UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kennel Club Hails Changes To Dangerous Dogs Legislation In Scotland ‘a Step In The Right Direction’

Had a reply from Alex Neil MSP today, he welcomes comments and suggestions from peeps outside of scotland, ie, you don't have to be resident in scotland to put forward your ideas.

Amanda

Edited by Amanda2007

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~Have also emailed the KC to ask what explanation they give to now not being the right "political Climate" to remove the bsl aspect of a law thats stated as hard to enforce, costly when it is enforced yet either way is claimed not to protect the public.

Im sure it will be an interesting reason...should they actually reply... :wacko:

had a few mins spare so emailed a whole bunch of other groups too. :rolleyes:

Edited by Allie No Dots

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/316/co...m-proposing-it/

I will be replying but not until monday probably :biggrin: Should anyone else want to take the oppourtunity to question Mr Neil on his proposal as he says himself "feel free to contact him" Ok he does say "directly" but im sure he wont mind if you post your questions up there. After all, he has :biggrin: :laugh:

One thing i will add:

I emailed a few organisations today who are stated as backing the proposal. Plus other groups who i am interested in hearing their comments. One Organisation said something quite amazing. I cannot repeat it due to a disclaimer on the email however I urge you to ask questions of anyone who may back the proposal and see if the answers satisfy you. They didnt at all for me.

Edited by Allie No Dots

I'm just wondering as well if using criminal rather than civil law wouldn't just open the flood gates for any tiny nip or scratch from a dog, I'm sure the police and courts would love that................not.

Also what would happen if someone entered your garden when you were out and attempted to steal your dogs from your secure garden and they quite rightly got bitten ?

My own gardens walls are secure but we have a stream that runs through it, we have, on occassion had a visit from next doors collie, Daisy is strange dog aggressive, I find it very unfair if I could be prosecuted and her be pts because of someone elses failure to control their dog from entering my property, I could go on and on with diffrent senarios on this one, another one is at my friends there is a free roaming Lab who can jump her gate (her own dogs can't) would she and her dogs be subject to this change in the law if the Lab got bitten ? again your being blamed for someone elses failure.

Gosh, I might be getting the hang of this :unsure:

Told you not to underestimate yourself :)

No one, no matter how many letters after their name or how high up the ladder of any group or job, will see more problems and answers than a dog owner. No one will be able to write the law to protect better than dog owners and parents.

I have no idea how it will work on the stream question. The lab question, from how the proposal reads, may mean your friend could be in trouble as iirc(without looking at it again) mention of a high fence, presumably six foot, is a defence. If it aint six foot you may have a problem.

Please do put any thoughts you have on the above link. You dont have to list them all at once, just as you think of them. Im sure Mr Neil will reply when he gets a chance :) I admit to caving and have posted a reply already :rolleyes: Ive got alot more to say but would hate to be distracted from the main points first :)

Right I've sort of done my letter, I was going to go through all the points you'd made Allie but decided against it as he knows all of those now and it would be a bit obvious, so I've concentrated on it being unfair that owners and their dogs could be punished for the failure of other owners to keep their dogs under control....but....because I put your mail in drafts so I could copy address all your points I now can't get your addy to send you my letter to check or make suggestions about...........so could you send me another mail please, sorry, I did hint that I was a bit of a div :(

I've just had another thought, would this criminalising thing not have an impact on rescues ?

My friend works at a rescue who do an excellent job in rehabilitating aggressive dogs, but accidents do happen and on occassion other dogs and staff have been bitten (not badly) would this new proposal have an effect on which dogs they could take in and treat ?