UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Barney

chickentikka

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. As you know, I was more or less in this situation a few weeks ago with Hugo, then he made it, if not easy, then certainly easier, by having a sudden stroke. My vet told me he might recover from it, he could do tests etc but I decided to let Hugo go that day.

I knew he would hate the tests and was very frightened whenever he had to go to the vets, I also knew he had very little time left with any real quality of life and I thought it best for Hugo to let him go peacefully at home rather than plough on and risk him having to be rushed to the vets or being in pain, or worst still, just existing and not really living.

I know that you will agonise about when, is it too soon, was it too late, please don't agonise, just think about how much love and life you have given him.

Really really thinking of you :GroupHug:

Thanks Sue, I met you and the lovely Hugo at Discover Dogs (I was the loon on the Deed Not Breed stand with the painted face). Barney is absolutely fine in his head (OK a bit less sharp than he was a few years ago), it's the body that is failing, but he can still manage a little toddle down the road to the park and have a woof at any passing dogs. I want him to have the X rays because I'm the type of person who needs to know what is going on, however grim. Barney loves going to the vets, is quite happy to be left there and is so relaxed they think they can X ray him without an anasthetic.

The choices we make for our dogs are based on love and knowing that dog, I promise that I won't keep Barney going just for me :wub:

Edited by chickentikka

Thanks Sue, I met you and the lovely Hugo at Discover Dogs (I was the loon on the Deed Not Breed stand with the painted face). Barney is absolutely fine in his head (OK a bit less sharp than he was a few years ago), it's the body that is failing, but he can still manage a little toddle down the road to the park and have a woof at any passing dogs. I want him to have the X rays because I'm the type of person who needs to know what is going on, however grim. Barney loves going to the vets, is quite happy to be left there and is so relaxed they think they can X ray him without an anasthetic.

The choices we make for our dogs are based on love and knowing that dog, I promise that I won't keep Barney going just for me :wub:

So sorry, I think I worded my reply very badly :mecry: I was trying to prepare you for the inevitable beating up of yourself you will go through afterwards, whatever you do, as one who has been there. I am sure without doubt you will do whatever is best for Barney.