UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Working Dog. Working Home.

tegk68

I was at the West Country Game Fair yesterday and noticed an advert run by Battersea Dogs Home on the back of the show catalogue. It said:

Working Dog. Working Home.

If you're looking for a working dog with the potential to train, why not consider rehoming from us? Our centres at Battersea, Old Windsor and Brands Hatch have many suitable breeds that are ideal for working homes including Border Collies, Labradors, Pointers, Springer Spaniels and Weimaraners.

(Have attached the ad below)

As I am becoming increasingly pro this idea. With the usual proper Home Checks; follow up visits; and looking at each home on a case by case basis, I see no reason at all why a dog shouldn't be rehomed to a suitable working home. My preference would be for a pet working home (the dog is primarily a pet but also might enjoy accompanying their owners out in the field or competing in Dog Scurries or Working Tests etc). There are plenty of such homes available. So with this in mind I was really heartened to see such a well known rescue take this public stance. In fact, I thought it was quite brave and open minded of them.

I know that there are so many diverse views on this subject. Such personal views I respect greatly, whether I agree with them or not. I also know that there are some Rescues that would never rehome a dog to those who may work it in the field and I'm not sure I will ever understand that.

Anyway me and my rescue Labrador had a great day out. We entered in all of the dog scurries – water retrieves; blind retrieves; retrieving over fences and did rather well, save for the fact that he howled the place down when we were waiting in the queues to compete (he doesn't do 'waiting' bless him lol) :wub: .

workinghomes.jpg

I rehomed my working springer with the full intention of working him :flowers: Possibly not field trials, but who knows, given where I live it isn't an impossibility. I took him on in particular because he was young and a working type, I wanted a young working bred dog to do working trials with, Breckin fits that criteria perfectly. He is always a pet first though, and if it ended up that I could never do competitions with him then whilst I'd be disappointed it wouldn't matter.

I can understand rescues being wary of working homes but if they were carrying out check before and after rehoming then I think it would probably weed out the places where you wouldn't want to place a dog necessarily. I don't always think that some working dogs necessarily *need* to be pets either though and would be happy to be worked every day and spend their down time in a kennel outside, I know when I've been working mine particularly hard they just want to be left alone for a while. Certainly if I've been tracking hard with Khanu (GSD) he won't want anything to do with anyone or anything for the rest of the day - he would be perfectly content to be curled up on a bed in a kennel and run I think! I expect the same thing to happen with Breckin when his training notches up a gear in the next couple of months. Sometimes I think it would be easier actually if I did have a kennel/run outside to put them in when they are tired, at the moment they sometimes have to get shut in a crate as they can get ratty with the others when very tired, at least in run they could mooch about a bit if they wanted, whilst still being left alone.

I guess from a rescue point of view though you would want to be sure that they wouldn't bounce if they ended up not being able to work, or when they grew old, and that their general well being is at the forefront etc. sometimes this isn't always true of every working home, but then it isn't true of every pet home either.

I know many rescues often post dogs for rehoming on agility sites and the working trials sites I go on, and Battersea has done so for a while I believe. Whilst many dogs will be fine in a pet home (although most would probably benefit from some activities IMO) some dogs just aren't suitable for that type of home, I honestly believe that Khanu and Breckin are two such dogs that would go mental if they didn't have an outlet. Willow and Syd enjoy training and the stuff I do with them both, but could easily cope if I never bothered ever again. Khanu and Breckin become annoying if I leave off for a day and become a right royal pain in the arse if they go a couple of days without at least one session of brain work. Neither of them would be suitable for a home where they would only get a walk or two a day with the odd training class maybe once a week. I think it is great that rescues recognise this and try to find suitable homes for all the dogs that come into their care. It's not just sporting/working homes either, hearing dogs, dogs for the disabled etc all take on suitable rescue dogs too. It can only be a good thing IMO :flowers:

Do you think that the negativity arises because some people use the term working in different ways, for some (me included) it includes all the sports; trials, schutzhund, competitive obedience, agility, field trials etc., etc., to others it only means dogs who do work attached to their owner's job, whether that's picking up for a gamekeeper, scent work or in the police force and so on. There's possibly a link in some minds of working dogs not being kept in the house or being part of the family but that's often not the case.

I think more dogs should go to working homes where they are actively trained, there's a link between people who engage in training (of any sort) and a reduced likelihood of a dog bouncing back into rescue. I didn't realise that some rescues were negative about working homes and don't really understand it, I love spending a day outside training and coming home to get warm and have a cup of tea with happy tired dogs :)

I think a lot of the 'negativity' arises becauses as rescues generally do what they do because they love animals they are not comfortable with any hunting (shooting birds/rabbits etc) and whilst it goes on, they don't want to be seen to be supporting or be associated with it. I can certainly see the dilema it poses. I don't on the other hand see any problem with them rehoming to police, armed forces, guide dogs etc

Do you think that the negativity arises because some people use the term working in different ways, for some (me included) it includes all the sports; trials, schutzhund, competitive obedience, agility, field trials etc., etc., to others it only means dogs who do work attached to their owner's job, whether that's picking up for a gamekeeper, scent work or in the police force and so on. There's possibly a link in some minds of working dogs not being kept in the house or being part of the family but that's often not the case.

