UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Are You Glad You Picked Rescue Dogs

yena

I didn't stand much of a chance, really, all our family dogs as I grew up were cast-off dogs nobody else wanted. As a country vet my dad was a bit of a soft touch, and we had a succession of grumpy old farm collies, too old to work and who would have been pts (or most likely shot) if he hadn't brought them home. Poor man wasn't even particularly a dog lover, though my mum was, I think he'd have preferred a house full of cats :D

With that background it's never really occurred to me to buy a dog, and all mine have been rescues. My current five are a mixtures of ages, types and sizes but all so easy-going and good natured, I can't imagine any better, really, wherever they came from :wub:

The only thing I do regret is I've never had a puppy, or even a young dog, the youngest I've taken has been about four. One day I'd love a (rescue) puppy I can train from scratch. It'll probably never happen, though. :rolleyes:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite never being brought up with pets I always loved animals and have watched just about every pet rescue programme ever on the telly. For that reason, it never occurred to me to get anything other than a rescue dog. After walking round my local - Wood Green Animal Shelter in Cambridgeshire I noticed a lot of very sad looking, very quiet greyhounds. I was hooked and immediately adopted my beautiful Barley who had been picked up as a stray and had been there for 9 months without a hint of interest. The staff were ecstatic to see him rehomed despite being a huge favourite and I have to say that I love him so much it makes me cry. 5 months later Ellie joined us and the same applies :wub: I love and care about all breeds but I will always have rescued greyhounds.

because what I want from my easy dog is very specific, I don't think I'll find that in rescue, and with a rescue puppy there is no way of knowing what you're going to get.

I think it's very sad that you don't believe you can get an "easy" dog from rescue.

And I could give you quite a number of carefully chosen pups from breeders that haven't turned out as hoped.

Pups are always an unknown quantity to some extent - part of the reason why I never want one, rescue or not.

Pam

I feel pretty much the same.

I do think that I will always have rescue dogs, and I will always want to rescue a dog with behavioural problems because I know I'm capable of handling it, but at the same time I want (and actually think I deserve!) an 'easy' dog. I want a puppy next, and because what I want from my easy dog is very specific, I don't think I'll find that in rescue, and with a rescue puppy there is no way of knowing what you're going to get.

Because of that, my next dog (and I'm semi looking now) will be from a breeder, unless a small/medium scruffy, non shedding dog with a wonderful temperament and is no more than 1 year old comes up in rescue! I'm looking but I'm not hopeful.

I'm so sorry you feel that way. Please feel free to come visit Sidney any day. He's non-shedding, and believe me ask anyone you like he's the most 'perfect' you get in a dog. He's kind, loving, loyal, playful, obedient, fun and cuddly. He was house trained in a day, he never has chewed, never yapped (well unless you don't throw the ball quick enough) and could be left from the first day quiet happily. He travels perfectly, can be taken to any situation and adapt and is fantastic around children. He is friendly with every single dog I've ever met, he doesn't fight back even if attacked and he learns within seconds. To me he is the dog I always wanted...and yes of course he's rescue. You may say I was lucky to find him...and I agree I was but as the only dog I've had since a puppy I also believe that most of his personality comes from me and what I've taught and exposed him to. I didn't go looking for the 'perfect' dog...but he found me. :wink: (I also believe he's my reward for putting up with Tiz and Cromwell for so long!! :laugh: )

I'm so sorry you feel that way. Please feel free to come visit Sidney any day. He's non-shedding, and believe me ask anyone you like he's the most 'perfect' you get in a dog. He's kind, loving, loyal, playful, obedient, fun and cuddly. He was house trained in a day, he never has chewed, never yapped (well unless you don't throw the ball quick enough) and could be left from the first day quiet happily. He travels perfectly, can be taken to any situation and adapt and is fantastic around children. He is friendly with every single dog I've ever met, he doesn't fight back even if attacked and he learns within seconds. To me he is the dog I always wanted...and yes of course he's rescue. You may say I was lucky to find him...and I agree I was but as the only dog I've had since a puppy I also believe that most of his personality comes from me and what I've taught and exposed him to. I didn't go looking for the 'perfect' dog...but he found me. :wink: (I also believe he's my reward for putting up with Tiz and Cromwell for so long!! :laugh: )

Jacky's description of Sidney pretty well sums up my George too :biggrin: He is non shedding, loving, loyal, does everything you ever ask of him. I always say he is a brilliant ambassador for rescued dogs.

I have several friends with pedigree dogs from breeders and quite a few of them are "difficult" dogs. Their owners frequently comment on how well behaved George is and it's lovely to see how devoted to me he is and wish their own dogs were like him.

