UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pups With Docked Tails?

BilRed

I think spaniels can still be docked in England. it has to be done before they are 5 days old, it has to be done by a vet and the vet has to have seen evidence that the dogs are to be working dogs. We are lucky up here in that it is illegal to dock any dog, it's also illegal to take pups out of Scotland to have them docked.

Terri

I saw a litter of springer pups advertised as with docked tails - I didn't think this was legal anymore? Does anyone know?

Please pass on details as to where they are advertised as some young docked Springer pups were stolen recently from Northants. Details on Doglost, will try to find the link for you.

There was a notice put up in my local pet shop that was printed by a vets surgery.

It stated that certain breeds were exempt from the docking law that was recently brought it, i think the following breeds were on it:

Weimarana's, Springer spaniels, i think there were a couple more on there, terriers i think but cant remember. :unsure:

I can go back tomorrow and read it again if anyone likes?

But i remembered it as i thought all breeds were included in the ban and was suprised to read some were not.

In England, Working spaniels are exempt from the ban as long as they are docked within 5 (or is it 3) days by a vet and microchipped. The breeders have to prove that the dogs arelikely to be worked, (i.e. by producing a gun certificate) which is the biggest problem as that provides no guarentees that the pups will go to working homes anyway!

The ones that makes me suspicious are the non-working breeds such as rottes and boxers that are still advertising as docked, there is no way they should be!

Thank you for everyones replies. The spaniels were springers and almost certainly a working litter around here. I didn't think at the time that I posted but they were advertised on a vets noticeboard, I think the vet would not have carried the ad if it were illegal but I will check with them, it sounds as though it is one that is exempt though.