Yes, I think possibly you're right. The advert above has a clear leaning towards field sports homes not least because it was on the back of a Game Fair show mag. To some people because of their beliefs this has obvious immediate negative connotations, and I can understand that. However, I do think that some are not capable of looking beyond this. By that I mean the quality of the homes that can be found for such active dogs regardless of our individual views and beliefs. Some people I know will immediately associate 'Field sports/working dogs' with having a home in a kennel and possibly being sold on/given away when they are no good for the job etc. Clearly this does happen, there's 'no smoke without fire' is there. BUT that doesn't mean it is the case with every home that works it's dog/s. Far from it in fact. As Khanu says, with good homechecks and follow up visits you should be able to sort out the good from the bad, just as with any home check for other types of homes, and ensure there is every chance that the dog will go on to have a loving home.

I think a lot of the 'negativity' arises becauses as rescues generally do what they do because they love animals they are not comfortable with any hunting (shooting birds/rabbits etc) and whilst it goes on, they don't want to be seen to be supporting or be associated with it. I can certainly see the dilema it poses.

I can understand that too. I really can. There must be people that work fr Battersea for instance who hold the same view as what you mention above, however they have decided to promote 'working dogs' regardless. I suppose what it comes down to for me is as a 'Rescue' should you be taking a political view on this due to your own personal beliefs, or should these be put to one side to open further doors and opportunites for certain dogs? And if you have decided no 'working homes' for your rescue dogs be that as a pet working home, then do you condemn those rescues that will rehome to such homes or can you appreciate their view point too? (this need not be anything more than a theoretical discussion btw).

Edited by tegk68

I think it's good that Battersea is being open-minded about rehoming these types of dogs and hopefully giving them more of a chance to find the right homes. I remember reading a feature in Dogs Today a few years ago now I think, about one of Battersea's "country" branches and the rehoming of collies/working sheepdogs to working homes. It all sounded very positive for the dogs concerned.

I guess from a rescue point of view though you would want to be sure that they wouldn't bounce if they ended up not being able to work, or when they grew old, and that their general well being is at the forefront etc. sometimes this isn't always true of every working home, but then it isn't true of every pet home either.

I think that's a very good point. I must admit I have been guilty in the past of thinking working homes were not good ones for dogs. But there are plenty of pet homes that will dump a dog when he/she gets ill/old/they want to move/want a new puppy etc. too. As long as the rescue has a thorough rehoming policy, the dog will be well cared for and given a good quality of life and won't be dumped/sold/put back in rescue should they no longer be able to work at some point, then I think it can certainly open up opportunities for good homes - and it's not as though there's an abundance of good homes.

I'm a veggie and can't imagine ever working my dogs in a hunting/shooting environment, but I have opened my mind enough to realise that this environment can offer an excellent pet/working home for the right dogs, with the right families, just as pet-only homes can. I can think of at least one labrador in a pet/working home who has a quality of life many dogs would envy :) (I am sure there are plenty more, I just don't move in those "circles").

I think my one area of reluctance would be rehoming lurchers to working homes where they are used for rabbiting etc. probably because you hear about so many dogs who end up being dumped in rescue (or worse) when they're injured/too old to work etc.

I wonder how many working people would be happy to take on a rescue of unknown working ability though? If a dog was wanted primarily for working, how would a rescue determine the dog's suitability for that prior to adoption - I recall from the working sheepdog article that Battersea did go to great lengths to ensure the dogs were suitable, but I don't know how all rescues would do this for all dogs.

These are just my personal thoughts, not representative of any rescue :wink:

I think a lot of the 'negativity' arises becauses as rescues generally do what they do because they love animals they are not comfortable with any hunting (shooting birds/rabbits etc) and whilst it goes on, they don't want to be seen to be supporting or be associated with it. I can certainly see the dilema it poses. I don't on the other hand see any problem with them rehoming to police, armed forces, guide dogs etc

:unsure: But Police & forces Dogs could end up being shot or blown to pieces as they search out a mine. Assistance Dogs with some charities don't always get looked after when they reach retirement age either :thumbsdown_anim:

Dogs were domesticated and developed to do jobs. (Apart from the fact that there are just too many dogs) is another of the reasons why some dogs end up in rescue because they don't have jobs and don't use their minds and energy? I don't think it's a coincidence that quite a few rescue dogs go on to become successful assistance dogs etc., I think they are generally busy dogs who are too much for an average home - they need to be doing something. Obviously not all dogs need jobs to be happy but perhaps Battersea recognises that some do and is trying to get the most appropriate home for the dogs :)

I have heard from the other perspective, there are working dog owners that disapprove of the homing of working type dogs to non-working homes because they feel they are likely to be overfed, not given enough to do, left alone all day, under-exercised and so on.

