UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Burns Or Arden Grange.....

Tempest

Ollie and Jess are both fed on Arden Grange and it's been absolutely fab for Ollie but I'm not so sure for Jess :unsure: She seems to be having continual probs with her anal glands so I've been thinking of switching them over to Burns and am just wondering that, given the choice, which peeps on here prefer :biggrin:

I've also noticed that the protein in the AG is 25% and in Burns its 18% which seems quite a massive difference to me :unsure:

I have never tried Arden Grange.

Elsa was on Burns with SarahH her foster Mum so I just kept her on that.

Just after CB came we tried something else. The dogs seemed to really like it so I kept them on it and CB had bowel problems, he had all the tests but nothing amiss was found.

I put them both back on Burns and CB's problems have disappeared and both dogs are thriving, so I would heartilly reccommend Burns.

Order online and it it soooooo much cheaper and delivery is super fast too.

Mine are on Burns, and seem to be doing quite well on it. Have just swapped them from fish and rice, to the high energy lamb one for the beginning of the season, so I'll have to see how they go on with that! Never fed Arden Grange, so again I can't comment on it :flowers:

Out of those two I would prefer Burns because they don't use battery farmed chicken (or anything else) in their foods. Don't know much about Arden Grange though :flowers:

I looked into this a few years ago as I was thinking of moving to Burns because I read they didn't use battery farmed chicken. I got a bit confused though because I was told (not by Burns, by another company), I think, that it is broiler chickens that are used for pet food (in general) rather than battery farmed chickens and these birds have a shoddy life too. So I became unconvinced by the "we don't use battery hens for our food" claim. I seem to remember being told battery hens don't actually have much meat on them which is why broiler birds are used for pet food.

I know Burns have an organic food, which is presumably neither battery or broiler, but I didn't think the same was the case for the non organic chicken one, just that it was non battery. I think I might email and ask, not cos I want to feed Burns, but I'm curious now.

Disclaimer: don't quote me, I might be wrong :wacko:

Gdog used to have problems with his anal glands but the problems cleared up after I put him on Burns, although I had actually switched his food due to his allergy. I know Burgess Superpoo has been mentioned but I found my lot put loads of weight on with it :unsure: Haven't fed them AG so can't realy comment :rolleyes:

off topic question, what is broiler chickens? 25% protein is a bit much I think.

They're chickens bred and slaughtered for their meat rather than for their eggs, which is why I'm not convinced by the "ethics" of companies saying they don't use battery hens for meat.

There's some info on the veg society site - *warning* doesn't make for particularly pleasant reading* - link.

It's my understanding that meat based pet foods will tend to use meat from broiler chickens rather than battery hens, because broilers are bred for their meat and have more meat on them than battery hens. It would be great to find out that Burns and other companies aren't using broilers either, but I'm not sure what they are using, if they're not :unsure:

:sad02: ignorance was better for me.

It's not nice, is it. Mine eat meat based pet food and it's the one big ethical dilemma of dog ownership for me.

Sorry Jules, didn't mean to hjijack your thread :flowers: I've fed both AG and Burns in the past and think both are good quality dried foods, but the last time we tried Burns, the dogs

all farted a lot

and we switched back to Naturediet completely.