UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kennel Club Hails Changes To Dangerous Dogs Legislation In Scotland ‘a Step In The Right Direction’

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

re; the proposed Control of Dogs (Scotland) Bill

A summary of the responses received by Alex Neil MSP in response to the consulatation is now up on the Scottish Parliament web site.

80 responses received, including 45 from individuals and 10 from animal charities/pressure groups

the summary is on pdf here

(scroll down the bills page) you may spot some bits of what you had to say mentioned in there :)

Amanda

I saw a couple that I had put in my e mail :biggrin:

I'd like to get my hands round the neck of whoever suggested leashing and muzzling of all dogs in public :axehead:

I really don't get why this guy is even bothering with this, it even states that DEFRA looked into the whole private property thing and decided against it, I think he's just trying to make a name for himself :glare:

Do DEFRA have any infuence on the Scottish Executive?

As he is only proposing this for Scotland I worry how much support he will get at Holyrood.

Some of his proposals seem a bit extreme to me.

( are there many dog lovers on the Scottish Executive?)

What seriously bothers me is the bit about attacks being an offense wherever they occur. There doesn't seem to be any sub-categorising of this. Does this mean that if someone breaks into your house and gets bitten, your dog is in danger of losing its life? Don't agree with such a wide sweeping statement at all :(

What seriously bothers me is the bit about attacks being an offense wherever they occur. There doesn't seem to be any sub-categorising of this. Does this mean that if someone breaks into your house and gets bitten, your dog is in danger of losing its life? Don't agree with such a wide sweeping statement at all :(

I think the proposed bill does have a ,thing , that would exclude dogs who were protecting property from people who had no permission to be on the property and dogs protecting themselves or their owners, or an aggravated attack, unless I've read it wrong :unsure:

I'd hope that the Parliament would take into account DEFRA's findings, although it doesn't help that the KC have stuck their oar in :angry:

When are the KC going to stop being seen as a group with dogs' interests at heart, because they haven't, it's just an elitist dog club that doesn't represent the average dog owner, as their membership is comprised mostly of ladies who lunch.

Widening the law to include dog bites wherever they occur will not protect children, it will just cost more dogs their lives. The police must have powers to prosecute the owners of dogs that kill children on private property, because otherwise why did they decide to bring no charges after the case in Leicester with the two rotties? There must have been an option in law to do so.

When are the KC going to stop being seen as a group with dogs' interests at heart, because they haven't, it's just an elitist dog club that doesn't represent the average dog owner, as their membership is comprised mostly of ladies who lunch.

Amen to that

Alex Neil was on Radio Scotland yesterday morning waffling on about his bill, it was a phone in and I'm afraid I bottled it and didn't phone :(

Most people were in favour of DNB, one lady thought that you just shouldn't have small kids and dogs, one git who was a dog trainer thought nobody should own any guarding breed, and one person thought there should be an age restriction on dog ownership, but as usual how the hell you'd enforce it I don't know, one lady thought that all children were evil and shouldn't be allowed near dogs :biggrin: , someone texted in that they hated dogs, Fred Macauly came on afterwards and said " just to even things up, I like dogs " :biggrin:

Alex Neil said he hoped the bill would be in place before Christmas :angry:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...