It's rescue dogs for me every time, I could not in all conscience go to a breeder when I know how many dogs are sitting in pounds and rescues all over the country.

Marion

Yes, I am very proud of our rescue dogs... though we also have one non-rescue dog.

I got into the dog rescue world because because we wanted adult dogs due to our work commitments. When I was first looking for a dog, I wanted an adult Standard Poodle, but it was made clear to me quickly that due to me not having any experience with poodles (other than training all kinds of breeds for 15 years and looking after a guide dog standard poodle occasionally), I would not be considered a suitable home :wacko: .

So I went looking on DP, being open-minded about breeds. When I saw Dylan on there, I wanted him - and got him. Troy came from the breed rescue too.

When I wanted a third dog, there was no question that it would be a rescue dog as there are so many saluki lurchers looking for homes. And we got Flash.

When I was looking for dog number 4, which had to be a small dog, I was initially looking at rescue dogs, however, they come up very rarely in my chosen breed, so I got onto the waiting list of a very reputable American Cocker breeder and we got Jesse earlier this year.

I feel pretty much the same.

I do think that I will always have rescue dogs, and I will always want to rescue a dog with behavioural problems because I know I'm capable of handling it, but at the same time I want (and actually think I deserve!) an 'easy' dog. I want a puppy next, and because what I want from my easy dog is very specific, I don't think I'll find that in rescue, and with a rescue puppy there is no way of knowing what you're going to get.

Because of that, my next dog (and I'm semi looking now) will be from a breeder, unless a small/medium scruffy, non shedding dog with a wonderful temperament and is no more than 1 year old comes up in rescue! I'm looking but I'm not hopeful.

I sort of agree with you, Jo, though I didn't get Jesse because I wanted an easy dog as such. I did however chose an American Cocker because I wanted a breed that had a low prey drive. I can handle whatever other problems are thrown at me, but I couldn't deal with a third high preydrive dog. And Jesse is just turning out perfectly (so far!) in that respect (or any other respect for that matter). He has a very low preydrive, the only thing he does chase is birds, and he is called off of them easily too. And it is great to have at least one dog that I don't have to watch around other dogs, that I know won't be too rough with other dogs when playing etc.

Having said all that, I wouldn't want to change our rescue dogs for the world. All of them have turned into fantastic dogs, though it was flipping hard work at times! But they are really doing me proud now!

Vera

Each time I had a space, a dog needing a home turned up. I can't go to a breeder because I wouldn't know which breed to go for, I love them all and don't have any favourites.

With this gang Joe was the first, I didn't intend to keep him because he wasn't what I wanted but I couldn't leave him in that home. He was beaten in the name of training and there was a young girl who thought he was a doll. Joe had learnt that he had to bite to get what he wanted. He was in such a state I couldn't rehome him.

Merlin was the next, I had just lost Tommy and was really missing her. Someone suggested having a Greyhound as I had never had one before and Merlin was available, he has had a very rough life before I got him as he is an ex racer from Northern Ireland, thankfully that track is now closed.

Gracie came because I had just lost Dixie and no longer had a little girl. I found her several pages down on DP, she had been in rescue a long time but nobody wanted a grey faced oldie. She was fear aggressive to other dogs when she came but is such a cutie and that fear aggression has gone.

Bonnie was next, she looked like both Dixie and Tommy and Bill fell for her. I tried very hard not to go for her but Bill won. 2 months in a crate after both her back legs being broken and she was only 8 months old when I got her. I also said that she would be the last youngster, I was getting too old for them and in future will adopt oldies, so how come I managed to get a 20 week old pup?

After getting Bonnie I said no more but then an appeal went out for a fosterer for Tilly aka Tina, on RDR last December, Tilly was about 20 weeks old and if a fosterer couldn't be found she would have had to spend Christmas in kennels. I said I would take her until she was rehomed in the New Year, she never was :laugh: Tilly is about a year old now, is a pain in the butt at times but I wouldn't be without her.

With 5 dogs I felt I couldn't cope with any more but last April an appeal went out again from RDR, they have a lot to answer to, for Ellie aka Stella, she had 2 large tumours and they needed a foster home for her to recouperate so I said I would foster her. My little Ellie is the perfect dog, a very good ambassador for the Staffy breed and hasn't put a paw wrong since she came her last April. She gets on well with both people and animals and everyone she meets loves her, they have to she won't allow them not to :laugh:

Someone asked me a couple of years ago why I took in dogs, "Because they needed a home and I had room", that has also gone for my 2 that were supposed to be foster dogs but stayed :wub: