UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Toilet Training ...... Not Going In The Garden

Natalie34

Hi there

our beautiful dog Lady is house trained but I am having trouble with her not wanting to go to the toilet in the garden

She will go out first thing for her wee but then will follow us around in the morning for about an hour whining cause she obvioulsy needs to go out again and do a poo but she will not go in the garden

but within minutes of being out on a walk she does a poo

Lady is a rescue dog so it may be that she was trained to not do a poo in the garden, but its not always convenient for me to take her out for a walk straight away so I would rather she went in the garden to relieve herself rather than holding on until she is walked

Has anyone else had a problem like this? how did you cure it?

Any advice greatfully received.

I've only had the opposite problem - a dog who was apparently trained to only go in the garden - a bit tricky when you're spending a week 150 miles away in a caravan....... She eventually 'went' on the third day and it was fine from then.

How about collecting a bit of her poo, and/or wee and putting it in her own garden before she goes out there. Take her out on a lead frequently, and simply don't take her for a walk for a few days, only go in the garden, then when she does eventually relieve herself, lots and lots of praise and a high value food reward.

Had this problem with my last dog and my current one. I think they see the garden as part of the house so do not foul there. If I visit someone they both go/went in that garden but, if they visited regularly they stopped using that garden to toilet.

I just take them to the verge outside the house and pick it up.

TBH. I did not try and cure it as it was taking longer to try and pursuade them to go in the garden. It's just quicker to go for a 5 minute walk at bed time.

Edited by one.eyed.dog

Teddy is an exceptionally 'clean' dog. He has NEVER not once messed in the house even when busting with diarrhea (cheat spell) in the middle of night scratching at the door waiting for me to let him out. On a walk he'll 'look' for a toilet usually well off the main path, down a bank somewhere and always behind bushes if there are any (no kidding :laugh: ). He is incredibly particular by natural choice. He doesn't like going in the garden but it's never been a problem. As Ellie said, the garden to some dogs is still part of their home and they don't want to foul it.

thank you :)

this morning she had her usual morning wee in the garden but again waited an hour until we went on our morning walk and then literally 2 mins down the path she did her poo.

bless her

I think it bothers me more for when she goes to stay with my ex or my parents when I go on holiday ...... as they will be ones to put her out in the garden for 'toilets' until the time they want to take her for a walk, which may be much later than she is used too.

Obviously I will tell them what she is like and trust them to do whats necessary.

thank you :)

this morning she had her usual morning wee in the garden but again waited an hour until we went on our morning walk and then literally 2 mins down the path she did her poo.

bless her

I think it bothers me more for when she goes to stay with my ex or my parents when I go on holiday ...... as they will be ones to put her out in the garden for 'toilets' until the time they want to take her for a walk, which may be much later than she is used too.

Obviously I will tell them what she is like and trust them to do whats necessary.

Hi natalie

Our Judy is a bit like that, although if I have done the paths with biological washing liqued she goes no problem i can only assume from that its a teritorial thing and not wanting to pee over her brothers or sisters smell I dontr know just a thought

If she goes straight into the walk couldn't you just take her down the road and back instead of the garden in the morning and then have her proper walk later as usual?

yes I can, but I was trying to train Lady so that she knows she can do a poo in the garden if she is desperate, and not have to wait til she goes on her walk, as she will wee in the garden no problem

but its probably not worth the hassle and confusion and my family will just have to understand that she will need to go down the road a bit first thing to relieve herself until she goes on her main walk :)

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

bring poop back from walk and deposit in garden to start with and let her sniff it and see its an "ok" place to leave poop

then go out with her into garden when you would usually take her on a walk and if she seems "not interested" bring her back in and if she asks again - out again and repeat - walking near the other poop so she can sniff it.

claire x

p.s. have you tested whether she's ok in other gardens - sometimes dogs only do this for their own garden !

Akita is the same. She will have a wee if I TELL her to, in the garden, not if she is just left by herself, doesn't matter how many hours she has not had a wee. She will only poo out there if she is absolutely dying to go, which has only happened a couple of times here. I believe she sees it as part of the house. When we just came over, she went for wees out there quite happily, but now that it is "her" garden, she has changed. I don't think any amount of "training" can "cure" it... she can get quite self concious about me standing there waiting for her to go!

hi danishpastry

yep this can happen (is why some dogs wont "go" in their own garden and will in other peoples hehe). leaving poops in there that they've done can help them to see it isnt "house" :)

forgot to say give tons of praise / treats / toy play - whichever your dog likes best once they've been make a huge thing of it (you feel daft - i know i've been there !!!)

claire x

:) sorry i meant that last bit for the OP - that'll teach me to post in a rush :)

i've spent all winter with a muddy bog of a garden so i've had to always walk them and actually - it was OK, if someone had told me i'd have no garden for 6 months over winter i would have panicked but as these things creep up on you its somehow not such a "biggie" :) i'm a bit like that too with my training - if it doesnt matter to me, i wont "fix it" - e.g. i trained them to "go" on cue but i only have 1 "word" for wee/poop but it dont matter to me - as long as they do whatever they need :)

Edited by summersun