UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mange [possibly]

Melp

Theres a chap down the road with an elderly collie, she's a lovely dog and although I know he loves her he really doesn't like taking her to the vets. She's never been speyed or vaccinated, is never treated for fleas or worms and has arthritis [at least that's what I assume she has but he's never taken her to a vet!]

Anyway, a freind of his walks Fergie while he's at work and was complaining about her going bald. Her tummy, base of her spine and a small area at the side of her nose have gone bald and the skin in really flakey and scabby, it looks like elephant skin! She's itching like mad and is making it bleed :mecry: The owner won't take her to get tested but it looks to me like mange [i've only ever seen one case in real life though] the poor dog is suffering and I've told the freind he HAS to get her seen to. He won't take her without the owners knowledge and the owner says its nothing but old age. It so isn't! Is there anything I can give the freind to ease this poor dogs itching? I know it's going to get worse if left but obviously if it is mange I don't know what sort it is. The freind is worried he'll upset the owner and says he'd never deliberatley hurt the dog but he is doing by leaving her in that state :angry:

Is there anything at all I can do [i can't bathe her but the freind might if he thinks he can get away with the owner not knowing] I feel useless and angry :(

You can get a homoeopathic remedy which works really well on mange. The National Fox Welfare Society send it out free for foxes but he'll send you some for other critters in return for a small donation.

http://www.nfws.org.uk

He'll need to put a few drops on her food (or a treat) for 14 days but it really really does work.

Sproggie you are an angel :flowers: I'm being a bit thick but I can't see where to donate, help :unsure:

Sorry, not Sproggie I know, but was taking a look at the site. I'm not sure if you can donate online - I think you might have to send a chq/phone them with a card no?

If you go here there's a box that says "click here for mange treatment" and that takes you into sending an email to them with your details for the mange treatment. Maybe just ask in that how you donate, or give them a call? (tel no on same page) :flowers:

Hope something can be sorted out for the poor dog. Sounds very stressful for her :(

It could be a flea allergy - poor old Dingo (now Ben) who went to TailEnds had 'elephant skin'.

If you could squirt the dog with Stronghold, it will sort our fleas and, to a lesser degree, mange. Because the volume of the treatment is smaller than Frontline, the owner is unlikely to notice. In a few weeks time you should see an improvement - if not then the dog really needs to see a vet.

It could be a flea allergy - poor old Dingo (now Ben) who went to TailEnds had 'elephant skin'.

If you could squirt the dog with Stronghold, it will sort our fleas and, to a lesser degree, mange. Because the volume of the treatment is smaller than Frontline, the owner is unlikely to notice. In a few weeks time you should see an improvement - if not then the dog really needs to see a vet.

Claire beat me to it :biggrin:

Stronghold works brilliantly on dogs which have fleas and/or an allergy to flea bites.

If the person who walks the dog can't get hold of any Stronghold I have one spare treatment I could post to you if you want it just let me know

I'm currently treating Tigger (and therefore Daisy) for mange.

Have to admit to taking Tigger to the vets :) and we've ended up with Stronghold - with a repeat dose to be given in one month.

As a warning I would say that this did not give immediate respite to the itching, and Tigger continued to chew holes in his leg. The things suggested to me to try to alleviate the itching were Piriton - which had no effect whatsoever on Tigger and Daisy, but apparently works on some dogs - available very cheaply from the human chemists, and very expensively from the vets. The other thing I have used is aloe vera - principally in liquid form which I've given them twice a day which I "think" has had an effect - at least we now have bare skin rather than blood and scabs, and I think there is less scratching, itching and chewing.

Poor little man.

Edited by Mrs B