UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Insurance For Oldies

Jacobean

I just had the renewal through from M&S 0 its almost doubled from £8 a month to £15 which every one seems to be saying, the excess is now £50 there is no no excess choice it seems and for dogs over 8 it says excess of "50 or 15 % which ever is the highter

Apparantly if you had no excess before you will still have it. You need to read the bottom of the letter carefully.

They are now withdrawing the no excess option for new policies.

The excess for older dogs has always applied but you needed to read all the policy details to find it. Most people didn't.

I just had the renewal through from M&S 0 its almost doubled from £8 a month to £15 which every one seems to be saying, the excess is now £50 there is no no excess choice it seems and for dogs over 8 it says excess of "50 or 15 % which ever is the highter

Boysie is now about 9, still on the no excess policy, and they haven't applied the 15% rule to us (we renewed in March have claimed since then) :unsure:

Mollydog is with M&S: I tried to insure Az with them as well, but was told that they are no longer accepting new policies for dogs over the age of 8.

That's odd because I just did a "dummy" quote through M&S's online quote thingie for a male crossbreed dog aged 9yrs 3 months and they quoted fine, even with a £0 excess :unsure:

Apparantly if you had no excess before you will still have it. You need to read the bottom of the letter carefully.

I queried that with them for Sno's renewal and they said the same, that if you have previously had no excess, it still applies. It did say it somewhere in the paperwork they sent, I just hadn't got that far thru' reading it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would put a quick update after saying I'd let you know how Virgin were at paying up. First cheque (less the excess) came through in good time. Lucy's extreme pedicure (2 toes amputated) was on 12th June, so it would have been at the earliest 18th before the form came back from the vet and was sent off. Well - the cheque for £488 landed on Thursday - less than 2.5 weeks later. Only one of the toes came off due to the original incident, the other was due to osteoarthritis being spotted on the xray pre-op - so technically a further excess could have been deducted for this (just for the surgery part, but it was clear why 2 were being taken off) - however it wasn't.

So - I can recommend both Pet Plan and Virgin now.

ps Lucy is charging around with no problems, only a bit limpy if overdoes things, or the foot gets damp inside her kinky boot - incredible after such a short time!

I know this thread is about oldies insurance and Jasper is only 4 but I have been reading with interest as insurance in general seems to be a bit of a minefield and someone has said they'd not heard good things about E&L which has got me a bit concerned.

Jasper is insured with 'animal friends', E&L are the underwriters. I was lured by the claim that they help alot of animal charities and that the cover they give is for life ie. Jasper's cover gives £4000 per condition per year for life and they also cover complimentary medicines/therapies.

I am due for renewal shortly so will be trailing through the bog that is Animal Insurance and would appreciate any advice from anyone or would like to hear from anyone with experience of 'animal friends' as we've only had Jasper coming up for a year and thankfully not had to claim!

If anyone can help...many thanks

Debs.

Edited by Jasper's Debs

I don't think I have heard anything bad about Animal Friends specifically, but I do remember being interested in it for the same reasons you mention. However I have heard lots of not so good stuff about E&L over the years and once I heard that Animal Friends was connected with E&L I decided to look elsewhere.

I won't advise you what to do with your insurance policy as that's not my place :flowers: but if I had a young dog with no conditions that would be excluded from a new policy with a different company, I would be looking elsewhere.

I'm sure too that there must be people with positive E&L/Animal Friends experiences.

One thing that does worry me about having no insurance is not having any liability cover if the dog injures someone or causes an accident - does anyone have any experience of getting a liability only policy?

While the most damage I can really imagine Musky doing is standing on someone's foot, I guess any dog *could* get loose and cause a traffic accident.

(I'm quite consious of this as my grandfather was knocked over by a couple of friendly labradors who zoomed over to say hello to his ancient collie, he broke his hip and that was effectively the end of his mobility and independence. In those days it was 'just bad luck', nowadays I suspect people would be pursuing a million pound lawsuit)

Fee - Alice is covered for £2 million third party insurance with the pet ID club.... like you I was a bit concerned in these days of people claiming for the slightest thing! www.pet-id.net - not had to make any claims luckily!!

just looked on their website quickly and cannot see the 3rd party only insurance - think that comes under the ID bit rather than the insurance bit.....

Edited by buddyboy