UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Separation Anxiety

KathyM

Hi you lot

I wondered if you had any ideas for our Seth. Seth is an older boxer boy we adopted recently. He is neutered.

Seth does not like to be left alone at all really. He is also an escape artist - he can open doors, and will if we shut one on him. If we have to go out, he is left with Dharma, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Kongs can't be used, as he is a resource guarder (although he could have one if left in another room to Dharma, but I'm not sure it would be of more help being separated from her - not that it's helping him to be with her).

If left, he scratches at the door handle until it opens. If this is not successful, he chews furniture (so far only a dining chair and the sideboard).

Dharma is not bothered at all about being left, so she obvously thinks he's a bit of a plonker. :laugh:

Any tips on getting him more relaxed about being left? It's not a huuuge problem because there tends to be one of us around, and I know it's going to be difficult to help him at his age as it's likely he's been doing this a long time. I'm not keen on the idea of crate-training him at his age - I'm not convinced it would help.

Thanks

Kathy

It's a difficult one Kathy. :unsure:

I guess you have gone right back to basics, ie leaving for a couple of minutes then returning with plenty of praise. Also not making a fuss when you leave etc.

Have you tried leaving a tv on, I found that really helped with Dyls when he first arrived. I couldn't even have a wee without him screaming the place down for the first few days.

I do hope you can sort things. It's no fun not being able to do basics like shopping without the dogs, or worrying about Seth being stressed, bless him.

Kazz xx

Thanks Kazz :GroupHug:

Can't really test the "leave for a minute" idea because of his door opening skills. If he's asleep and hasn't noticed, he may be okay for a couple of minutes, but if he's up and about, you close the door and he opens it. These are doors that open inwards too, so he's pretty well practiced at it *lol*.

Originally he was doing this with outside doors as well, which was a difficult one (us having to latch the doors and have the kids knock to come in, us hold Seth for them to go out, etc) but neutering seems to have helped this a lot. That obviously wasn't part of the separation anxiety though, more likely he was wanting to wander again.

He seems to be okay when we go to bed if we go very late (he sleeps in dining room with Dharma), and doesn't always try the door through the night, but he does chew sometimes.

He seems to be very drived by constant contact with people - if we go to the park and he is onlead, he gets quite upset if the kids run off and he can't see them. While this (when interpreted in human terms which I know is wrong) seems endearing, it's obviously distressing to him and we don't want that.

Anyhoo, I'm waffling!

Thanks

Kathy

x

SA is a really hard one to get over Akira had it as a pup and it was awful seeing the state she got into , i ended up crate training her which was a god send , i can fully understand why you dont want to crate train Seth , but he might actually feel safe and secure in a crate Kathy . I know when Taz was ill , he had never been in a crate before but i ened up borrowing one so he could get peace from madam and he loved it .

As well as what Kazz said about going back to basics , i was just wondering what kind of handles have you got on your doors and could you turn them upside down so Seth cant open the doors ?

How about a dog gate between them so you can try kongs? Then they could see each other but not get near to have any spats over the kongs ? Storm is a resource guarder too and its not an easy thing to change especially with food , if i go out and leave him and Akira with kongs i crate one of them and leave the other free both in the livingroom so they can see each other but cant argue over anything.

Oh i forgot i have taken a couple of pics of that harness but havent put them on the pc yet , my kids need a real talking to about nicking my camera and hiding the lead to the pc :angry:

Fiona xx

Thanks both of you :flowers:

Fiona - we've got handley handles *lol* - will ask Baz if it's possible to turn them upside down, thanks for the tip! We did think about putting knobs on but they'd be a faff for our Chris (long story). We crate trained Dharma when she was younger and it was a Godsend, but with Seth I'm concerned that his age and his anxiety would go against him, he really doesn't like being enclosed - normally I'd be all for it, so maybe I'm just being soft. I think the stairgate idea might be more doable though if I can find one he can't jump. Re: the harness - no rush and thanks ever so much!

Allie - we've tried Bach flower remedies and they aren't doing anything sadly. Is Anxiety a Bach flower one? Yes he does follow me through the day - if I'm pottering about he's like a shadow and if Baz calls him to him instead, he goes to him but comes back to me (he's the same if the kids go out, gets slightly distressed even if we're still there). The stairgate on the stairs (we're also going through cat training with him) ended up falling off the wall *lol* - he can clear it depending on what position it's placed in. If we raise it off the ground slightly (not enough for him to get under) he tries to squeeze any body part he can fit underneath - normally his legs, so it gets a right bashing. Whoever invented skirting boards didn't think of our Seth in the equation!

Ive tried a few different ones on Boo and found rescue remedie ect to be useless. Tried Anxiety on boo and piper (recent "i am scared to death of vets) and on both dogs its worked wonders! Can get it from company of animals, or pets at home. About £10 for a bottle that lasts ages. Dont put it in waterhtho, give every 15 mins for a hour before you go out and it will work.

I really would look at putting a stair gate up indoors tho. Hes insecure when your at home hence him following you and imho if you can improve on that then you will find leaving him alone will settle quicker :) Find a fun treat kong ect and place one side of stairgate with him and you the other but in veiw. Even if its just five mins while you wash up. little and often should do it :)

Thanks Allie! :flowers:

The bach flower thingeebob we've tried for him is a specific "Separation Anxiety" one (it's called that - will dig out bottle for brand name, ingredients etc).

Will get Baz on with getting another stairgate sorted - we need the other one for the stairs when we've fixed the gaping big hole it's left. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

There's a really good leaflet / short book by Patricia McConnell called I'll Be Home Soon! We've followed its basic principles and it now means that we can leave Riley for approx 45 minutes on her own - we're still at the stage of gradually increasing the time. When we first got her we couldn't even leave the room without her howling - even if one of us was still with her.

• 1 month later...

I would honestly think that if he's crated and there's a calm dog in the room with him, he'll eventually figure it out to calm down and go to sleep. SA activity generally only lasts for the first 15 minutes or so of the owner leaving in most cases.

I'd make sure that the crate truly is boxer-proof though - I left Jet in the car crate (he'd been happy in his house crate) and the little so-and-so broke out of it! :angry:

Edited by dlmckay