UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Any One On Here Have Experience Of A Dog With Urinary Crystals

simikins

My collie cross has struvite crystals and is on a special diet - isn't allowed to eat anything else. We adopted her as an oldie and tried to take her off the diet (with vets supervision) because she'd been on the food for ages and was bored but the crystals were forming again inside 3 months so she's on it for life. She doesn't mind too much and the diet keeps her symptom free.

Diane

I've looked through the dallie sites, what i'm really trying to find is a treat to give Seb, as we need to do some basic training, and obviosly if i have a treat to give him, life should get easier, but what can i give him :wacko:

Assumimg we talking about a dally

The Dalmatain Club of America have a list of the purine levels in foods

http://www.thedca.org/purines.html

You need to feed low purine as much as possible.

You could use any of the low purine list.

Cheese, boiled egg, cubes of bread.

My dally had a blockage last year due to uric acid crystals- peculiar to dallies. He is on a raw diet which I have adjusted to mainly chicken, turkey,tripe,cottage cheese, eggs, veggie mush.

He gets pieces of dry bread- which he loves- as a treat. I sometimes use tiny pieces of cooked cocktail sausages- courtesy of Tesco, small pieces of cheese.

Sardines and liver are definite NO.

It is very important to that he drinks plenty to flush out any small crystals that form. I add a cupful of water to Hovis' meals - like adding milk to ceareal, not mixed in, to make sure he drinks plenty.

There's a thread or two in the Health section on here about crystals (struvite I think) - I think the threads may have been for cats (I know the info I posted up was based on the experience of someone I know with a cat) but they might still be of use. The lady I knew had found different treatments, such as hydrangea tincture and a formula from the US, which really helped her cat :)

There's a thread or two in the Health section on here about crystals (struvite I think) - I think the threads may have been for cats (I know the info I posted up was based on the experience of someone I know with a cat) but they might still be of use. The lady I knew had found different treatments, such as hydrangea tincture and a formula from the US, which really helped her cat :)

I found that thread but it is about Struvite crystals, which are totally different from Urate crystals.

You also get oxalate crystals.

They are all different and require different treatment

Emma Pen on here emailed Burns about this problem and they provided a lengthy response which Emma posted on her forum, Ruffdogs.

I hope it's okay to post that

Thanks for that. I'll have a look

One of our old dogs had struvite and she would have starved herself to death rather than eat the dog food from the vet. She lived for the last 7 years of her life (to 16) very happily and healthily on tinned spaghetti and 3 teaspoons of meat or fish every day, with porridge for breakfast, with Abidec baby vitamins added.