UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What The Bloody Hell Is Going On?!

Allie No Dots

I dont believe this but Sophies second potential perfect home in one month has just pulled out ! What the hell is wrong with people! This year so far has been a complete disaster, we are unble to help any dogs anywhere atm. We are broke, have no space and even perfect dogs cant get a home! Ive spent all morning pondering the word "rescue" and its meaning cos it really doesnt feel like "rescue" is what we are doing right now. Killing ourseleves and filling our homes with dogs maybe. We havent even got something to tell those people who ring up needing places for their dogs cos their just ISNT anywhere. A dog was pts last week because its owner was going on holiday that weekend and couldnt be bothered to book boarding space. No room for the dog anywhere so hes dead. When SX set up it was meant to do something Im sure someone will say the "you do do something" but we dont. We just sit here and catch a tiny bit of overspill. Only we cant do that anymore cos lets face it, none of the dogs will get homes so we are shutdown too. I have no idea what the future holds for the ab pups, they certainly dont stand a hope in hell of getting suitable home right now . Ive been swinging between fighting talk and "we are all finished" for the last few weeks and right now "we are all finished" is winning. It doesnt sound much different to my usual moans i guess but this is now REALLY serious. Its not just a few times a week we have a panic, its several times a day and we are watching more die than are being saved. Thats not rescue.

What you do is rescue as even if you only rescue one, you have rescued a dog. Let's face it, even if all rescues in the UK at this moment in time would be empty, there still wouldn't be enough room for the abandond, cast aside, neglected, unwanted etc dogs that need a space.

I guess nearly every rescue especially smaller ones are at the same stage now and I don't even want to think about the summer holiday period.

We are full, we have currently got 24 dogs in our care, 3 are long termers are they are terminally ill and therefore we are not even going to try and rehome them. This is the most we ever had in the OC care, doesn't sound a lot but same as you we only have limited space.

You know what I would shout down the phone right now to you. I am always here if you need a rant :GroupHug:

Cindy

You cant help all the dogs, and lets face it it isnt your fault its the people who keep breeding or cant commit to anything so when they decide the dog has to go it has to go!

Go and look at your rehomed files, your thank you letters, your photos of dogs in new homes and consol yourself that for those dogs you were there, without you they would now most likely be at the bridge. The rescue isnt finished for the simple reason you still care, you still cry when you here of a dog losing its life even though this time your hands were tied.

Big hugs for you

I still believe that folks should be made to sit a test for dogs and kids.... stop alot of morons breeding kids and getting pets x I picked up a dog this morning off Freecycle...ho hum- they had just got fed up! I mean they do it for cars and qualifications and these are more worthy causes?

Edited by geniegembob

For A.L.L.I.E.

The Starfish Story

adapted from The Star Thrower

by Loren Eiseley

1907 - 1977

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "I made a difference to that one!"

Few stories have gained internet popularity the way "The Star Thrower" has. Most often it's sighted as "author unknown," but it is actually a classic from 1979 written by Loren Eiseley, who has been hailed as a modern day Henry David Thoreau.

Loren Eiseley was both a scientist and a poet, and to this day his writing is the subject of much discussion and inspiration. In this story he is the "wise man" touched by the innocence and determination of another soul.

"The Star Thrower" is a classic story of the power within each one of us to make a difference in the lives of others. And though it has appeared in many forms (sometimes it's a native american man who is throwing the starfish into the sea, sometimes it's a grandfather, or a young girl or boy) it is none the less a powerful reminder that we should be here for each other, and to seek to help, even in small ways, whenever we can.

In such turbulent times as these, when we may feel alone and small and unable to make any lasting changes we may find ourselves asking "What can I do that will make a difference?" or "What can one small person like me do?"

In reality we don't have to be rich, talented or even particularly intelligent to make a difference in the life of another. We just need to remember that we ARE here for a purpose, and that making small changes in the world eventually add up to something bigger in the life of another.

When we become throwers of the stars, we too, have the power to change the world

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Edited by kathy40uk

I can more than relate to your situation, I haven't rehomed a Bull Breed in yonks and got a perfect Staffie pup back because of neighbours/family/friends blabla.

It is bad at the moment but what can we do? We sit it out I'd say. Ignorance and a *little knowledge* are a dangerous thing but we are stronger than that because we know BETTER.

Educating isn't easy but we'll get there. There is ALWAYS hope, look at Old Bear, he didn't have snowballs chance in hell at the pound for re-homing. he is now sound asleep with a full belly and canine geriatric company.

I've had more than one occassion on which I felt I needed to throw the towel but does one really EVER retire from Rescue unless it is for old age/bad health? This will pass, Allie, believe me, I've been there not too long ago although for different reasons.

{{{{{{{{big fat hug to you from the weird German woman}}}}}}}}

Sarah