UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Another Deep Breath

Lizzie

Hyperventilating almost!

Ria has just returned from the vet. Urine test complete. No sign of liver/kidney failure......but very high protein levels pointing to tumours. :mecry: Now what do I do? :mecry:

She has a heart murmur, almost blind and deaf, incontinent and maybe senile. I'm at a loss now, do I go with exploratory op or what?

Life throws shite occasionally, but this is in bucket loads. :mecry:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Corrine :GroupHug: What a horrible week for you :GroupHug:

Is that what the vet recommends - exploratory op? Does he/she suspect tumours or is there another likely cause for the high protein levels?

Sending very good thoughts to you all.

Sorry to say the vet does suspect a tumour/s. Due to Ria's age and condition I don't think I could put her through an op just for a "lookie see". :(

I've gone through all this with Danny nearly 18 months ago, we decided against the op and he's gone on to have all that quality time with us up to now. I have to think at her age it would be detrimental to her. If it proved what the vet suspects and inoperable, I will have put her through the pain and discomfort basically for nothing.

Going to put thinking head back on, lots of pro's and con's to think of, plus much soul searching.

I believe Ria is a grand old age isn't she. I'm really sorry to hear she's so poorly too. What does your vet think? I normally find that vets help me to make decisions. I ask them what would you do if it was your dog. I always seem to get a better and clearer answer out of them. My thoughts are if you operate how much more time does that give you both together. We never know when they're going to go. Some live to a ripe old age but going by all of her other ailments it doesn't sound as though you would have that much longer with her anyway. I would keep her comfy as much as poss and leave her alone. But then I'm thinking she's very old and she's not my dog. Only you know how good she is in herself and whether you think it might be worth it. Send a photo to the Reiki folk so they can put her on their list for you. She's a lovely old girl and having a Spin myself I have a soft spot for her. Thinking of you all. :GroupHug:

I believe Ria is a grand old age isn't she. I'm really sorry to hear she's so poorly too. What does your vet think? I normally find that vets help me to make decisions. I ask them what would you do if it was your dog. I always seem to get a better and clearer answer out of them. My thoughts are if you operate how much more time does that give you both together. We never know when they're going to go. Some live to a ripe old age but going by all of her other ailments it doesn't sound as though you would have that much longer with her anyway. I would keep her comfy as much as poss and leave her alone. But then I'm thinking she's very old and she's not my dog. Only you know how good she is in herself and whether you think it might be worth it. Send a photo to the Reiki folk so they can put her on their list for you. She's a lovely old girl and having a Spin myself I have a soft spot for her. Thinking of you all. :GroupHug:

She is on the list but a photo would be good to focus more

Awww Corrine i am so sorry hun you are really going through the mill right now with your fur babies :GroupHug:

It is a horrible situation you are in but you know Ria better than anyone and i know you will do the right thing for your baby , yu have a lot of support on here which will help you get through what ever you decide to do .

When Taz was so ill i refused to put him through any more tests , he was not old by any means but he deteriorated so quickly i could not put him through more intrusive tests .

It is always such a personal desicion but we make it for the right reasons what ever way we choose to go .

Stay strong and loads of love to you and yours :GroupHug:

Fiona xx