they have some idea what it is. You're in pain and the prodding has made it worse. I know what that's like because I'm still in pain from being prodded on Wednesday.

Tell them any symptoms you have. What the pain is like where it is. Does it move about. Is it constant. She should have asked you questions about your bowels and your movements. Unfortunately your tum will be prodded again but it's up to the gp to come up with something. You have pain. It needs to be sorted. :GroupHug:

I agree, a fob off is not an answer.

However, this does highlight with some Doctors why it it important to see them ASAP if something is wrong, then when you go back in a few weeks/months time then they can't send you away again It's a shame cause it's a waste of time for everyone but I realise why some people have driven doctors to this state, but they do need to learn to tell the difference between really and imaginative situations.

Yena, ask for a second opinion from someone else, if necessary book two appointments with two different Doctors and make sure both of them see you.

xx

Thanks everybody, I've spoken to somebody at work and they said the same. The Doctor I saw wasn't my normal Doc, I've decided I'm going to give it a week than maybe go back. I'm not a person that goes to the Doc all the time, last time I went was one year ago when I went about my twisted ankle and that's still giving me pain, and the time before that was two years after a car accident and I damaged my shoulder.

All I can say is what has happened to me to try and illustrate my point.

I saw a registrar at the hospital instead of the consultant who when I told her the problems with my tum and said it didn't feel right laughed and said I'd just had major surgery. She discharged me back into the hands of my gp.

I have been backwards and forwards to my doctors since but have struggled to get an appointment with my own gp. You would think because you see a doctor that you are getting the same attention and knowledge as you would if you see your own gp. For me that hasn't been the case. One of the locums told me she couldn't put me on HRT as it wasn't her place to. I would have to see my own gp. Several locums have prodded my tum and told me it's not normal. One actually told me I would feel like this for life. She laughed too and said they don't tell you that before you have the surgery do they.

I actually started to believe these people and though I was being a hypochondriac and a wimp and started looking for work and attending interviews.

By chance I went to the doctors for a sick note extension. I thank my lucky stars that I managed to finally see my own doctor. He was horrified at what I told him but was professional. He immediately referred me back to the hospital as an urgent case and I go back there next week for investigations. I am far from right.

Do not be fobbed off. This is going to be my bug bear from now on. I'm going to bore you all silly.

I'm sure they are some fantastic locums out there but by goodness there are some dreadful people. Talk about your life in their hands.

Please please go back to the doctors if not today on Monday and see your own gp. Pain is a sign of something. It doesn't mean it's serious but something is wrong. The sooner it's treated the sooner you will feel better. It could even be they have to work through a process of ruling things out so it could take time for them to work out what the matter is with various treatments, tests if needed. If you end up having to be referred to hospital you will wait for months for the appointment and then again for any treatment. So please the soonest you go the better for your health.

The other thing is it could be something that as time goes on becomes more and more painful and you will be stuck like I was swallowing painkillers like sweets and rolling around in agony and still having to wait.

Because I was left for such a long time my doctor knows me well. He saw the state of me when I had a cyst just before my op. I pleaded with him to help me because I felt like something had ruptured and was in extreme pain. He knows I can actually sit through quite intense pain and laugh about it. So thankfully he knew when I saw him that he really did need to refer me back to the hospital and also knew I wasn't joking when he saw me this Wednesday.

Hopefully it's something and nothing that can be sorted out in a heartbeat. Most things however little can turn a lot nastier or take longer to get over when left. So you are costing the NHS more money by not going to the doctors.

Thanks Jacobean, it's horrible when you know somethings wrong but, people won't listen.

You would of thought the facts that I didn't go often to the Docs was enough for her to take me more seriously. I just didn't realize now often the pain was there until I decided to go. I've never had a lot of confidence in Doctors, I always think I'm been fobed off. Maybe if I went in crying I'd get better treatment, might give that a go next time :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Jacobean, it's horrible when you know somethings wrong but, people won't listen.

You would of thought the facts that I didn't go often to the Docs was enough for her to take me more seriously. I just didn't realize now often the pain was there until I decided to go. I've never had a lot of confidence in Doctors, I always think I'm been fobed off. Maybe if I went in crying I'd get better treatment, might give that a go next time :laugh: :laugh:

I think the fact that you have had the pain for a few months made her think that it can't be that bad, or you would have come sooner.

Yes, go in crying, or at least stress how bad it is, even if only sometimes. Doctors can only go on what you tell them. If you seem able to cope, then they will let you.

You could go back now and stress how much worse it is after being poked and prodded.

If they don't know what it is then ask for a referral as an urgent case to a general surgeon at your local hospital.

Locums are usually locums for a reason :wink: The last one I saw at my GPs was so appalling I made a complaint to my GP and told them I would change GPs rather than ever see her again.