UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Target Training

Brammie

I used target training to get my three interested in the clicker as its such a simple command.

So once you have your dog tuned into the clicker you are ready to start.

You can use anything as a target - i started with a bit of bamboo with a white mark painted on the tip and a clicker attached to the bottom, its less fiddly that way ;)

Rub a bit of something very tasty on the white mark, dogs are curious beasts and stick their noses into everything so as soon as your dogs nose touches the white mark C/T - if you are slow and he licks the mark thats what you will have reinforced. Ive found with my three that they can sometimes "forget" a command about 6 times after repeating it so if your dog sits back and looks at you with a "What the hell do you want" expression dont panic, put the stuff away and try again later.

Once you have your dog touching the target everytime you can add a command word, as your dog touches the target say the word (touch is always good lol) and then C/T repeat, repeat, repeat.

Dont forget to make sessions fun and SHORT, if you or the dog arent in the mood try again a different day.

If anyone else has a better way or tips feel free to add here :)

Tip: If you find your dog is tending to bite the end of the stick (or your hand if you start with hand targetting), put it up against a wall. They won't be able to get their mouth round it, and you can reinforce that it is touch not chew. Alternatley, click just before they touch the target for a few times, and they should pick up on the idea that it is moving to the target, not biting it that gets the click.

If your dog has a poor recall, you can also teach the dog to touch your hand, then when you are out on a walk you give the command touch and your dog comes running to touch your hand, Ruf loves this and you can almost see him smiling as he's running towards you, not me he's pleased to see though that'll be the liver cake :lol:

• 1 month later...

i have a question

where can i get a really really nice target stick with one of those coloured blobby things on - im terrible - i have a lovelly short garden cane i have prepared - painted the end white and even made a ribbon handle BUT i always want a nice fancy one !!!

Do you think it is OK to use 'touch' as a generic touch command meaning 'bop that with your nose' or would it be better to name each item to be touched?

I ask because Mollydog already knows how to 'touch' her bell-ball and make it ring - I started making her 'touch' a bamboo stick as well today, but she seems a bit confused (not that she doesn't always when starting something new!).

Do you think she'd find it easier if I used another word for 'touch stick'?

I have taught her names for other specific objects, like 'beanbag'.

Guest rayemond

I find this command really useful as I have a large dog, and if he's in someone's way I put my hand where I want him to go and get him to touch it (if I try to shove/ drag/ tempt him where I want him he just resists). Useful when someone wants to get past him on buses, trains, cycle tracks and pavements.

You can train cats to follow a target too as described in Clicker training for cats by karen pryor.

My cat picked it up really quickly, you dont need to put something smelly on the end as cats naturally sniff things. It comes in handy if you want to teach your cat to leash walk of to jump up onto or off surfaces.

Alison :)