UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog-grooming Question

scotslass

I've booked Bonnie in to be groomed tonight, for the first time ever, and I am not sure what to ask for. The hair on her ears and tummy - and the feathering on her legs - is so long that she gets stuff caught in it all the time. If she has her nose to the ground, which she usually does, her ears get caught in everything. She rolls in muck endlessly, so I have to bathe her a lot as it is. Combing out is a painful business for her; for the first two years of her life she wasn't really taken for walks (previous owner) so she never got used to being groomed. I often have to cut mats out of her coat, and although I have tried to trim her ears myself, I can never get them the same length. :mecry:

While I like the look of long coats, I want her to be able to enjoy running around, and her comfort is my priority. Should I ask for her coat to be clipped, and just have her ears and tail a bit longer? This woman sounds sensible and will probably not need my input, but I wondered what I should say if she asks what I want.

Wibbly Liz. :unsure:

aww my grandparents had KCCS's. they never got clipped but i think my grandma did trim their ears as they were forever getting dangled in stuff!! my manager at work as a working springer spaniel thats forever getting muddy so she gets her belly clipped i think.

Guest peggysmum

hello scotslass if you're having trouble grooming then to start id clipp her right out you could have her ears thinned to leave some feathers and her tail also,then you could perhaps start again but just leaving it short with a little feathery skirit.i have exactly the same trouble with my cocker i love her to have feathers but it does get messy.in the summer i will have it shortened and thinned because of the heat but i hate the look though,you have to think of what will make you're dog feel good.if you do have her clipped short today put on a coat after she will feel the difference,when i did a grooming course last march i felt so sorry for the dogs that came in with long coats and left with a short back and sides,the poor things were frozen. :unsure: if your groomer is anything like mine she'll know what to do though but its nice to have an imput be prepared for an odd look though :biggrin: swallow

we clip a lot of cavs right down and yes it does make the grooming and cleaning of the dog a lot easier for both of you. I always ask the owners if their cav is into everything and gets soaked and brings home half a field and are they sure they want it all coming off because once a cavs coat is clipped it will often grow back thicker or tuftier. To be honest, those who let their dogs behave like dogs and let them get wet and muddy and soaked its definately easier to live with, but if you dont want to keep doing it hereafter then dont go for the clippers.

at the end of a walk, a clipped dog is much easier to dry off and clean up. You could just get all her feathering and ears trimmed right down, or go for a combination of the 2, a spaniel cut where she will keep short feathers and bit on her chest and trimmed back ears and have the body clipped.

it really is dependant on how much you want her coat to remain smooth and silky because after a clip it might not grow the same again.

Guest peggysmum

oh scotslass just seen her picture (added after i first looked) she is a cutie,but those ears :wacko: do get them shortened and thinned also watch the insides i keep my girls inside clipped completly short,you've got to watch for ear infections and the more they dangle in mud and food like that and with no air getting in you could end up with ear trouble and believe me you dont want that :unsure: peggysmum again (think i used the wrong name before)

hello scotslass if you're having trouble grooming then to start id clipp her right out you could have her ears thinned to leave some feathers and her tail also,then you could perhaps start again but just leaving it short with a little feathery skirit.i have exactly the same trouble with my cocker i love her to have feathers but it does get messy.in the summer i will have it shortened and thinned because of the heat but i hate the look though,you have to think of what will make you're dog feel good.if you do have her clipped short today put on a coat after she will feel the difference,when i did a grooming course last march i felt so sorry for the dogs that came in with long coats and left with a short back and sides,the poor things were frozen. :unsure: if your groomer is anything like mine she'll know what to do though but its nice to have an imput be prepared for an odd look though :biggrin: swallow

Yes, I have a jumper ready for her. I saw a cavalier last summer which had been completely clipped - she looked like a puppy, and she was cool in that hot weather, although the owner said they got some funny looks. :rolleyes:

we clip a lot of cavs right down and yes it does make the grooming and cleaning of the dog a lot easier for both of you. I always ask the owners if their cav is into everything and gets soaked and brings home half a field and are they sure they want it all coming off because once a cavs coat is clipped it will often grow back thicker or tuftier. To be honest, those who let their dogs behave like dogs and let them get wet and muddy and soaked its definately easier to live with, but if you dont want to keep doing it hereafter then dont go for the clippers.

at the end of a walk, a clipped dog is much easier to dry off and clean up. You could just get all her feathering and ears trimmed right down, or go for a combination of the 2, a spaniel cut where she will keep short feathers and bit on her chest and trimmed back ears and have the body clipped.

it really is dependant on how much you want her coat to remain smooth and silky because after a clip it might not grow the same again.