I met a guy the other day who was interested in adopting a rescue lurcher. He said that he'd be inclined to take home any rabbits it caught and make stew. I am pretty sure that if he says that to a rescue it will not make the right impression, but I'm not entirely sure that it's so utterly dreadful either, if the dog is mostly a pet. I have met several landowners who are delighted to see my dogs because they think they will keep the rabbit population down (little do they know how totally crap my dogs are at catching rabbits... :laughingsmiley: ) and though I like rabbits, I can see that if you are overrun with them it must get frustrating.

On the other hand, neither of my dogs previous 'working' owners* seem to have been much cop as owners: they have very definitely done better for themselves as pets.

Sounds like Battersea are concentrating on the herders, retrievers and gundogs, which does seem like a rather safer bet.

*edit: sorry, should clarify here that I am referring to whoever originally bred Az, beat and dumped him aged about 4, (perhaps for reasons related to being crap at rabbits?) not the people who adopted him after that and did their best by him, before deciding he really needed a home with someone who was around during the day.

Edited by cycas

Sounds like Battersea are concentrating on the herders, retrievers and gundogs, which does seem like a rather safer bet.

Looking at their ad Cycas, I agree, I think it's a fair assumption that they are only talking about 'the herders, retrievers and gundogs'.

I wonder how many working people would be happy to take on a rescue of unknown working ability though? If a dog was wanted primarily for working, how would a rescue determine the dog's suitability for that prior to adoption

I think there are pretty much two sorts or rather levels of people looking out for potential working dogs - by 'working dogs' I am going to stick within the context of the advert and say here I mean retriever types (can't speak for BC's as I know nothing about them):

1. those that work thier dogs in the field and are paid to do so and also run them in the very high level Working Tests and Field Trials

2. those that want a companion in the field during the shooting season for example but primarilly the dog would be 'jack of all trades' i.e. enjoy a bit of retrieving work, love watching soaps on the TV at night, and like most other peoples requirements when looking for a new dog addition to the family; be good with any existing children, animals etc etc. So basically a pet.

So the latter, which there are many, are not necessarilly looking for a superb performer or looking for a dog that can compete at the high levels of field competitions etc. Those few that are will not be looking to a rescue for a new dog. Firstly because to compete in field trials etc the dog has to be KC registered, and secondly they will want to know the dogs breeding to ascertain it's future potential etc etc.

Those looking for a family pet/working dog will want to know all the usual things to do with the dog; it's character/health/suitability with children etc etc. With regards to the dogs suitability in the field then at a guess this is quite easy to ascertain I should imagine. 1. if it's a lab or spaniel or pointer it will most likely, but not always, have some 'drive' and instinct already there 2. does it enjoy retrieving? 3. is it scared of loud noises? 4. is it a high energy dog? would it enjoy/benefit having a job to do? 5. does it have a chase instinct? - obviously preferably not. Those qualities alone means it would have enough potential to make a very happy and accomplished companion in the field to a fair level with some training.

This is just my take on it of course. I'd love to know how Battersea do it though. I see they have a dedicated person/tel. no. for 'Working Homes', so am guessing they take it all seriously.

Edited by tegk68

Neither dogs nor people are one dimensional, much as we want to believe they are. Someone who hunts is as capable of being a loving and caring dog owner as a dog who hunts is capable of being a loving and devoted family pet. To dismiss a working home for a dog out of hand is not in the dogs best interests, especially as many dogs actively enjoy hunting, even the ones that live with small furries at home.

It is a rescues prerogative to rehome as they see fit though, if they hate all hunters then its going to make homechecking and follow up visits difficult for both parties. The question is whether they dislike hunting more than they like dogs.

Someone said to me recently that as they saw it there are good owners and bad owners, whether they hunt, show, breed, race or are a pet home and that hits the nail on the head for me. Each home should be judged on it's own merits.

Neither dogs nor people are one dimensional, much as we want to believe they are. Someone who hunts is as capable of being a loving and caring dog owner as a dog who hunts is capable of being a loving and devoted family pet. To dismiss a working home for a dog out of hand is not in the dogs best interests, especially as many dogs actively enjoy hunting, even the ones that live with small furries at home.

It is a rescues prerogative to rehome as they see fit though, if they hate all hunters then its going to make homechecking and follow up visits difficult for both parties. The question is whether they dislike hunting more than they like dogs.

Someone said to me recently that as they saw it there are good owners and bad owners, whether they hunt, show, breed, race or are a pet home and that hits the nail on the head for me. Each home should be judged on it's own merits.

Pretty much how I feel about it all too :flowers: