UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bert Is Going To Eat A Friend Tonight

tegk68

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot more peeps would be vegetarians if they had to kill their own animals or if they would know them *personally*.

I'm sure a lot more people would be vegetarian under those circumstances. Personally I'm inclined to think if you can't kill it then you shouldn't eat it.

OT again sorry. Does cockerel taste any different to hens?

Not really no. A cockerel though is inclined to be longer in the body than a head and to have less breast meat. If male birds are being raised for meat they are usually castrated which makes them put on more weight ( therefore more meat ), if they are castrated they are called capons. Taste, quality and quantity of meat ( in uncastrated birds ) is determined by breed rather than by sex.

If male birds are being raised for meat they are usually castrated which makes them put on more weight ( therefore more meat ), if they are castrated they are called capons.

Sorry that was supposed to read sometimes castrated not usually castrated.

I'm sure a lot more people would be vegetarian under those circumstances. Personally I'm inclined to think if you can't kill it then you shouldn't eat it.

That's what I say to my OH :laugh: When I told him about this thread he said he couldn't eat anything that had had a name :unsure:

It was all the childhood holidays in Ireland, where there was no TV, and an evenings 'entertainment' would be some local ladies gathering in a barn to kill and feather chickens (not necessarily on the same night) that put me right off meat of any kind.

That's what I say to my OH :laugh: When I told him about this thread he said he couldn't eat anything that had had a name :unsure:

I agree with that comment. Ihave lived on a farm and hubby was a farmer when I met him so we ate a lot of our stock but i couldn't have eaten anything that was a pet/had a name. If it was for eaing I didn't make it personal,too squeamish I am afraid. x

Not really no. A cockerel though is inclined to be longer in the body than a head and to have less breast meat. If male birds are being raised for meat they are usually castrated which makes them put on more weight ( therefore more meat ), if they are castrated they are called capons. Taste, quality and quantity of meat ( in uncastrated birds ) is determined by breed rather than by sex.

Our cockerels had a lot of leg meat - we actually got three meals out of one, roast, stir fry and a curry but not much breast meat. Our butcher actually recommends cockerel for Christmas dinner - the ones he sells are free range and have as much meat on them as a small turkey but are more succulent.

Caz

P.S. My small cousins named the two ducklings we raised this year - they are not going to be eaten. Only one of the chickens has a name - she got attacked and I had to nurse her back to health - she is laying well and young so I don't have to worry about it yet

• 2 weeks later...