Thank you. :flowers: I don't feel so odd now I know other people ask for the same thing. Her coat isn't as silky anyway since she was spayed but as I say, her comfort is the main issue.

oh scotslass just seen her picture (added after i first looked) she is a cutie,but those ears :wacko: do get them shortened and thinned also watch the insides i keep my girls inside clipped completly short,you've got to watch for ear infections and the more they dangle in mud and food like that and with no air getting in you could end up with ear trouble and believe me you dont want that :unsure: peggysmum again (think i used the wrong name before)

Oh dear. :blush02: Will the groomer tell me off? I think I'll just book her in for regular clips and keep her safe. Thank you. :flowers:

Liz.

As Peggysmum said get the inside of the ears clipped as short as possible, that in itself helps enormously with the grooming . Its hard to tell from the pic if shes got a lot of hair on her belly going towards her chest, if she has you could get her clipped there leaving a small amount of hair each side so it looks like her skirts still there. Just get them to clip to inbetween her front legs and trim the chest hair with scissors. Also inside back legs can be clipped and feathers scissored, this makes it look like shes got a full coat but theres a lot less grooming :flowers:

As Peggysmum said get the inside of the ears clipped as short as possible, that in itself helps enormously with the grooming . Its hard to tell from the pic if shes got a lot of hair on her belly going towards her chest, if she has you could get her clipped there leaving a small amount of hair each side so it looks like her skirts still there. Just get them to clip to inbetween her front legs and trim the chest hair with scissors. Also inside back legs can be clipped and feathers scissored, this makes it look like shes got a full coat but theres a lot less grooming :flowers:

I see what you mean. Poor dog; I'm feeling guilty now. I'm dreading leaving here there but she is going to feel so much better. She does have quite a lot of long hair on her belly but on her chest it's very fine, so I guess if it's scissored there, it won't look too bald.

Thank you all so much. :flowers:

Liz.

Boysie (cocker) has his feathers cut quite short, as he likes to get all mucky too, and it wasn't nice for him or us trying to groom him.

Smudge still has quite longish feathers, but she's more of a lay-dee :biggrin: However, her ears always get like Bonnie's :wub: (as she's lower to the ground), so now she wears a homemade snood to keep them clean. She'll wear a lightweight one in the summer to prevent grass seeds too. She gets a lot of comments about her purple fleece (homemade) snood :laughingsmiley:

They now both wear fleece jumpers when we go out and it's mucky / wet / snow etc. They cover the front legs and belly, and are the best thing we have ever got for them - we get home and under the jumpers they are clean and warm - only the back legs need wiping down. It's made grooming them so much easier.

Edited by Maria

She's so pretty Liz, whatever they do can't ruin her looks! I know my mother used to clip her pekes very short in the summer to keep them cool. Really whatever is most convenient for you to manage without her looking as if she's been scalped will be fine, hair eared dogs do need some removed and its less nerve jangling for a professional to do it if your not used to it.

They now both wear fleece jumpers when we go out and it's mucky / wet / snow etc. They cover the front legs and belly, and are the best thing we have ever got for them - we get home and under the jumpers they are clean and warm - only the back legs need wiping down. It's made grooming them so much easier.

Sounds like a good idea. I've just realised I've left her cosy coat in Scotland and will need to dash out and get her something while we're waiting to collect her - she's going tonight at 6. I'll only manage Pets at Home - hope they have a fleecy one.

She's so pretty Liz, whatever they do can't ruin her looks! I know my mother used to clip her pekes very short in the summer to keep them cool. Really whatever is most convenient for you to manage without her looking as if she's been scalped will be fine, hair eared dogs do need some removed and its less nerve jangling for a professional to do it if your not used to it.

I used to groom my cocker but she wasn't so difficult. I think I may be turning into an over-anxious mummy. :laugh:

Liz.

Eek - sorry id NEVER clip off.

As Helly says, it makes the coat go fluffy and tufty and that means it matts more easily and traps muck more as well.

Wont your groomer trim and strip? That way you can thin out th ecoat, trim it shorter with scissors but avoid the damage clipping does to the coat - its a little more work but the bonus is it doesnt require expensive clippers so you can learn to do it yourself.

You also then let the dog keep his/her ability to regulate its own temperature - a clipped coat wont do that any more where a thinned one will.