UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Do People Treat Their Pets So Wrong?

yena

We were down at the caravan this week-end and our friends that have a staffie were giving him a drink of water in a very small dish. I've just brought a new stand which came with dishes so I offered to give them one of my old large dishes, so he could have a bigger dish rather than him drink from such a small one. I just couldn't believe their answer 'No, it's alright, if he has a bigger dish he'll only wee more' Talk about been gob-smacked, so poor Austin can only have a small drink of water so he doesn't wee alot. Don't these people see now wrong it is to treat their animals so badly :angry: don't they see they have rights too :( One things for certain I'll be taking the dish this week-end and of course I'll have some polite words to say about looking after your dogs welfare :) :)

I know,it makes you wonder why some people bother as pets seem to be such an inconvenience to them don't they :angry:

I have people I know that shut their dogs out in the garden and boot their cat outside all night :( What's the point of having them? They should be part of the family.Mine eat better,sleep better and generally get more pampered that I do :laugh:

It's something that annoys and perplexes me too :mad: :(

I have a neighbour who has 3 dogs and 3 cats and I don't honestly know why. She never gives them the slightest consideration, denies them visits to the vet on the premise that she is an OAP and can't afford it yet nearly every day the postie is delivering something she has bought off eBay or elsewhere on the net. They get walked on average once a fortnight. She is bone bloody idle and I can honestly say I have never met a more selfish and self absorbed person EVER!

Yet another neighbour got a tiny Pom pup last year despite the fact that she works 5 days a week from noon till 8.00 in the evening and the wee thing has been left alone during those hours since she arrived. She rarely gets a walk and spends all day yapping in the backyard. Said neighbour is planning on breeding her this year because she can get £500 per pup :( :mecry:

These neighbours don't see that they are doing anything wrong and look on me as some crazed animal rights loon I think.

Marion

Denying access to vet care should be of interest to the RSPCA, as should a dog left alone all day and not walked.

I guess for some people, their pets just aren't precious to them, they just must not relish the deep satisfaction you get from knowing your animals are well cared for.

The difference between being an owner or a lover of animals I suppose :unsure:

These neighbours don't see that they are doing anything wrong and look on me as some crazed animal rights loon I think.

I'd much rather be considered the latter :flowers:

There's a gorgeous Springer Spaniel near me who is NEVER let off lead,always walked on a flexi.At first I thought it may be because of behaviour but he's desperate for a game with my two (well Duncan,Daisy doesn't do games).So asked his owner why he was always on lead - expecting to hear he had awful recall,an injury perhaps - but no the reason this fit young dog is always kept on lead is so he won't get dirty :angry:

I have to say, my OH and housemate are occasionally lined up for an ass kicking.....

Because they see one of the dogs needing a wee and then dont do anything (and i dont mean im sat on my ass watching, like if im in the bath or on the phone., or ive come home, theyve been in with the dogs and all four are desperate for a wee)....

I line em up and ask them how THEY would feel if they had to be taken to the toilet every single time for the entire duration fo their lives........ how would it be if THEY were desperate and were told 'no, you have to wait i cant be bothered right now'........

They generally get it but men being men, it needs a few repetitions.

Lady next door to me wont walk her dogs as then theyd get dirty..... why that would bother her i do not know as both are kept in her outshed and never allowed into the actual house.

Grr.

Someone I work with (and actually thought was quiet a nice girl and sensible) asked if she could join my dog training class...I said I'm sure she could and gave her the number. She later on asked if I had a spare lead she could borrow...of course I said, then asked if she had a lead eating dog too (Sidney is a manic lead chewer!!) ...no, they had never had a lead, because the dog gets his excercise playing ball infront of the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They've had this dog 4 years...and he's never been for a walk!!!!!!!! :mellow: :(

The only saving grace, is in the last 2 weeks she's joined me for beach runs with the Rabble and said how much fun it is and how much her dog has enjoyed himself!! So at least he's now starting to get out.

They would want my dogs then!!! I am always filling up their large water bowls. :rolleyes: I let them out for a wee when they ask.

Don't know if it is the same, but could depriving a dog of enough water bring on cistitis?

I dont know about cistitis but water, like in humans, is necessary to regulate the bodily functions. That includes liver, kidney functions. Skin, hair etc etc. Revel is incontinent and his previous family limited his water to stop him weeing so much which only actually goes to aid kidney failure not stop the weeing. The first week he was with me he drank as if he had never seen water!

I used to see a chap with the most gorgeous whippet, she was desperate to run but he wouldn't let her off her lead until she was 'old and sensible'!! Never heard such rubbish.

I used to have a whippet when I was a kid, and believe me, it doesn't matter how old he was, he was like a bullet, and he was like that till he was about 14yrs old......

I used to see a chap with the most gorgeous whippet, she was desperate to run but he wouldn't let her off her lead until she was 'old and sensible'!! Never heard such rubbish.

I used to have a whippet when I was a kid, and believe me, it doesn't matter how old he was, he was like a bullet, and he was like that till he was about 14yrs old......

Someone I work with (and actually thought was quiet a nice girl and sensible) asked if she could join my dog training class...I said I'm sure she could and gave her the number. She later on asked if I had a spare lead she could borrow...of course I said, then asked if she had a lead eating dog too (Sidney is a manic lead chewer!!) ...no, they had never had a lead, because the dog gets his excercise playing ball infront of the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They've had this dog 4 years...and he's never been for a walk!!!!!!!! :mellow: :(

The only saving grace, is in the last 2 weeks she's joined me for beach runs with the Rabble and said how much fun it is and how much her dog has enjoyed himself!! So at least he's now starting to get out.

I don't understand what the fun is in having a dog if it can't be taken for a walk (of course, it's different if they are injured or too old)? When we first got Jesse, I was desperate for time to pass until I could start taking him out for walks... even now, he is 15 weeks old, I can't wait until he is old enough to take him for long proper walk in the parks and woods... Nothing better than to see the dogs run and enjoy themselves!

I find it unbelievable that some owners limit water so their dogs don't wee as much. :ohmy: why?? What does it matter how much they wee? Our garden is a mass of brown patches, and I used to be so proud of my garden, but some things aren't that important.

Caleb would go crazy if he didn't have a good run, he gets excited and hyper and likes to run up to dogs and people which can ber embarassing sometimes, but he is getting better and always seems to respect dogs on leads. The other day we were walking in an area used mostly by dog walkers, Caleb was off lead having a wonderful time, this man was walking there and Caleb went up to him, he didn't bound, jump up or even make contact, but the guy said, aggressively "shouldn't that dog be on a lead?" I assured him he wouldn't hurt him and Caleb came away when we called him. However, this guy wasn't happy and went on about it. I'm afraid I called him a "miserable bugger" within earshot. Sorry, I've diverted, but some people make me so cross. :angry: