UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Amaryllis

suzeanna

We had a fantastic amaryllis this winter, it had huge flowers and threw up three flower heads at once, with enormous flowers on each..best we've ever seen! I would love to keep it and see if it will grow again next year, but I don't know if they do, and what should I do with it in the meantime? Its still got all its leaves, they've not died back at all.

Funny you should ask that. I have one that flowered last year. Once that died I cut the stem right down, waited till leaves died back, cut those down and put the pot outside and just ignored it. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that it had started to sprout again, so brought it in, watered and fed it and lo and behold it is flowering again, but only 1 stem so far and the leaves are beginning to grow slowly.

Edited by Bernie

Yes, they are fairly easy to keep year on year. I tend to just keep mine watered as pot plants and they flower reasonably well, but for a really good show you are supposed to let them dry out in the autumn and let them go dormant in a coolish (not cold) location for a couple of months, then bring them back in the warm and start watering again.

If you keep them watered all the time then they split off and make babies which will also flower in time.

... sorry, just saw last post. I wouldn't put it outside, myself, or only for the very warmest part of the summer. They are tropical and really don't appreciate our cold nights.

Edited by cycas