UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Am I Fat?

tegk68

Helen he is gorgeous :wub:

If you feel he needs to lose some weight one of the easier things to do to start with is take into consideration how many treats you are giving him throughout the day and take them away from his meals , and cutting to low protein treats helps a lot .

When i first took Storm on as a foster he was very overweight , to the point he used to just amble along for a short walk then lie down and refuse to move :( I had never had to do a doggy diet and i was lost to start with and the one thing i did not take into consideration was the amount of training treats i was giving him , once i sussed that i got on a lot better with getting the weight of him , I reduced both his meals as well and he managed to lose just under 15KG's .

Storm has to be the greediest dog i have ever met and would quite happily eat all day if he was allowed to , and the woe is me expressions were horrible i felt really mean , when i knew he wanted more to eat but i kept it in my head that i was doing it for his own good , now with the weight off he is a lot fitter and a lot faster and can keep up with Akira , the first time i saw him run i cried buckets and all his miserable faces were well worth the effort i put in :biggrin:

Vegtables are a good way of bulking ut doggy dinners if they can tolerate them , Storm got the runs with just about everything so i had to be really careful with anything i gave him and any changes had to be introduced really slowly .

Good Luck and i hope you manage to get Bert to a weight you are comfortable with :flowers:

Fiona xx

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

h'oly feck. Bert is progressing nicely to Moog's weight then, at 41kg

Lily and Rosie are about 23kg each at the moment but they are very titchy labs. If Lily gets a bit chubbier I just adjust the amount of dried food that she has as her legs won't take any extra exercise, you can see the difference pretty quickly.

Best of luck with your diet Bert :wub:

Saffy was 36kg last time I took her to the vet for her booster. :( She has been on a diet since and has lost about a kilo I think.

She definately has a waistline now but will never be slim like some labs I see. I find myself comparing the size and build of every one that I pass and make myself feel bad. But then they are not all built the same, just like us. Some tend to be taller and slimmer, and like Saffy, some are shorter and stockier. When I can I scatter her food in the garden so that she doesnt wolf it down in 2seconds. That way I dont see how little she has in her bowl and she takes longer to eat it I dont feel guilty feeding her less. :) I also, sometimes take her breakfast out on walks for lead training. When we get back she looks at her bowl for her brekkie, but I just throw a few pieces of kibble in so she thinks thats her brekkie! :rolleyes: I've been and bought some oats and rice this week so that I can do her a 'merle diet' :biggrin:

no no no

yew got that fat gean

yew no?

i got that tew.

i got a bit of lab in me, makes yew huge.

i try running round wiv my buddy here, but he's a bit owld and gives up..hehehe

but no, yew really aint fat.

i fink its the camera, yew got that wide abgle lens on aint yew?

we ALL look fat in that.

mwah x

If you feel he needs to lose some weight one of the easier things to do to start with is take into consideration how many treats you are giving him throughout the day and take them away from his meals , and cutting to low protein treats helps a lot .

Vegtables are a good way of bulking ut doggy dinners if they can tolerate them , Storm got the runs with just about everything so i had to be really careful with anything i gave him and any changes had to be introduced really slowly .

I certainly haven't helped him with the number of treats I have librally passed out in the past :blush:. I have given him no treats today, except for one raw carrot. I figured that would be OK

I find myself comparing the size and build of every one that I pass and make myself feel bad. But then they are not all built the same, just like us. Some tend to be taller and slimmer, and like Saffy, some are shorter and stockier.

That's exactly what I do now! and I think there is some truth in that too. I do like your food scatter approach :flowers:

This might be useful to you :flowers:

http://www.ukfssartdogteams.org.uk/weight_check.htm

Lindsay

x

Very. Thank you. Off to go try that out in a mo :flowers:

no no no

yew got that fat gean

yew no?

i got that tew.

i got a bit of lab in me, makes yew huge.

i try running round wiv my buddy here, but he's a bit owld and gives up..hehehe

but no, yew really aint fat.

i fink its the camera, yew got that wide abgle lens on aint yew?

we ALL look fat in that.

mwah x

That made me laugh lots. Bless :wub:

THANK YOU ALL :flowers: . You have given me loads of great ideas and it is much appreciated. Today saw the start of a new slimmer Bert :biggrin: . We had biccies and last nights veg for breakfast and just the one carrot as a treat today. Way less than normal. He doesn't seem to mind too much at all! I am looking into the Merle Diet plan too.

Yours

Helen and Bert (a member of Em's Doggy Fat Camp :laugh: )

xxx

remind me again .the merle diet?

is that the one with the bran?

coz libz HATES veggies.

ta

It's on the link I gave earlier in the thread and it does involve veggies, but I puree mine and mix in with the fish/rice/oats so they can't really taste it (especially when I've mixed the garlic in) :flowers:

Well done Bert :D (and you Helen, its quite hard at first cos you feel mean!)....

Carrots are great snacks and although tyhey are sugary which is why dogs will eat them, if you feed them whole he wont really digest much of that sugar at all as his teefs and digestion are all wrong for breaking down big chunks of carrot.

Apple is good too :)

What i do and this is probably disgusting...... if i have something thats REALLY tasty and dogs want, say marmite on toast.... ill dip my finger on the buttery marmitey bit, and they can lick htat off my finger. Its the TASTE they really want, if i actually give them the toast theyd swallow it nearly whole and not get any more taste out of it than a lick off my finger.....

Em

Bert, I think you are very gorgeous :wub:

If there's a doggy fat camp Musky would like to join please :D He's been (very slowly) losing weight since we got him, but the last couple of kilos are refusing to budge. It's even harder because my other oldie, Molly, struggles to keep weight on so I'm tryingto feed her up and diet poor old Musky at the same time :rolleyes:

I give him tiny bits of dried liver so he doesn't miss out when the other dogs get treats - practically no fat and he loves it

(but he did get a pigs ear today because he's such a good boy)

. :wub: