UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oldie So Unsettled In The Evening

jax39

My oldie rescue springer Tilly, is so unsettled every evening. She asks to go out every 5 minutes, is scratching at doors, carpets, the cooker, all evening. Ive bought her a kong to try to distract her,(works for about 5 mins!) she wont play so cant keep her amused that way. This is now really beginning to drive me mad! Ive had her a year, she has always done this, but it wasnt as manic as it is now. It really is every evening (no problems during the day) and goes on ALL evening. Im wondering is she trying to tell me something, is she unwell, is she going senile? Im thinking its boredom, but shes arthritic and doesnt enjoy walks, I still take her out everyday though, but I cant tire her out with exercise. Ive recently taken her to the vets for blood and urine checks to see if theres any uderlying problems, but all clear. Im worried in case shes really unhappy or hurting, but I dont what to do, has anyone else dealt with this? (Thanks for reading such a long a post!)

(Oh it wasnt that long was it! )

Has something changed in your house? Is the heating now on and making a noise, is she too hot, are you feeding her at a different time?

I recently had to get up in the night several times as Lily was whining, in the end I sat on the sofa downstairs with her for several hours as she wouldn't settle. I was quite convinced that she was either senile or in real pain. It turned out that the filter on the fish tank was making a noise intermittently and now we've sorted that out we are all getting more sleep!

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

No nothing has changed. Its so frustrating as I just dont know whats going on in her head. Also have no background history. This has been going on since day 1, but seems to be getting worse. Im completely baffled. Once we're all in bed she settles, but she does occasionally get up in the night and has a good scratch too!

Shes deaf, so it cant be any noises bothering her.

Edited by jax39

I've experienced a similar thing, a very old dog we took in paced constantly all evening but slept like a log through the day. The vet said it was senility and there are tablets you can use that help circulation to the brain (sorry, can't remember the name, other fugees may know :unsure: ). For her the tablets didn't have a huge effect but her senility was quite advanced.

Is Tilly on anything for her arthritis? just thinking that she might be more uncomfortable in the evenings. Or another thought - is she unsettled after her meal, could be something in her food that unsettles her (additives and all that), or is she on any medication that might be affecting her? (my mums old collie used to be on PLTs for arthritis and this made her really "confused" in the evenings)

Sorry if this doesn't help, hope you get her sorted soon :GroupHug:

Thanks Tilly1712, it does sound remarkably similar! Fine during the day, but constantly pacing/scratching/unsettled in the evening. She is on norocarp painkillers, perhaps she needs a higher strength, or a different medication? I feed her on chicken/rice/veg, home-made, so it cant be additives. (Recently tried changing her diet to a light all-in-one to reduce her weight a bit, but she wont touch it.) But this has been going on since Ive had her, so Im sure it cant be that. Perhaps we need another trip to the vet. Ill mention it when we're there on Tuesday, for her weigh in.

One of my friends old Whippets did this, he would even wake her up during the night and would lie in his bed in their bedroom whining all night, she tried the stuff that Tilly mentioned and it did help there are several on the market Vivitonin , Fitergol , Seligian and Clomicalm

It might not be, but agree as per previous comments that some of the behaviour does point toward senility i'm afraid, my springer had dementia & was fine during the day but paced about the house at night & couldn't settle wanting to go in & out, up & down stairs until we just left all the doors in the house open for her to wander, I hope it isn't & maybe your vet can come up with some suggestions. The medications available now are supposed to be very good so you have nothing to lose by trying it if it does prove to be going that way - good luck :GroupHug:

I'd agree that it does sound as though there may be an element of senility in her behaviour, for some reason that often does seem worse at night. :GroupHug:

Does she have her main meal in the evening? If so it might be worth trying splitting her food into 2-3 smaller meals a day. Old dogs sometimes have probems digesting large meals and can feel bloated and uncomfortable afterwards.

Lots of luck with the vet, I hope that you can find something that will help her :flowers:

My vet has upped her meds to 2 x norocarp a day for a week, reducing to 1 1/2 after that. Will wait and see if she improves! The problem with her evening behaviour is that no-one sees it, so how is the vet to make a diagnosis? Anyway, will wait and see if the painkillers help. Fingers crossed.

Did you tell the vet what I've stated here? It does sound like oldie pottering about behaviour. I had a Yorkie who lived to be 17.5 who used to drive me nuts wandering about all through the night but slept through the day. She wasn't senile in the slightest. Although I do agree with all of the above comments and in Tilly's case it could be senility. Is she sleeping a lot in the day and then can't settle at night? If so if you are around keep her awake more and see if that has any effect. Not very helpful am I? Sorry!

• 5 weeks later...

Just wondered how she is getting on? :flowers:

My vet has upped her meds to 2 x norocarp a day for a week, reducing to 1 1/2 after that. Will wait and see if she improves! The problem with her evening behaviour is that no-one sees it, so how is the vet to make a diagnosis? Anyway, will wait and see if the painkillers help. Fingers crossed.

Norocarp is for arthritis and the like isn't it? Did you mention what you have said on this thread, to your vet? I would have thought it would be worth trying some kind of supplement/medication geared towards senility?

We had a homeopathic vet come out to see our oldie Sweetie (we'd already seen the conventional vet but I wanted to see what the homeopathic one could suggest). He put her onto Aktivait, which we got from our usual vet. It's a supplement that I just added to her food - you can read more about it here: http://www.naturalpetcare.co.uk/petshop/pr...products_id=490 - thought it might be something you could speak to your vet about - there are other medications too. We tried one from the vet - can't remember if it was Vivitonin or something else.

If your vet is only prescribing painkillers even if you've given him this info, I would be inclined to go back and speak to them again if it were my dog :flowers: