UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone In Ayrshire?

ClazUK

On a non-doggie forum I frequent a lady has found a VERY frail elderly dog in her back garden. The Dog Warden can't get to her today, so she's taken it in until tomorrow. She's worried what will become of it - anyone with local knowledge?

ModlyHostly Types - please move this if you think it should be somewhere else :flowers:

Just found this on the council site Claz :(

DOGS IN OUR CARE

Any dogs impounded are kept for a minimum of 7 days, during which period they may be reclaimed by the owner on payment of a fine (currently £20) plus any kennelling fees accrued.

If the animal remains unclaimed after that period, then attempts will be made to rehome it. Regrettably, any dogs which are unclaimed and not successfully rehomed may ultimately require to be humanely destroyed.

And the kennels they use are here:

Any stray dogs uplifted in the East Ayrshire Council area are currently lodged at Southfield Kennels in Mauchline Tel : 01290 552532

Just found this on the council site Claz :(

And the kennels they use are here:

Poop. An elderly frail dog doesn't stand too much of a chance, does it? I might see if she will claim it back after the 7 days and see if we can get it moved to safety. Gawd knows how, though, the finder doesn't drive and it looks pretty remote where she is (outlying village).

Having had a situation like this last week, I would say is there any way the lady could hold it for 24 hours?

I went to great lengths with the elderly cocker I found and informed all of the vets etc.

However, the elderly owners didn't contact the vets until the afternoon (and she'd been Bernied to Wiccs by then, which meant a trip back up :blush02:)

I had been advised not to inform the dog warden, but had informed the Police. The owners rang the dog warden first (the Police did not pass the information on the the dog warden) but drew a blank and so checked everywhere else first, leaving the vets until last :wacko:

Obviously Suzie the Cocker had a fab day out meeting and greeting people and getting stuffed full of food at every opportunity, she had her ears cleaned out and free antibiotic drops (which I think the owners would have struggled to pay for), Wiccs had loads of cakey goodness etc but I'm sure her owners would probably preferred her home a bit quicker :)

Edited by supafrisk

Thanks guys. Been out with my lot for walkies but getting home to a text and a few messages/PMs, things are a bit clearer.

The lady who has found her can't keep her - she's a single mum with two pre-school kids and very little cash. However she IS prepared to ask the DW if she can rehome her once the 7 days are up. The DW have advised the dog is likely to be PTS as they have very little success rehoming oldies.

If this dog isn't claimed by next Tuesday then I think it's safe to say she's at risk. So I'm going to ring round to see if anyone local will take her and, if not, see if we can get her south to safety.

Thank you for a couple of really helpful messages and PMs.

This is what the little muppet looks like. "About terrier sized but doesn't look like a terrier to me" says her finder! I've asked for another pic, but what do you think she is?!

ayrshireoldie.jpg