UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Suing Another Dog Owner For Damages

sundaygirl

A few years ago I was on the green with Grip and Raffles and two other dogs owners were on there.

One a great Dane and the other a full grown, large male Lab - they were playing with Grip. Grip went off for a wee and suddenly the Great Dane and Lab came tearing down the field at great speed - bached into me.

I was knocked off my feet and the pain was horrible - the air became blue.

Grip then decided to protect Mum and sat on my legs. The GT and Lab thought they would join her.

The owners helped me up and and wanted to take me to hospital :unsure: I said no I wanted to go home and told her I was fine (she was so upset as was the Lab's owner.

I got home and burst into tears my legs hurt so much.

Anyway two days later my left leg became icy cold from the knee down, the bruising had stayed inside, had swollen and flatten a vein in my leg (my fault for not putting Witch Hazel on it immediately)

Both owners were phoning and coming round asking if there was anything they could do - no it was an accident pure and simple.

Had I been at work at the time (I had a very good, well paid job) my employees would have paid my salary when I was off work through their own insurance - most large companies have that cover.

I would have no need to sue but even if my company would not have paid me - it was an accident.

As Sarah said slip down a kerb, break an ankle/leg - who do you sue then?

Accidents happens and if you are in an area where dogs, including your own are running freely then surely it's a risk you take and just be aware of where you are and where the dogs are running.

That's called being responsible for your yourself.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thank doG for common sense!

In his ruling Lord Malcolm said the courts should take heed of a warning by Law Lord, Lord Steyn, that: "The court must not contribute to the creation of a society bent on litigation which is premised on the illusion that for every misfortune there is a remedy."