UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Aggression ?

cocoa

sorry but i need to ask this

no matter what sport you are doing with your dogs ( OB agility or flyabll or htm )

no matter how hyperactive you have made the dog/s

would a dog bitting at this point be ok ?

and again in all fields

what would you count a recall as ?

Not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but if dog is getting so hyped by whatever activity that it is biting, I would stop the activity until dog calmed down. It is not acceptable for dog to be allowed to bite in any situation, unless being attacked of course. :flowers:

I cannot do any 'sports' with Neo as he gets really hyper and loses all self control :unsure: He is improving but its a very slow process :rolleyes:

Not sure what the last line about recall meant :unsure:

my dog was bite at the weekend

i was not happy at all, buy i have been told but the club that this is ok bacuse the dog was pumped

the dog when on to bit again the same day and i have seen him bit before

i think no matter what you are going if your dog is that pump it is bitting then you should stop

the dog is not safe

but i am finding it hard to think why a club would back this ?

i was not happy at all, buy i

that should be but

I agree with you. If dog is so hyped its not good. Imagine if it was one of your children. You wouldn't think it healthy for them to be so hyped that they lost control. :unsure: Not sure why your club would think it acceptable. Understandable maybe but not acceptable. :flowers:

I would work on calming things down a bit when he gets too hyped with a few minutes time out and maybe some sniffing exercises or TTouch if you know how to do any. :flowers:

sorry it was my dog that got bite

and i am the one that will have to go from the club as the club is saying that the other dog was pump

so this was ok,

i don't think the person that owns this dog is taking on how bad this could get or what would happen if it was a kid !

i just don't under stand way anyone would think it ok

the dog went on to bite again in the same day

and i have seen the dog bite before i don't think it will ever be put right as i don't think the owner or club is taking on how bad this is

If the other dog gets so high on adrenalin that he/she cannot control themselves, then their owner/handler should be in control for them! They should not be put in situations where they were able to bite other dogs. It may be understandable yes, but not acceptable, it can be very frightening for the other dogs, hope yours is okay?

Your club should tell this person to be in better control of the situation, ie not let their dog close enough to others to be caught in the atmosphere of things.

Long time no see by the way :flowers:

Does this club have a committee?

If so, write a letter of complaint to the chairperson or secretary, or both( whichever you think will be more effective) The letter will have to be discussed at a committee meeting and a reply given.

You may find that not all members of the committee feel it is okay.

If it is a private club then there is not a lot you can do, except leave.

Would that be acceptable in the sport you compete in? If No, then for the other owners' sake I would have a word with them and the instructors. What if someone complained whilst at a competition? They really need a friendly person to talk to them about it.

Could you ask them to keep away from your dogs whilst you train?

It is sad that no-one else seems to be taking it seriously. How can the other dog do its best if he/she is so pent up? Surely they would realise that for their own sake, they need to take some kind of action.

If you get a lot out of the club then definitely stand up about it.

Good Luck :flowers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This topic may have died but its one dear to my heart!

No, I don't think it is ever acceptable, but its understandable when handlers over-hype dogs believing they have to be hyped up to a) succeed and b) enjoy themselves or c) think they will be stopping the dog from enjoying agility if they try and stop the dog getting over-aroused.

In reallity its a skill like any other...ie the dog needs to learn to be motivated, fast, focused and enjoy agility *without* losing the plot. Dogs that are constantly over-active, bark hysterically, bite, crash thorugh jumps and generally behave like headless chickens aren't 'enjoying' themselves imo...they're seriously over-excited and probably very stressed! Usually because they don't truly understand what is being asked of them, have poor impulse control (needs to be taught away form the agility class using toys, the 'real world' etc), poor obedience without lots of physical coercion and the handler lacks the skill to teach 'boundaries'. What usually makes the stress (and that hyperactivity and biting) worse is the handlers get stressed and angry and start trying to correct the dog...but usually inconsistently becasue they don't really want to do it, or get so caught up in the training they see it as a 'side issue' and don't want to have to deal with it.

If the classes view it is as acceptable and OK to a) let such dogs reach that over-stressed state and b) let it be physically possible for the dog to bite other dogs (and it is COMPLETELY the handler's responsibility and down to their lack of training and control, not the dog's fault) I'd change classes. A pity...but its not worth the risk imo.

• 3 weeks later...

I was quite shocked reading this. Of course it isn't acceptable behaviour and your dog shouldn't suffer for it, I don't think the dog that is biting should be chucked out of the club but if the owner can't keep it under control then maybe it should have private sessions until they have learnt to work together and have better control.

There has been a couple of times when dogs have become aggressive at my club but its been a one off and that can be forgiven, but if it is continuous then it needs to be addressed.

If Jack has had a break from training due to weather and holidays etc he gets a bit hyper his first day back but he will settle after he has done a few jumps etc, and he never shows aggression towards the other dogs (he just leaps about like a nutter).

personally i would remind the club about the DDA and DA1871.

if the dog bites a person then its screwed and it WOULD make the press. Dog being "pumpd" would make no defense

DA 1871 would apply if no people were involved.

If the club wouldnt listen I would put the word arround other local clubs until no one was prepared to do run offs etc against them.