UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Agility Clubs

Amberblue

• 4 weeks later...
Where in the south west?

Hi, well, we're looking around Somerset way atm... not sure exactly where just yet... Final location may well depend on proximity to an agility club!

I've had a wee look on agilitynet, but there doesn't seem to be any clubs with internet sites? This normal? Just about every club in NZ has a site ... including the one I'm currently at! NorWest Dog Training Club :biggrin:

Some of the larger clubs have websites (or those with people who can do them). I think a lot don't bother because their classes are full.

There are many independant clubs around this way. I live in Somerset (near Wincanton) but teach agility at Motcombe (between Gillingham & Shaftesbury), which isn't very far away.

If you move near, you are more than welcome to join in with us. :biggrin:

If you move near, you are more than welcome to join in with us. :biggrin:

Watch out! I may take you up on that!

Now.... can anyone answer me this? As my dogs have achieved a set level in NZ, how would this translate in joining agility competitions in the UK?

Also here, there are only two types of competition - Ribbon Trials (non KC members can join in) and Championship Shows (KC members only). There are three types of competition in the UK that I can make out? Is it best to join the UKKC or not? What's the deal? The websites aren't particularly clear... :glare:

Edited by dlmckay

Watch out! I may take you up on that!

Now.... can anyone answer me this? As my dogs have achieved a set level in NZ, how would this translate in joining agility competitions in the UK?

Also here, there are only two types of competition - Ribbon Trials (non KC members can join in) and Championship Shows (KC members only). There are three types of competition in the UK that I can make out? Is it best to join the UKKC or not? What's the deal? The websites aren't particularly clear... :glare:

There were people from NZ competing at the KC International Festival this year so they must have worked out an equivalent level for dogs competing over there.

Does the NZKC operate under FCI rules for agility?

This is the person to ask about where you would fit into our system and whether you need to register with the UKKC to compete in KC shows. It would depend on what (if any) registration documents you already have.

[email protected]

There are really only 2 basic types of competition, although one is very fragmented.

Firstly you have KC shows which comprise the vast majority. Any dog registered on the KC Breed or Working Register can take part.

Secondly there are independent shows - some are one offs and some have their own small umbrella organisation with their own rules and progression.

Examples of these organisations are UKA (UK Agility) and BAA (British Agility Association).

Despite their names, they are far from nationwide - UKA being mostly in the South of England and BAA in the East Midlands.

These are how the figures work out:-

Organiser 2006 2007 Increase/decrease

The Kennel Club (September 2006-2007) 269 297 +28 shows (up 9.5%)

UK Agility 26 (competition days) 42 (competition days) +16 shows

British Agility Association 7 17 +10 shows

Some people prefer the independent shows as they tend to be far smaller than KC ones.

We had an indoor KC show yesterday - 6 rings with over 400 runs in each. (800 dogs entered).

Our Summer Show (medium sized) is a 3 day event with 7 rings and over 400 runs in each.

If you are moving to the SW, then you should be within reach of some UKA shows if you think that the size of a KC show might be too much of a culture shock intially - and KC shows are larger than ours in the south.

Pam

PS That didn't post right. The first figure for each organisation is 2006, the second 2007 and the 3rd the increase - although I'm sure you realised that.

Edited by mum24dog

Thanks for that information Pam... I'd probably stick with the KC shows then... I'd have to choose one or the other as hubby would want to have some weekends for going to football...

I don't believe that NZ runs under the FCI rules as we have higher jumps and steeper A-frame than anywhere else!

We've only changed to FCI heights recently over here but we don't use FCI rules..

Our hurdles currently stand at 675mm for maxi dogs, 570mm for midi dogs and 380mm for mini dogs.

Our A-Frame (which is Raven's nemisis) is 1.9m high at the apex with ramps between 2.75-2.9m long. Very steep, very high. Very hard to teach down contacts with a 35kg dog! Her bottom tips her front forward - she has terrible trouble with it... :wacko:

Our hurdles currently stand at 675mm for maxi dogs, 570mm for midi dogs and 380mm for mini dogs.

Our A-Frame (which is Raven's nemisis) is 1.9m high at the apex with ramps between 2.75-2.9m long. Very steep, very high. Very hard to teach down contacts with a 35kg dog! Her bottom tips her front forward - she has terrible trouble with it... :wacko:

You'll have to forgive me - I'm very old and still think in feet and inches.

Our jump heights used to be 30ins for dogs over 17ins at the withers, 20ins dogs for between 15 and 17ins and 15ins for dogs under 15ins.

A frame used to be 6ft 3ins similar to yours.

Now the max jump heights are 65, 45 and 35cm and the A frame lower to coincide with FCI heights.

Dog sizes have been recategorised as well -

Large pretty much the same.

Medium 35-43cum

Small under 35cm.

Pam

• 1 month later...