UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Where Did Your Hounds Come From?

Nettie

my darling jaffa came from cheltenham animal shelter :wub:

this is how she looked when i got her.

scan0002.jpg

this was her last summer.she sadly went to the bridge at christmas :mecry: :mecry: thank you cheltenham animal shelter for giving me my soul dog :wub:

PI6DA81.jpg

Edited by yogibear

My first three all came from Sheya

Ash came first in 2003 - found wandering the streets as a tiny puppy and then came to us from a foster home at 5 months. This is her last summer

asunsetindaisies.jpg

Then Ellie who had been in several homes then dumped in the pound at Christmas 2004

The night she arrived, lying with Bertie (foster)

bertieellie.jpg

And last summer

erunninginmeadow.jpg

And then Lucy in 2005 - left to stray by her owner once she was too old to race/hunt for him.

Before

DSCF3258.jpg

And enjoying the snow this week

Feb115000113.jpg

Pippa was from Limerick Animal Welfare (was Flicka) - she was brought over in October last year but when her home didn't work out due to her abject terror of strangers (particularly men and youths) we offered to foster her

Before

FlickaatLAW.jpg

And at the weekend enjoying a family day out in the snow

February104000173.jpg

And running with Ash and Ellie

Jan223000544.jpg

My Lucy is a bit of a long story.

I had been looking in rescues for about 18 months for a dog but, non of them felt right. Anyway, one day on my lunch break one of the blokes from the haulage yard came and asked me if I was still after a dog cos they'd found one in the yard. I said I'd come and look. He then said "but it's head is all bashed in" I asked why they had not shot it if it was that bad. It was bad. She looked like a decomposed, dead dog. Half her head was litterally chopped off and you could see the skull. Gross is not the word for it. The RSPCA turned up and carted her off and I went to the vet every day after work. She was in the vets for a month. She then went to kennels and was boarded for another 2 months until she was well enough to be re-homed. I went and walked her every weekend without fail, rain or shine for hours round the field. (Believe it or not she was in the pen next to JACKYSIANS Tizzy and we picked them up one day apart) We had not met at this point but, I remember seeing Tiz and commenting on how unusual she was.

Where was I? Oh yes. The minute I set eyes on Lucy I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach and just knew she was the one.

I was home checked by 2 women who did their level best to put me off having her but, I was determined.

I collected her on the Friday and for the next 2 years she drove me mad as she wanted to kill everything that moved and dragged me everywhere. Then we kind of got it right with the help of The Dog Listner book and a little old man with 2 labradors we met in the forest.

She is the total love of my life and I adore her more than anything in the world. We go everywhere together even the pub where she is now a regular.

Lucy, my old junk yard dog who is now slowing down and showing her age. She costs me a fortune in vet fees as her shoulder joints are knackered with artheritis. I've bought a ramp for the car now. All my money goes on her but, I don't care. I LOVE HER.

Lucy the one eyed wonder. There'll never be another one.

Edited by one.eyed.dog

i found Michael coming home from a folk music festival-he ran out in front of me-i will never know how i stopped the car-i remember the tent/sleeping bags etc landing in the front! i managed to catch him-a filthy, stinking, bleeding brownish dog.....i knew as he got in the car that he was staying.....

he had been very badly beaten, was starved & terrified of men-he would lay on the floor & wet himself...

I was given some excellent advice from Pip at EGLR. i will be forever gateful to her-and EGLR

i was booked to go away that winter-and was recommended white lodge -so i made the trip: Kent to Leicestershire-as i wasnt leaving him anywhere that didnt know hounds! and a personal recommendation swung it-and cried like a kid when i left him there-but it made me realise he needed a canine companion.

Got in touch with the local RGT-went in & said i want an older bitch...out came a totally blank dead eyed hound-she did absolutely nothing. noone wanted her as she was "old & ugly" i just thought she looked like a badly painted dalmatian!!

Michael & her totally ignored each other-so i said-ill take her-privately thinking-oh bloody hell.the kennel maid cried....

the Moo came home-and within weeks, an independent, food obsessed duvet hugger erupted from the shell of a greyhound. it is never too late for a late bloom.

fee

Daisy and Ben came from Redgate Farm Animal Sanctary in Markfield, Leics. Both gone now, but never, ever forgotten. Wonderful dogs.

Picture026.jpg

Caleb came from Houndsavers

barge3.jpg

.... and current foster, Rudy from White Lodge!

rudy_4.jpg

Edited by Brenda

Ohh Lordy

Jiffy and Wilf from Battersea

Cindy Pooch my nans next door neighbour before the RSPCA came.

