UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Question About Digestion

crazydiamond

My Byron boy bloated and torsioned 2 weeks ago. I was very lucky ~ they operated and he is still here with us.

I was just wondering if any of you have experience of dogs after bloat and gastroplasty (sp?) (thats where they have stitched his tummy to his inside to prevent a torsion again) and digestion.

We were back at the vets with him yesterday as he is not really keeping much in him. He was being sick yesterday and a bit the day before and has the most terrible wind plus loose motions.

The vet has given him some meds to make his tummy better and a Sensitivity Control diet ( Royal Canin ) made of tapioca (YUK) and blue whiting.

In the time I have had Byron I know how sensitive his tummy is, there are lots of things he cannot have.

Merlin had this a few years ago but he stopped breathing on the operation table so they didn't stitch the stomach to the chest wall as they normally do.

I feed Merlin Burgess Sensitive and find he is fine on that, I also soak it for a couple of hours before to soften it, it also swells so he thinks he is getting more than he is. Merlin gets 3 meals a day as well.

This may help. http://www.weimaraner-scotland.com/GenInt/Bloat.htm

Thanks for your replies :) the 6kg bag we got from the vet has cost £30 and will last eight days as he has to have 800g a day nsplit over four meals. I understand that there is a 15kg bag also so that will be more cost effective. I am looking into a way I may be able to get it even cheaper but I cannot say if I do manage it howcome I did :ninja: ( its not illegal though)

What is the main ingredient in the Burgess and the fat content please? This RC food is high in protein, 24%, which normally I would avoid. I think 18% is enough really.

http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/dogs/index...mp;expand=range

Here's the details on Supadog Sensitive. £19.49 for 15k is the same price as pets at home. It is what I normally feed Duke and his colitis has improved enormously on it.

However if you read my thread in Health about Silly o'clock pizzing you will see I have a theory about Supadog Sensitive but having said that my other two dogs have no such problem so it is probably all part of Duke's weird digestion. :wacko:

A bit different, but Lily spent a week at the R Vet College hospital a couple of years ago very seriously ill with digestive problems, lots of loss of blood etc. When I picked her up up I told them that she normally ate Burgess sensitive and they said that was every bit as good and irritant free as a vet supplied special diet - just to do small meals to start with. I'm pretty sure you can also buy it in smaller bags if you don't want to chance 15kg. I usually only pay about £15 for 15kg.

I pay £18 for 15k for my 6 dogs, Joe has a lot of allergies which is why I started mine on it but after Merlin had bloat, my vet said that it was as good as any for dogs with sensitive tummy's. In fact my vets fed it to Merlin when he was in with bloat.

You can get it in smaller bags.

Edited by Mrs Mop

• 4 weeks later...

I am at my wits end with Josh, he started in Feb with explosive runs with a lot of blood in it. Vet prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatories, then a diet of boiled rice. He was on Burns lamb and rice at the time. Gradually re introduced the burns and explosive bottoms again. Back to vet, repeat of previous treatments. Tried chappie as thats supposed to be good, loose stools and tummy rumblings with that one. I then changed to Barf feeding and it seemed to work, he has gone very thin however, after about 6 weeks of this diet he has started with the runs again. I have booked him in at the vet tomorrow (no temperature just the runs) I wonder about the super dog, I saw it in the pet shop and thought it was too cheap to be any good- but perhaps its worth a try, has anyone any other advice re this repeated problem

Many thanks :GroupHug:

I am at my wits end with Josh, he started in Feb with explosive runs with a lot of blood in it. Vet prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatories, then a diet of boiled rice. He was on Burns lamb and rice at the time. Gradually re introduced the burns and explosive bottoms again. Back to vet, repeat of previous treatments. Tried chappie as thats supposed to be good, loose stools and tummy rumblings with that one. I then changed to Barf feeding and it seemed to work, he has gone very thin however, after about 6 weeks of this diet he has started with the runs again. I have booked him in at the vet tomorrow (no temperature just the runs) I wonder about the super dog, I saw it in the pet shop and thought it was too cheap to be any good- but perhaps its worth a try, has anyone any other advice re this repeated problem

Poor Josh :GroupHug:

Has the vet taken a stool sample at any point to test?

I had this kind of thing when I first took Byron on - lasted about 6 months on and off like you describe. It really was a case of "suck it and see" with his diet. When he came to me he had this bag of food with him like nothing I have seen before or since and he needed about half a bucket twice a day. I thought I would change him to something better so I went with Burns too, a gradual change over 8 days from one to the other, all was well for about three weeks then he got uncontrollably runny. Three days of rice and coley got him right again so I start to introduce James Wellbeloved ~ again all was well for a few weeks. I too tried cooking for him, barf and Chappie ( he was best the longest on that) then I went to a non cereal based complete that being WAFCOL Salmon and potato for Large breeds. It suited him to a tee so long as I soak it in boiled water for an hour first as it has alot of swell in it. Have to say though there was alot out of the other end, it would take me three poo bags each time he went. :)

Byron is doing very well on the RC SC24 but it is awful expensive. A few days ago I started to introduce a small handful of his Wafcol and so far so good :) I will give it week with one handful per meal (he is down to three meals a day now and that is how I will leave it) and if no ill effect then I will increase it to two and so on.

However I hasten to add that the reason I did not take Byron to the vet about this is because he didnt get thin, He maintained his ideal weight or very close all the way through and there was never any blood.

Thank you for your comments, I have got three pots of poo to take to the the vet with me tomorrow ( well I will have after tomorrow mornings offerings :D ) I am also going to ask if they will do the blood test for EPI, my old dog had this and he went very thin too. I think its time to attack the problem from all ends.

Its a good idea to contact Burns, never thought of that. My vet said that Burns is often too rich for gsds even though it states on bag that it is good for dogs with EPI or sensitive tums.

I will let you know the verdict when it arrives, it is worrying when dogs go thin isnt it, he was a bit of a pudding before all ths started.