UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Small Jumping Dog ......

Natalie34

Hi there

Some advice please?

Scooby, the gorgeous JRT x has become more excitable as he has settled here in his foster home - very well may I add.

He is a gorgeous boy, but now when he is excited, for his breakfast and after being for a walk because he gets a treat, he has now started jumping up at me ...... up and down like he's on a trampoline. He will also do it when out on walks, if I stop to talk to someone, its like an attention thing.

Anyhow, I am pushing him down with a firm 'no' and also turning my back on him but it just isn't sinking in. I haven't got a clicker but was thinking about buying one to help.

Also when he does this for his breakfast and his after walk treat ...... I don't give him either until I have made him sit.

Not sure what else to do?

How about popping a house line on him, then you can simply put a foot on it (close to him, but not pulling him to the floor) so he physically is restrained from jumping up. Then you can reward him for NOT jumping up..........

HTH

If you mean jumping up and down on the spot, but not onto the person, I had the same thing with me youngest dog. Turning your back didn't make any difference as he was just jumping up and down with excitement. He just carried on until the excitement was released.

I found the only thing that worked for him was to put my hands on his shoulders and gently , but firmly, push him down onto all four feet. I then kept enough pressure on him shoulders to hold him there. I released the pressure gradually and increased it if he started to jump up again. I didn't say anything to him while doing this.

Once he stopped I praised him gently.

I found this worked quite quickly with him.

Thanks for that.

He either jumps up and down in the air, or sometimes up at me.

Scooby is now going to be fostered by Michelle until his forever home is confirmed and I have let Michelle know this bad habit of his. Michelle has a lot of experience so am sure she will be able to nip this behaviour in the bud quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyhow, I am pushing him down with a firm 'no' and also turning my back on him but it just isn't sinking in.

By pushing him down, you may inadvertently giving him what he wants, ie your attention/hand. As soon as he does it, try simply turning your back and walking away/completely ignoring him. Don't give him any attention whatsoever until he has been calm for at least a couple of minutes, then praise/reward for the positive behaviour :flowers:

It may take a while but stick it out - once he realises (which should be fairly quickly) that this sort of behaviour does not get any reward, he should stop doing it. Be consistent though, otherwise it won't work :flowers:

Edited by madmerle