Rory liberated from a shed where he had lived for 2 years

Spot from Last chance

Pickle from Last chance

Mahler from local gypsies

Caz from a lady in Baldock who rescued him from PTS (thanks Jenny your a star)

Tulip tied to the gates of the city farm where I used to work

Odgie found feral on Hackney marshes, took nearly a month to catch

Mabel dumped in my garden

Lilli , Eric, Tally ,Marilyn and Roland liberated from total utter barstards (bit like the man in that picc saying surplus to requirements/lost interest)

Peggy and Josh from Sheya

Alfie and Riley from GIN

Shoobs from Dasha

Salada from Houndsavers

Benj from whitelodge via houndsavers

Vena from Houndsavers

I wish I had a scanner to put in my old piccs

I was given some excellent advice from Pip at EGLR. i will be forever gateful to her-and EGLR

Me too :) I almost gave up on Harry but Pip's invaluable advice got me through the rough patch.

Harry came from Stoke Dogs Home - we only went for a look but let our hearts rule our heads & a week later he was home

:wub: He hadn't a clue how to play (at 6 months old :( ), had teeth so caked up the vet thought he was at least a year older & was completely unhappy in the house - paced and whined constantly & couldn't be left alone. His stomach took ages to settle down, God knows what he'd been fed previously. He almost drove me insane & reduced me to tears of absolute hopelessness on many occasions - then I got in touch with EGLR (after being given no help whatsoever by various other organisations & accused of trying to get rid of him to avoid paying the returning fee by one :mad: ) & the rest is history :wub:

An earlyish pic of Harry

Harry.jpg

More recently

Harryandhisbed.jpg

Once we got things sorted with Harry we decided we'd have a look for another dog & saw four 4 week old puppies on EGLR's website & a week later after speaking to Pip trotted off to their Gloucester foster home to meet them. Two weeks later Islay came home with us at seven weeks old :wub: Harry became her nanny & was just amazing - he taught her manners, had endless patience & let her share everything. She was and is deliciously wilful and completely mad - in the nicest possible way.

She fractured her tibia at nine weeks but it didn't stop her & she made the physio I had to do, to stretch her shrunken tendons when the cast was removed, so easy & did everything I asked her to.

Here she is with her horrendous cast

Islay.jpg

And now

Islayroach1.jpg

Islaytravelling.jpg

Lucas came from WAW as a foster, stayed a week, went to Whitelodge for a week & came back because he'd completely stolen our hearts :wub: He's had spats with Harry, adores Islay & lets her boss him about without a grumble & makes me laugh every day - not quite so much at night when he wakes me up with his *I need a weeeee* bark only to sit by his crumply bed when I come down, asking me to straighten it :angry: :laugh:

When he came

Lucaswk1.jpg

and more recently

Lucasgarden.jpg

(I need to take some new pics :rolleyes: )

I already had a cat when I started looking for a dog. A friend recommended lurchers, but I didn't really believe a lurcher could live happily with a cat. The same friend recommended EGLR, so I had a look at the website anyway.

They had a nine year old dog listed. There was no photo but she was described as blonde, rough coated and cat friendly. I phoned Pip and had a long chat with her and then had a long chat with Clare her foster mum (Clare24). After that I drove to Surrey to meet her and was greeted by this face:

P1010033.jpg

How could I resist? She came home with me.

Her previous owners had had her from a puppy, but were moving to Spain and didn't want to take her. Their loss, my gain.

To be honest, she isn't as cat friendly as I hoped she would be. She and my 10 year old cat Milly didn't see eye to eye at all and it was a bit of a struggle. Unfortunately Milly went to the bridge just as things were starting to settle down. Then I brought two kittens home. Daisy was fantastic with them right from the outset, although I think this look says a lot:

P1010031a-1.jpg

I'm still not convinced she's forgiven me!

I adore her and her batty ways :wub:

2cba5fea.jpg

There are some heart-warming stories on here, and every single dog is gorgeous, but this pic is just heart-stoppingly fabulous. I am totally in love :wub:

Aww thank you from both of us :flowers: She used to get ignored when she was a puppy because she was skinny - not chubby and cuddly as most people expect a puppy to be and she loved people so much (still does) it used to upset me when they made a fuss of Harry & not her :( She makes up for it now though & makes people smile & cross the road to give her a fuss :wub:

Edited by mooandboo