UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Urgent Help Please - Found A Dog

smirnoff

My friends who live in the city centre area have just phoned me for help and I don't know what to advise - I'm sure someone here will know what to do.

They found a staffy outside their house at around 9 this morning. They've taken him into their garden to keep him safe. He's brown and white and obviously very well cared for. He's wearing a collar but is not chipped. He's taken food from their hand very gently - didn't snatch at it so he's not starving. He's very friendly - children have been past and he didn't bother about them and the cat's been in the garden with him and although the cat got hysterical the dog didn't bother at all.

My friend took him to the police station who said that, if they hand him in they'll say he's a dangerous dog and put him to sleep straight away. Then they tried the RSPCA who have no space for him and again said that he'd be put to sleep. I said that I thought the dog wardens had to keep him for 7 days so that the owner could claim him but they've tried that - the council dog wardens don't work weekends. I thought they could only keep him with the knowledge and agreement of the dog warden but that's not possible till Monday. Local radio can't put out adverts and an advert in the paper won't go in until Tuesday.

My friends don't want to hand him in to have him destroyed because he's a really nice dog but they can't keep him because they have unneutered bitches (not in season just now but better safe than sorry). I can't take him because I'm full to bursting at the moment with my lot and a friend's 3 who are here for the weekend. They have worked out a way to keep him overnight but don't think it will be possible to keep him longer.

I've suggested posters around the area - especially the local park as he may not have come far. And doglost. But after that I'm stuck. I'm appalled that the Police can tell people that they'd just consider him a dangerous breed without taking any vets advice. I know everyone's having trouble with rehoming bull breeds but I really feel that this fella is a pet who has got out - and even if he hasn't surely he has a chance being so friendly and good with kids and cats.

Has anyone got any ideas of what we do with this guy?

Diane

Have the police even taken your friends details so they can be put in touch with the owner if an owner gets in touch? Most people will phone their local police station if they are looking for a lost dog.

If the dog is a staffie, he is a perfectly legal breed and the police have no right to destroy him - and I doubt very much anyone at the police station is qualified to judge his breed/type anyway :rolleyes: Great attitude.

Is there anyway your friends can hold onto him for a day or so, maybe until the dog warden is contactable on Monday? Legally a stray dog does have to be kept for 7 days if taken in by the dog warden, or for about 28 days (I believe) if the dog is held by the finder (though they do still need to notify the dog warden).

I can't find details of any rescues in Derby other than the RSPCA and many rescues can't/won't take in strays anyway.

If you can get some photos then doglost can put him up there - there are a number of doglost reps on here who will help :flowers:

Sorry, not being much help and don't know what to suggest but didn't want to ignore your post. I hope he has an owner out looking for him.

Thanks Ange. Your thinking on keeping him is the same as mine. I am sure they have to keep him for 7 days unless he's a danger but my friend was told that he's a dangerous breed - absolute rubbish - he's a staffy not a pitbull. And Police can't be the ones to establish the breed of a dog. I'm furious about it. It's like they want my friends to just let him wander and maybe get run over. I suppose they just want a nice quiet weekend. But I also suspect that they saw the person on the desk who is not likely to be a police officer and is much more likely to fob people off (in my experience).

My friends have left their details with the RSPCA and the police. I'm not sure about keeping him all weekend - their own dogs are not being allowed in the garden at the moment which isn't fair on them and my friend's partner is going to sleep downstairs tonight with the "visitor" and my friend will have their dogs upstairs with her. But my visitors go home tomorrow so perhaps I could have him for a day or two until we can contact the dog warden. But then I don't live in Derby so I may just be complicating the issue.

I hate this - I feel so powerless. I've often picked up strays but I've always managed to find the (very relieved) owners before having to make it official with wardens and things.

Any advice from anyone would be very gratefully received.

Diane

I don't know anything about it beyond that it's there but a quick net search shows there's a rescue at Chellaston - not too far from Derby? http://www.safehandsrescue.co.uk/

Again I don't know anything about them but this also came up http://pet-rescue.org.uk/ as offering foster homes nationally

Other than that how about contacting local vets with photos in case someone recognises him or maybe they occasionally take in dogs (I know odd ones round here do)

I'm delighted to say that this little fella has gone home. My friend printed off photos of him and put them around the area and the owner of the corner shop recognised him.

He was returned to a very relieved owner (who hadn't missed him until he came home from work this evening) and my friends have suggested that he gets the dog chipped (and also watches to see how he's getting out because he's been back twice so far!!! My friend was obviously far too nice to him. :laugh: )

Anyway - a happy ending. Thanks everyone.

Diane

I'm delighted to say that this little fella has gone home. My friend printed off photos of him and put them around the area and the owner of the corner shop recognised him.

He was returned to a very relieved owner (who hadn't missed him until he came home from work this evening) and my friends have suggested that he gets the dog chipped (and also watches to see how he's getting out because he's been back twice so far!!! My friend was obviously far too nice to him. :laugh: )

Anyway - a happy ending. Thanks everyone.

Diane

Excellent result - well done to all concerned

Nice idea to complain but I don't think either my friend or I have the heart to see it through. We've both had a tough time recently and both of us would love a quiet life for a bit (not that it's likely to happen, but we can dream).

Diane