UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Canine Aggression And Communication

Dog Rescue Lover

Aggression:

"Fight : A practical guide ot the treatment of dog-dog aggression" by Jean Donaldson

"Understanding & Handling Dog Aggression" by Barbara Sykes :flowers:

Communication:

"What is my dog thinking?" by Gwen Bailey

"Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas (there is also a dvd)

James O'Heare Aggression workbook and Brenda Aloff does one too, name escapes me, look on american site called Dogwise for more ideas.

I read up as I had a dog with aggression issues and the James O'Heare book was a great manual for me but my inspiration came from a book Bringing light to shadow, which is more of a diary of someone dealing with an aggressive dog.

Personally Jean Donaldson's fight was not for me and neither was the Barbara Sykes. But the Turid Rugass was interesting and I do use bits from that even now.

Also not sure about recommending another site but, Taking the lead forum, is really useful and lots of people post about books there

James O'Heare Aggression workbook and Brenda Aloff does one too, name escapes me, look on american site called Dogwise for more ideas.

I read up as I had a dog with aggression issues and the James O'Heare book was a great manual for me but my inspiration came from a book Bringing light to shadow, which is more of a diary of someone dealing with an aggressive dog.

Personally Jean Donaldson's fight was not for me and neither was the Barbara Sykes. But the Turid Rugass was interesting and I do use bits from that even now.

Also not sure about recommending another site but, Taking the lead forum, is really useful and lots of people post about books there

I agree with the above post, James O' Heare's book is wonderful, he's the behaviourist other behaviourists quote :)

I also read Fight by J Donaldson and didn't like it much, not that there was any bad advice in it but as the poster above said, it just wasn't for me, although if you are looking for purely academic reading I would still recommend it, I thought her book Culture Clash was very good and is essential reading to any budding behaviourist.

I'm afraid I really disliked Barbara Sykes book, I know some people love her, but thats not to say you shouldn't read her and make up your own mind :flowers:

I'd also suggest any Roger Abrantes books and Burch and Baileys How Dogs Learn, oh, and anything by Ray Coppinger

Understanding and handling dog aggression - barbara syskes is good. I am just reading Bringing shadow to light, fantastic so far.

I also have a couple of James Oheare books of my wish list on Amazon for when I have finished reading the current ones . :rolleyes: Culture clash is a must read for anyone interest in behaviour of any sort. The other end of the leash is a good book too but I can't remember the authors name? :unsure:

Thanks everyone :flowers: . Lots of books to search and buy then!

My friend, who is also my agility/obedience instructor, has a lot of books on canine aggression she said I can borrow, so will see if she has any of the ones listed above.

I'm really looking forward to it as its interested me for ages but I've never got off my fat backside to do anything about it. Now I feel really motivated and can't wait to start!! :biggrin: