UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tens Machines

Tisaann

Has anyone used one of these and are they any good? I'm thinking of buying one for the constant cramp in the top half of my back. So far I have had 6 physio sessions (did help but hasn't cured) brought a massager and have ordered a new bed with a memory mattress (arrives 14th April) but wondered if one of these machines would be any good?

Has anyone used one of these and are they any good? I'm thinking of buying one for the constant cramp in the top half of my back. So far I have had 6 physio sessions (did help but hasn't cured) brought a massager and have ordered a new bed with a memory mattress (arrives 14th April) but wondered if one of these machines would be any good?

A friend of mine had one and thought it very good.

Have you thought of trying a Chiroprator Tisaann? They might be able to help you.

There is a very good one in the city - he was the only one who got rid of pain that had made me weep with every movement.

Edited by Kathyw

Have you thought of trying a Chiroprator Tisaann? They might be able to help you.

I have posted on here about a chiropractor Kathy but it seemed that they cause pain to get rid of pain and as I have been in agony since November the thought of going through a different kind of pain just fills me with horror. The way the pain started is a mystery in it'self. One morning I woke up and was fine and the when I was driving I thought blimey, I feel a bit stiff'. Got home and felt achey like when flu starts so put a hot water bottle where the pain was but during the evening I just couldn't settle and then thoughout the night I was climbing the walls in agony. Went to A&E in the morning as the pain was crippleing and he gave me pain killers which didn't help so it was back and forth to the doctors for pain relief and the up shot of it all is that the muscles from my shoulder blades to the base of my neck keep going into spasm and where this has been going on for so long I have now taught my body to tence against the pain, which causes pain but because the pain never goes completly away I never relax my muscles so if I could just get to be pain free I may be able to taech my muscles to relax. Have I made scence? :wacko:

Have you tried acupuncture?

My Dad tried the tens machine but it didn't work for him - it might be worth seeing if you can rent/borrow one from somewhere before you spend any money. I'm sure that pregnant women can rent or borrow them but it's so long ago that I can't remember where from :wacko: Perhaps your health clinic or pharmacist will know :flowers:

If the folllowing is of any help Tisann, I'm glad I posted it.

I first went to a chiropractor with pain in my sciatic nerve seven years ago.

She resolved it with massage and manipulation and no pain, any pain I've had with her is the result of post treatment for a day or two but nothing major.

I then fell in the street, fractured my hip and in agony a week later went to her.

She examined me, did nothing, and sent me to casualty with a note.

Two months later I was with her for treatment for a trapped nerve due to the fractured hip, again no pain during treatment but some post treatment due to the sheer comedown of losing the persisitent pain (like an adrenaline rush that's ended)

Now anytime I go to her I relish the relief I get she knows me well, and why I go to her and knows what to do and I know what to expect, and it's not pain

Find a chiropractor who is accreditited to a professional body, ask for references (I did this with mine) and you shoudl have good results.

Best of luck :flowers:

Have you had an X Ray Tisaann?

To suffer pain this long is not acceptable. It needs sorting.

I had a vague pain in my shoulders one friday that gradually got worse and by saturday afternoon we were out shopping and I was walking back to the car crying the pain was sooo bad. (I never cry in the street)

Monday I went to the Chiropractor and by the time I left the pain was gone and never came back.

Had he not got rid of it and pain killers have no real or lasting effect I would have asked for an xray to find out what was causing it.

You must get this sorted as it will keep pulling you further and further down.

:GroupHug: and hoping that you get some relief from the pain until you get it sorted.

I have posted on here about a chiropractor Kathy but it seemed that they cause pain to get rid of pain and as I have been in agony since November the thought of going through a different kind of pain just fills me with horror.

I agree with you, Tisaann. I will never go near a chiropractor or osteopath for the same reason - however, I have been to a cranio sacral therapist - no pain at all. I was very scared when I went for the first appointment because I had been in pain for about 15 months and I wouldn't let the therapist near me until he explained exactly what he was going to do and I made him agree that he wouldn't do anything to cause pain. It helped me a lot when I had severe whiplash.

Hope the memory mattres helps too. I have a memory foam mattress topper which really helps with hip bursitis.

I bought my oh one last year when he was having problems with his knee, it did work for him and he has been fine since. I also got one for my dad as he was having problems with his shoulder, again it did help him. I had a shot of oh's one, I put it on my arm and put it up as high as it could go, stupid thing to do as my arm was jerking about all over the place and I had pins and needles in it for 24 hours :rolleyes: .

Terri

I would also recommend cranio sacral therapy. It's so gentle that it's hard to believe it works, but it is brilliant, especially for neck and shoulder problems.

TENS machines vary a lot in type and efficacy. We have a state-of-the-art one which works on muscles as well. It was bought for patchwork cat and has some palliative effect on his condition - but it has been excellent for my permanently damaged ankle.

Best to research them on the net as much as you can before buying.

Edited by owl

The tens machine did not help me at all with my low back pain (osteo arthritis and sacro illiac joint pain) but my memory foam mattress topper has done wonders! As it is only 2 inches thick I doubted it could make any difference but it has.I can now sleep and my back is far less painful when I wake up. x

I have posted on here about a chiropractor Kathy but it seemed that they cause pain to get rid of pain and as I have been in agony since November the thought of going through a different kind of pain just fills me with horror.

Me and the OH both see the same Chiroprator but for different problems, I have a subluxation of vertibrae L5 which was diagnosed 8yrs ago but left untreated as my Dr at the time said nothing could be done :unsure: after years of lower back pain which gradually had become more and more intense and reoccurent servere headaches which I thought were a separate problem I finally agreed to go see OH's chiropractor :rolleyes: it was the best thing I've done is a long while, it turned out that the subluxation had caused my spine to shift in such a way that every muscle in my upper back was in spasm from behind my ears to between my shoulder blades :wacko: the headaches were being caused by trapped nerves due to this and after an few weeks of having to go see him every few days which caused very little pain I now don't see him again til the end of May having last seen him at the end of Feb and I have not had this freedom of movement in years, its fab, no pain at all no headaches and I do 3hrs at the gym a week and 1.5hrs of aqua aerobics :flowers:

H on the other hand still see's him every 6 weeks or so and still has some pain, not as bad as it used to be but pain non the less, he has a couple of vertibrae in his lower back that "lock" when he moves wrong, this then causes a slight twist then muscle spasm, it is getting better but has taken much longer, I think a lot of it depends on what the problem is and the individual chiro's approach to dealing with it :huh: