UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

When Buying Meat Do You

Melp

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz, I know a few people who think the same as you ....but what if the food you are eating is doing you more harm than good?

Food pumped full of growth hormones for example, which you then eat, and in some cases is implicated in fast growing cancers.....

I don't eat meat, but my husband does. However, he would rather eat good quality, well cared for meat a couple of times a week ,then mass produced rubbish every day.

I buy of the shelf. I love the cooked chickens in sainsburys, £3.50 nice and hot. Ive watched the ch4 River cottage, it hasnt changed my mind.

I am an animal lover, but to me, once its dead and on a plate, it doesnt matter how it lived. If organic was closer to the cheaper prices id buy it, but its price that counts. There are so many vegetarians now, but there are still battery chickens, and always will be im afraid

See now I don't get that.

I'm not a vegetarian but I do care very much about how the animal has lived it's life. I don't mind that it has died to feed me provided it has had a good life.

I was a vegetarian for about 11 years because I was concerned about the way animals were kept and the amount of hormones and other crud that was pumped into them. I'm kind of heading back that way again I think, mainly because I can either afford to feed the dogs fresh caught game and organic meat or I can afford to feed it to us. The dogs need it far more than we do, so they get it regularly, we get it occasionally.

if you think about the individual animal, then it would be nice for it to have had a happy life, but I couldnt rear an animal like hugh does, then ring its neck. With battery farming, there is no emotion with the individuals, as really, they arnt, they are money. In the programme, the battery farmer says he makes I think 5p from each bird.

I take the animal lover out of food buying. Some people wont eat rabbit because they have had one as a pet. people on another site say they let their dogs kill and eat a rabbit while out on a walk.

With battery farming, there is no emotion with the individuals, as really, they arnt, they are money. In the programme, the battery farmer says he makes I think 5p from each bird.

And until we start to demand better and value life as just that - having value - things will never improve and ultimately we will pay the price from eating low quality, chemical ridden food, not to mention the knock on effect of generations of children having no idea of the value of life - all life.

In dog terms your first sentence could easily relate to racing greyhounds :(

Well as a veggie I'm going to say yes of course. In my mind you don't eat things you love :wink:

But I do think that the minimum an animal lover ought to do is to make an effort to make sure any animals they eat have had a good a life as possible before death. Yes it is more expensive but the price will only come down once more people support free range meat production. If it's too expensive to eat every day then why not have it every other day and eat veggie other days? It would be a far healthier diet anyway and meat substitutes are so good these days it really isn't that hard.

That is what I was just thinking.

We don't buy any meat. However if we did, I wouldn't buy factory farmed meat from a supermarket. With regards to the extra cost of sourcing something that has been more ethically reared and killed, I would simply eat meat with fewer meals. From a nutritional point of view we don't need to eat meat with every meal anyway.

Compassion in World Farming - Eat Less Meat Campaign