UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pediatric Spaying/neutering

EGAR

What I can't understand is why anyone would want a permenantly immature dog :wacko: what a pain in the butt that would be, don't get me wrong, I love having puppies and love the nonsense that they get up to but I don't know if i'd want it for the rest of the dogs life.

Some might argue that the risk of a permanent puppy was far outweighed by the risk of a dead dog.

Just entering into the wierd and wonderful land of the showring with our Borzoi girlie. We have been warned that nuetering before her coat is fully 'in' will result in a thin and below standard coat. But also, being a giant breed, she isnt expected to stop growing until about 18 months old.

Our latest little foster, aka fluffball, is only 5 months old, but is humping everything relentlessly and is booked to be nuetered next week.

Some might argue that the risk of a permanent puppy was far outweighed by the risk of a dead dog.

Well...............yeah, I suppose there is that argument, but I just can't get my head round why anyone would find a permanent puppy appealing, but thats just my own prefrence,I know freaks people do get shot of dogs once they are out of the puppy stage but I always assumed that was because of the way they looked rather than behaviour

And on the other hand I have a 4 and a half year old bullmastiff who is still in the puppy phase who was not paediatrically (sp?) or even early neutered - she was left til after her first season (not out of choice, she had a silent one, the devious cow *lol*). Predicting what a dog *might* be like is a tricky business, and I'm not really convinced by the "neuter early and your dog will be a hooligan for life" argument. It's an easy decision for me with bitches and I would do it as early as necessary to get in there in advance of the first season. With dogs though, like I said, unsure, as the benefits aren't as clear. :flowers:

And on the other hand I have a 4 and a half year old bullmastiff who is still in the puppy phase who was not paediatrically (sp?) or even early neutered - she was left til after her first season (not out of choice, she had a silent one, the devious cow *lol*). Predicting what a dog *might* be like is a tricky business, and I'm not really convinced by the "neuter early and your dog will be a hooligan for life" argument. It's an easy decision for me with bitches and I would do it as early as necessary to get in there in advance of the first season. With dogs though, like I said, unsure, as the benefits aren't as clear. :flowers:

I think it just highlights that each dog is an individual, some will be ok with early neutering, some not, and the same with owners, my friend had Spuds brother Ted done at 6mnths and compared to Spud he is very dependant and not so confident as Spud, admitedly they have had slightly diffrent upbringings and were diffrent characters in the first place but Carrie herself feels that neutering him did make him a bit of a woose, I've had two boys now, both done at 3 yrs and have been pleased with the results, I had Daisy done at 9mnths and wished I'd waited longer, but there were medical reasons, unfortunatly having her done at 9mnths was right on her hormone teenage rush and has left her with some "issues".

I think rescues do take the neutering/spaying issues very seriously but you know seeing that we home check/vet check very carefully surely some dogs would be better left a little longer? Which dog is more likely to get pregnant, the £25 one out of the free ads that has been sold to the first person that knocks on the door or the carefully vetted home of the rescue dog?

I was going purely on the risk of mammary cancer when it comes to my support of neutering bitches before the first season. I don't see of a way around it, but do acknowledge the other arguments as it's something I struggle with but can't change. I don't think I'd neuter a boy as early. I suppose that's the answer for me, not to have another bitch.

I took Jack (Mum's whippet pup) to the vet's today for his second lot of jabs and was discussing this with the vet.

He said in Jack's case, he would rather neuter him at 6 months plus than before that, as if neutered earlier, the longbones sometimes grow longer than they normally would, resulting in a taller, giraffe-like dog.

I've never heard of that one before... has anyone else? :unsure:

so I think we have covered the answer in these post

As rescues we have the responsibility to neuter/spay all the animals that come through the doors regardless

As owners we can find every argument for and against the correct neuter/spay age on the internet

x

:laugh: I think that pretty well sums it up.........................another dilemma solved :biggrin: