UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Landywoods

Mrs B

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always find that some of the meat I get is partly or completely defrosted - I know it probably shouldn't be refrozen but there's not much choice. Albion don't have the range of foods I want and although the Durham company looks great, they don't seem to deliver to the Midlands :(

I appreciate that totally Rudi, if it's completely defrosted you could cook it up before freezing it. Howver the van really should be able to keep the temperatures to a degree that the produce doesn't defrost. Are they aware that it's defrosting on route? A case of food posioning won't do their trade much good....

AMP deliver my meat all the way from Leeds to Anglesey with stops inbetween and it's never defrosted!! I wouldn't at all be happy if it was! They even offer to load the meat into my freezers because I'm not at home when it's delivered (haven't taken them up on that offer as it would involve running the guantlet of 4 dogs!! :laugh: ). I do get frustrated with the lack of variety but the quality and service makes up for it.

The meat isn't cookable :( especially the minced chicken and turkey or chicken carcasses :( I suppose I assume that the dogs' stomachs can take it. Their staple is tripe and that never seems to have defrosted. Strangely, it's mostly the lamb and I'll probably just stop buying it.

I have told them that it defrosts. It also doesn't help that the last couple of times they've called, they've not even delivered it through my back gate (they used to put it in the back garden and cover it with a solar blanket I leave out). It's only out for a short while before I get home to put it away, but they have promised in future to telephone me when they deliver it so I can put it away as soon as it arrives.

Can't believe AMP offer to put it in the freezer, that's brilliant service :cool:

Edited by Rudi

Can't believe AMP offer to put it in the freezer, that's brilliant service :cool:

It could well be cos the driver knows who I work for and he's got family in Ireland so is after a free ticket!! :laugh: :wink:

I left the freezer door open at the weekend (cos I'm bloody stupid and have money to burn!! :rolleyes: ) anyway I considered cooking the meat but the thought of cooking tripe and beef made my stomach turn so it got binned instead!! :sick02:

It could well be cos the driver knows who I work for and he's got family in Ireland so is after a free ticket!! :laugh: :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: That's worth a free ticket to Ireland - specially if he did it every time!

I just phoned Albion and asked for a price list - they seem to have a bigger range than they did last time I looked into them. Prices don't seem much different to Landywoods and the bulk delivery size seems the same, so I'll give them a go. They promised the meat turns up frozen too!

Why isn't it cookable? :unsure: I cook the minced chicken for my lot (carcassses as well). Should I not be doing? :unsure:

If you cook the carcasses the bones become brittle and they are dangerous. Why not feed it raw? Doggies love raw food and it's v good for them. Mine have all their meat, tripe, offal and fish raw - they love it. Theyhave nice clean teeth and fresh breath from chomping the raw bones.

Edited by Spins4me

Why isn't it cookable? :unsure: I cook the minced chicken for my lot (carcassses as well). Should I not be doing? :unsure:

Sorry, I didn't see this post earlier - I don't cook it because the mince contains bone and I feed the carcasses whole - do you strip the meat off the carcasses when they're cooked?

If you cook the carcasses the bones become brittle and they are dangerous. Why not feed it raw? Doggies love raw food and it's v good for them. Mine have all their meat, tripe, offal and fish raw - they love it. Theyhave nice clean teeth and fresh breath from chomping the raw bones.

They get raw marrowbones to chomp on so their teeth are lovely. However, I don't wish to feed them raw on a daily basis (have tried it years ago but have different views on it now) :flowers:

Sorry, I didn't see this post earlier - I don't cook it because the mince contains bone and I feed the carcasses whole - do you strip the meat off the carcasses when they're cooked?

I don't buy the carcasses, I buy the minced chicken, which does have bone in it, but the pieces are so small that I've never foreseen a problem. If I see bits of bone while I'm cooking it, I will take them out, but they are always so miniscule that I don't think the bone splintering would be a problem :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my first order from Albion Meat Products - can't believe how much more civilised it is compared to Landywoods. Usually the meat is delivered part or sometimes fully defrosted in unsealed bags that are placed upside down in cardboard trays and left outside my gate. The cardboard trays are soaked with blood, so really difficult to move and it takes ages and ages to put it all away and clean up afterwards. It's a complete blood bath and really unpleasant.

Albion phoned early with the delivery time and turned up when they said they would with neatly packaged, completely frozen food and put it all just inside my shed door, where the freezers are. It took me less than 10 minutes to put it all away and I didn't have to clean myself up or get changed! It takes up half the space in the freezer! It's slightly more expensive for the basic range, I guess due to the packaging but well worth it. I'm very impressed. They offered to put the meat away too - I shall take them up on that next time so I don't have to go home from work.

Edited by Rudi

I had just about forgotten I'd even started this thread .......................... so didn't update it with tales of my last delivery in June when, basically, Landywoods rang me in the morning to say there was one thing they didn't have, did I want to swap it - by the time I'd rung back FIVE minutes later the lorry had left - and they hadn't bothered to put a substitute on at all.

When I took the actual delivery, about five different items were missing - suffice to say by the time I'd rung Janet to sort out what my "actual" payment should be, the value of the order was about half what we'd placed!

That was how I spent my birthday!!!

I was promised a "top up order" with the missing items - but when I rang in August to find out when delivery was, I found it had been the previous day and "someone" should have rung me.

This week, we're trying out DAF. :unsure: Apart from the fact that we have been going around in circles as they've said "we're delivering to your area when we have enough orders" while there's us hanging on trying to make sure we're not left without food for weeks.

So, DAF delivery Wednesday (I think). My order seems more expensive, but I'm not quite clear on some of the quantities being delivered. And at the moment I have no idea whatsoever of when the delivery will arrive. Watch this space!