UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Old Dogs

Laurel n Hardy

This is a pic of my two oldies (until recently :mecry: )

4aaf6c347f6b0828c2fead29438b118f.JPG

Shep on the left (aged 10 - born 02/11/96) and Katie on the right (aged 12, born 25/10/94).

Katie has suffered with arthritis for years and I can't give her any pain relief because her stomach won't tolerate it but she copes pretty well. Shep had rubbish hips but I could offer pain relief and he coped ok. Of the two, you'd have put money on Shep outliving Katie; but he died from cancer just over a month ago. :mecry: :mecry:

An old dog (although both of these would qualify for Oldies Club status :laugh: ) may cope really well - or it may fail. Age in itself doesn't mean anything.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!! I love Harry he's absolutely gorgeous!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

My Cromwell is 13 (ish) and is still not 'old' he looks knackered cos of the blood disorder he has, his nose is scabby and he's scarred from the scum bag who first owned him but he's full of life and runs like a nutter! He's a terrier cross of some sort.

Our thinking for the collie monsters is:

0 - 2yrs = Puppies / Toddler

2 - 5yrs = Teenager / Young Adult

6 - 11yrs = Adult (sensible - she says with tongue firmly wedged in her cheek)

12 - 15yrs = Senior Citizen of the Silver Surfer kind

16+ = OAP

20+ = They are whatever they want to be.. :biggrin: and usually solar powered :biggrin: :wacko:

There is only a year in age between Polly 12 and Humphrey 13, but Humph does look like an older dog. Humph is grey-black and has gradually gone greyer while Polly is brown-black with no grey. Humph has had a long term and carefully managed disability following a severe injury in puppyhood, plus major emotional trauma early on which meant it took him a long time to achieve any calmness. Polly has we think done fairly well until she ended up wandering the streets with nasty infections at age 9. She is very confident around humans and other dogs. We will never know what happened but I suspect her owner may have died. She is really youthful, and when I put her in the veteran class at an exemption show, the judge Robert Killick queried her age as she was so boingy. Even after seeing her teeth he swore she must be under 7 until I told him her chip was done 10 years earlier. Now at 12 she is a bit more sedate, but still very active and taking over watchdog duties as Humph's hearing has declined.

We don't even start to think of pulis as getting old until they are in their teens. One puli appeared in a Hush Puppy advert when he was 14, looking gorgeous in full show coat. The mother of my Bridge dog Mojo didn't start to do well in shows until she was 7, and got her first CC when she was ten.

thanks for all the replys

How cute is Harry :wub: :wub:

I remember last year Max :wub: outwalked Archie and Cliffy in Weston :biggrin: and I hope he is coming this year too.

I have an 8 year old foster Westie called Tessie who is cute, adorable and very active, she is the quickest one when walking, I can't outrun her in the back garden and she can jump over the arm of the sofa, poor Archie is too chunky to do nothing more than put his front paws on the sofa and look daft.

So I reckon by definition she qualifys as a young oldie then :biggrin:

Will post some pics when i can but apart from Pooch (my laste foster) there is no cuter or adorable dog that could possible come into my life like she has. :wub: :wub:

it depends on the breed, larger breeds old is 7 smaller breeds old is more like 10 ish you hae to go on breeds not dogs.

lol my old dog never went white around his muzzle!

chels

But that doesn't necessarily work either, the standard life expectancy of a greyhound is 12-14 years, now they are large breed as far as I'm concerned, then you look at a lurcher which I know is a long legged mongrel but they can be large and the life expectancy is between 14 and 18. There is no rhyme or reason.

Oh is that the case Nettie? I didn't know that, interesting. I wonder if it varies with the cross.

Perhaps my dogs knew - Az (lurcher) is such a silly puppy and Mollydog (greyhound) sometimes seems to act like his Mum even though she is the younger one!

But that doesn't necessarily work either, the standard life expectancy of a greyhound is 12-14 years, now they are large breed as far as I'm concerned, then you look at a lurcher which I know is a long legged mongrel but they can be large and the life expectancy is between 14 and 18. There is no rhyme or reason.

Isn't it the case that mongrels generally live longer than pedigrees, so perhaps that's why lurchers have a longer life expectancy than greys?

:wub: All the dogs on here :wub: My old Collie lad Bandit sadly now at The Bridge was great till he got to about 11years then you could see him aging he had to have 8 teeth out ,2 of them his top canines ,Then he had an operation on his leg both these when he was 11 but he tried to keep up but as he got to his 13th bithday you could see the change and sadly he passed away at the end of August not long after his 13th birthday :mecry: (He is on Rainbow Bridge if anyone wants to see him ) He was a wonderful dog and very much loved :mecry: Edited by irons

Isn't it the case that mongrels generally live longer than pedigrees, so perhaps that's why lurchers have a longer life expectancy than greys?

I don't think there is a set rule for that. I believe it is a bit of an old wives tale, just like they are said to be healthier than predigrees, which is also not necessarily true.

i said it depends on the breed! not just size.

mongrels also tend to live longer

chels