UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Kidnappings On The Rise

Mr Hanky

Just be careful when you tie your dogs up when nipping into the shop.

I'd be gutted if someone did this to Madison

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2210539,00.html

Don't tie your dogs up outside any shop ever would be my advice. I don't leave mine unattended in the car either. I know someone who had their car broken into to steal the dog. If I have them with me when I have to fill up with petrol, I constantly keep my eye on the car while paying.

Edited by Nettie

Personally I'd rather leave my dogs alone for 10 minutes in a car with decent security, than for hours alone in a house while I was driving about somewhere else. Dogs in cars may be more visible to thieves, but they are also a lot easier to keep an eye on. If I was going to break into one or the other to nick a dog, I'd definitely pick the house. Far easier and much less chance of being spotted.

If you travel any distance on your own, you have to leave them in the car for short periods sometimes. Apart from anything else, you just can't get 2 large dogs into most toilet cubicles! I just make sure my car has good security, and am careful about how I leave the windows.

Although I know the 'don't leave dogs alone in cars' advice is widely given, it just doesn't seem practical to me as a blanket ruling. Surely it depends on whether you have the option of leaving the dogs somewhere else where they are supervised, and how long they will be left?

I agree on the don't leave dogs tied outside shops thing.

Don't tie your dogs up outside any shop ever would be my advice. I don't leave mine unattended in the car either. I know someone who had their car broken into to steal the dog. If I have them with me when I have to fill up with petrol, I constantly keep my eye on the car while paying.

I dont take mine to the shop anymore, if i need anything I go home first, then walk back to the shop

Afraid that there is no decent security that can protect your dogs in a car. If they're there, they're at risk. Rarely are they taken in burglaries.

If you can't supervise your dog whereever you are, 100% of the time, don't take it. It's safer at home.

I don't want to have to help fugees find stolen dogs.

Unfortunately this will pose problems for the likes of us who do not have OH's and/or an extensive network of dog carers. I take my dogs with me as much as possible, but will leave them in the car when I nip into the supermarket on the way back from a walk, or leave them in the car when I have to make a 'toilet stop' whilst at services on the motorway.

I'm trying not to take unnecessary risks with them, but sometimes taking some risks are unavoidable if you don't want to spend your life cooped up in the house with your dogs.

I'm sure it does help that my 2 are both mongrels without so much of a trace of anything pedigree. I do agree that tying them up outside a shop might be a bit more of a risk than you'd want to take.

As for the police's comments however, about the owners paying the ransom encouring more dog nappings: I think that the police's (perceived) unwillingness to give as much importance to a 'napped' dog as they would to a 'napped' kid is an at least as big a contributing factor. Most dognappers will by now have wisened up to the fact that a stolen dog is regarded as "stolen property" and isn't exactly at the top of any police force's list of priorities :(

I'm trying not to take unnecessary risks with them, but sometimes taking some risks are unavoidable if you don't want to spend your life cooped up in the house with your dogs.

Yes, same here. I do have an OH, but he travels a lot. Petsitters are fine if you can plan ahead, but not so good if you need to be more mobile.

Re car security: the only way my dogs can physically fit to get out of my car is through the boot. You can't open the boot from inside the car without the keys if the alarm is armed, even if you break a window and manually unlock a side door. You can't fold the seats down to get them out that way if they are in the boot with the door closed either, because of the way the boot liner attaches.

So, the only options I can see for removing my dogs are a) break the boot lock (which has a security plate to stop it being broken by force or drillling, and has passed the '2 minute test' - apparently most car thieves give up if they can't get in within 2 minutes) or b) break the rear window and lift the dogs out through it. c) Possibly you could also move the rear seats from inside the car eventually, but I've tried and I couldn't manage it.

Now of course that's not foolproof - you could do a) or c) if you had enough time and motivation and were undisturbed, and b) if you were very tall and strong (because you'd have to lean in at a weird angle to reach the dogs, then exert considerable force to lift/pull them through the window) - but neither is an easy task for an opportunist thief. Best I can do.

Now what worries me is that someone will hit my car in the rear and my dogs will get stuck in there...

My dogs travel with me a lot in the car and will occasionally be left whilst I nip to the loo or quick visit to the shops.

I accept that this is a posible risk but do minimise it as best I can, my back windows only open about 2 inches and my dogs are further restrained in a cage, which is locked if I am away for any length of time. (ie at dog shows)

Leaving dogs in the house is not risk free either, if your dog is targeted they could be taken from a house as well as a car. If it is an opportunist thief then making the car difficult to get into in the same way as you lock up your house is the best you can do.

when my friends house was broken into the thieves broke in through a back window but left through the back door. They left the door and the back gate open and all 3 of her dogs were luckily picked up by the dog warden after somebody reported seeing them over the park on their own. They crossed two main roads to get to the park and could have been killed. I would never tie my dogs up anywhere but I do however both leave them at home and in the car depending on different circumstances.Nothing is 100% safe but I do think a barking rottie,dobermann and jack russell would put off most would be thieves in the car or home.x

Unfortunately this will pose problems for the likes of us who do not have OH's and/or an extensive network of dog carers. I take my dogs with me as much as possible, but will leave them in the car when I nip into the supermarket on the way back from a walk, or leave them in the car when I have to make a 'toilet stop' whilst at services on the motorway.

I'm sure it does help that my 2 are both mongrels without so much of a trace of anything pedigree. I do agree that tying them up outside a shop might be a bit more of a risk than you'd want to take.

As for the police's comments however, about the owners paying the ransom encouring more dog nappings: I think that the police's (perceived) unwillingness to give as much importance to a 'napped' dog as they would to a 'napped' kid is an at least as big a contributing factor. Most dognappers will by now have wisened up to the fact that a stolen dog is regarded as "stolen property" and isn't exactly at the top of any police force's list of priorities :(

I don't have an OH, or dog friendly family and friends, nor do i have dog carers.. and I don't spend my life cooped up with my dogs.. when going on long journeys say for a toilet stop, the dogs get a toilet stop at the services, I pull into a field. I never never leave my dogs unattended... believe me I see enough theft to last me a life time and my lot don't get exposed for a second. It doesn't help at all that yours are mongrels. If you have a dog theyr'e worth hundreds in ransom - this was £750 for a lurcher, no pedigree...

Fortunately, in the police's defence, we have some fab police officers on board who do take dogs seriously... and some great results from them too :)

PS that minute in a supermarket is where dogs nicked from cars happen. Sorry but it's true!

I have to admit since I started reading these forums I am a nervous wreck. I never walk the dogs alone anymore, fret constantly while I am away from the house and have had quite a few nightmares about them being stolen to the point that I'm not really able to enjoy having them anymore. I don't look forward to the weekends thinking of new places for us to go and walk but will it be safe, am I varying my routine enough, will someone steal them while we are at work? I had a full house alarm system fitted that will dial my mobile if it is triggered and new locks on all the windows and doors my partner thinks I'm nuts but I can't explain what is wrong because I just can't bear to talk about it. I don't talk to people on walks anymore and if I see a man on his own where I walk, immediately suspect he is eyeing up dogs.

I'm glad I have finally said it.

I'm driving the dogs down to SW France on my own which is a 650 mile journey so I am going to have to stop at services for pee breaks, for the dogs and for me. Fortunately dog theft isn't an issue in France and the car I'm driving has dark tinted windows. All I know is that my breaks are going to be very quick indeed.

I take Maddie and Mason to the shop with me, but I always take one of the boys or even Phill o.h (mr hankey) so some one is with the dogs.

I doubt anybody would take Mason... he is a big pain in the butt, but I love him any way :love: :love:

Edited by amanda72