UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Long Rant (sorry)

Fee

I am so fed up, I just need to rant. There's a large, boisterous, entire labrador who keeps appearing when we're out and who charges up to my dogs and attempt to mount them all - male or female, he's not fussy. :angry:

My poor wobbly oldies really aren't up to that sort of treatment, and he's hurt Molly and Musky more than once jumping on them, Sophie is terrified of him and it's getting to the stage when I daren't let her offlead in case this dog appears - I think she'd bolt at about 100 mph. Taz hates him and wants to make mincemeat of him. Meg seems to rather like it :rolleyes:

The dog himself is really friendly, I think he's quite young and it is all play behaviour, but unfortunately he seems to have taken a particular liking to my dogs. If he is walking anywhere in the area, even several fields away, he makes a beeline for us and appears from nowhere over a gate or crashing through a hedge, so it's very difficult to know when he's around or avoid him.

This evening I was with a friend so I left her looking after my dogs and put a lead on the labrador and marched him back to his owner (who was three fields away, calling his dog but making no attempt to follow) and told him what a nuisance his dog was becoming. He agreed it was a 'problem' but says there is nothing he can do about it, his dog will run off to 'play' with other dogs and he can't stop it :wacko:

In the end I lost it and told him to keep his bl**dy dog on a lead and get it's balls off, preferably tomorrow. He says he can't keep him on lead as he'd 'go mad' without a good run, and he can't have him done as he's going to be used for stud. :mad2:

I suppose if it carries on my only option will be to involve the Dog Warden, which I really don't want to do, but I WON'T have my dogs hurt and frightened because some idiot can't and won't keep their dog under control.

That is really frustrating Fee :( Maybe if you did involve the dog warden, the owner might listen to them and actually try to be a responsible owner. If he's got that little control over the dog, he could well run into a road and get hurt/cause an accident at some point, aside from the annoyance he's causing to you.

:GroupHug:

We got 'mugged' the other day by a young Great Dane. The bloke with him said he couldn't put him on a lead cos the dog was too strong and heavy and he couldn't hold him. FFS Minke weighs more than me and I can handle her (OK so sometimes it's a bit of a battle of wills if she spots something she reeeeelly needs to investigate :laugh: ).

I hate it when really boisterous dogs come boinging over to Barney - he's so obviously old and frail, and we have a little toddle well away from where the main dog walking areas are in the park. Like you Fee I get well peed off when the same dog comes over countless times when I have made it perfectly clear to the owner that Barney is not up for a wrestle with their over enthusiastic youngster (which is obviously in dire need of some training).............and breathe :D

Sol's one and only "issue" is confined solely to other dogs when he's on his lead at big events and a big bouncy dog off-lead (a Newfoundland was his last victim) races over and hurls itself at him. Were Sol off-lead too, it would be no problem but I don't feel that this is really responsible. Fortunately I have a Face Of DoomTM so I rarely have to resort to my Vocabulary Of DoomTM which normally heads any complaint off at the pass. I can't believe how many owners seem to genuinely believe that the dog under control is the one to blame though. They usually wander off muttering something about their dog "only wanting to play". :angry:

Well if he won't control his dog can you carry a pop up brolly or water pistol to ward his dog off yours? If he has a problem with it tell him tough, he should have dealt with his dog himself! (you need to make sure yours arent frightened by these items first). :flowers:

I would also speak to the dog warden about him. If the dog is charging across 3 fields the owner is not in control. If there were a person who was afraid of dogs/children in one of these fields they could be terrified! :angry: Not to mention the fact that someone's dog might retaliate to its yobbish behaviour then get labelled aggressive! :rolleyes: