UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

School Drones.

raiye

My daughter has just been sent home from school. They break up tomorrow for the holidays but we've been told shes not allowed to return until this problem has been sorted.

Shes been sent home several times this year for some (IMO) very silly little things.

She was sent home for wearing trainers not shoes - even though I sent a note explaining why that had happened.

She was sent home for not wearing her tie - again a note explained why.

Shes even been sent home for having the wrong coloured hair elastics :wacko:

Today was because of her hair colour. Shes had temporary streaks put in, and school have said its interfering with class concentration!! Tomorrow she misses out on the year party which is non uniform for the day.

Her uniform lists everything has to be a set colour, including her underwear!!

Do you think schools are breeding drones with no minds to think for themselves. Removing all identities from its pupils and leaving no space for personal image?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your daughter go to a private school?

They do seem strict to me but, I have no kids so would not really know.

If it was me and she was not being disruptive in class I would write to the govenours. A school near me had a similar thing and the parents complains about the head mistress and she was sacked

I would say uniform, yes it should be adhered to, unless of course like you sent a note in.

Hair colour, that is a tricky one. :unsure: Amelias Dad's g/f dyed Amelias hair the once :rolleyes: In my opinion that was well over the top and I expected trouble. But nothing, not to my knowlege anyway.

I would say it all depends on the type of school. Some definitely seem stricter than others.

Kazz xx

I think if you know the school has strict rules then you should follow them, otherwise things like that do happen.

Personally I think kids should be allowed to express themselves in whatever form they want but as I was lucky enough to go to a 'progressive' school which allowed us to be individuals and not clones, I love to see kids dressed differently (goths, punk whatever)...ffs if I see one more hoodied baseball capped scruff bag I might scream!!! :laugh:

But as the school is quiet obviously strict to a rather unheathly obsessive nature....I think for her sake she should adher to the rules, and express herself individually in her own time. :flowers: (Presuming you don't have the choice of moving her to a school that is more concerned with education than image?)

I agree that the rules are silly: I also went to a school that laid down every little detail, and even dictated what shop you were supposed to buy everything from (expensive!)

I don't think it made any difference to the quality of the education, which frankly wasn't that great.

Having said that, sometimes you have to do stupid pointless things or wear things you don't like because other people insist on it. I think that is quite a useful lesson to learn, though admittedly not a fun one.

I don't think it will do her any great harm to have to obey the rules for a few years, and I doubt it will crush her individuality: more likely the opposite.

including her underwear!!

How exactly would they know what colour underwear the children had on :unsure: :wacko:

I've had several jobs and had to wear a uniform of some discription in all of them.

School uniform is no different from work, they're rules and regulations throughout life and school cover the basics. Catholic school goes above and beyond because we had uniform checks everyday where someone came round to check our ties were on correctly our skirts (no pants they were for boys :dry: ) were the correct length and not rolled up :laugh: , we had to wear a blazer ALL the time, you could only take it off in class :rolleyes: . As we was told frequently we are in school not on a fashion parade :laugh:

As a teenager they seemed silly and harsh but when I look back they are all just part of life lessons.

Tell your daughter not to worry because she can display all the individuality she wants once she gets to college :biggrin: :laugh:

How exactly would they know what colour underwear the children had on :unsure: :wacko:

Our school had a uniform list that included regulation grey pants from the regulation school shop: my Mum refused to buy more than one pair because they were so expensive.

I spent my first year at school worrying that someone was going to come round and check all our pants :ohno01: , but luckily nobody ever did!

Childless person going to express different opinion :D

I agree with uniforms, mainly cos mufti days were always so bloomin stressful trying to make sure you wore the "right" thing. I always remember an Indian friend of mine daring to turn up in a skirt, patent leather shoes and knee high white socks. She never lived it down.

But I think some schools can take it much too far. My work friends daughter had her coat confiscated because the lining was the wrong colour. She went two days with no winter coat in the freezing cold! If you provided a note saying why the trainers were necessary then this should have been enough IMHO. The pink streaks I can see their point on. But in my day if you came dressed or made up inappropriately you were told to not do it again. Confiscating things, sending kids home and barring them from school for a uniform violation seems excessive to me.

School uniform is no different from work, they're rules and regulations throughout life and school cover the basics. Catholic school goes above and beyond because we had uniform checks everyday where someone came round to check our ties were on correctly our skirts (no pants they were for boys :dry: ) were the correct length and not rolled up :laugh: , we had to wear a blazer ALL the time, you could only take it off in class :rolleyes: . As we was told frequently we are in school not on a fashion parade :laugh:

As a teenager they seemed silly and harsh but when I look back they are all just part of life lessons.

Tell your daughter not to worry because she can display all the individuality she wants once she gets to college :biggrin: :laugh:

You and I went to similar schools then :laugh: Regular uniform checks (inc measurement of heel height), and we also couldn't wear patent shoes in case they reflected our knickers :laugh: We weren't allowed to be seen eating in the streets in our uniform, and had to wear hats- St Trinian's type in the winter, and a boater in the summer (convent school :rolleyes: ).Any remotely fashionable adaptations would be immediately banned ......hated it at the time. But it taught us all that we can't just do what we want, when we want, which I think is an important life lesson to learn.

My youngest daughter is now 16 and at a school that is rather obsessive about such trivia.

The view I take is that she isn't going to get any grief from me if she breaks the uniform rules, but she's on her own if she does.

She knows what the rules are and is in a better position than I am to judge how far she can get away with breaking them if she wants to.

I'm not going to get into a crusade on her behalf about it.

Pam