UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hello everyone, Milo here. Mummy has been very busy recently and I have been very clever so she said I could write to you and tell you all about my achievements!

Mummy has been taking me out for lots of rides recently, she has been particularly evil and has made me go up and down lots of hills and it makes me get out of puff :( she says its good for me!

In the school holidays I went out lots, I had several jumpies lessons and even a boring lesson where I went round and round in a circle for ages, not a jump in sight :( our first proper outing was with auntie dawn and vinnie. Vinnie is big and brown and I'm scared of him because he's big. Mummy said she was proud of me for travelling with vinnie in the trailer and waiting there nicely whilst mummy went to walk the course. The first thing I had to do was showjumping, I was very careful and picked my feet up really high so I didn't knock any of the big sticks. Then mummy went mad and made me jump up a bank out of the arena and then we carried on and did some outdoor jumpies. I went really fast. Mummy tried to slow me down when we got to the scary things like the big drop, the water, a big ditch and a bank, but I am very brave and I told her to stop worrying, I did it all with no problems. Mummy said she was very proud of me because we haven't done outdoor jumpies in ages. She said I got something called a double clear and I earned myself a nice big carrot. Here's me going really speedy...weeeeee!

image_zps04a0a9bb.jpg

Our next outing was that horrid boring thing when I have to go round and round lots of times. Mummy made me warm up very quickly because mummy's dad forgot the trailer keys so she said we only had half an hour before our time! I was a good boy and came 2nd in the first test. To my horror, instead of going home she made me do it again. This time I got worried because there was a very naughty grey horse in the warm up area who was standing on his back legs a lot. I didn't like it so I snorted like a dragon and kept looking at him to make sure he stopped being silly. Mummy told me I was a silly cob. I calmed down eventually and we went in the arena. We got half way round and again mummy went crazy and asked me to canter! It took my by surprise and I jumped and got my legs in a muddle so we had to start again. The second time though I was ready and did a pretty canter and scored an 8 :O mummy took me home and said I had tried very hard and I got another big carrot for being good. When she came back to give me dinner she told me I had come 4th out of 15 in the canter one so mummy was happy. Here's a picture of me pointing my tootsies:

image_zps56c68b0d.jpg

Since then we've been doing more riding and mummy says we're off to a long long ride tomorrow for charity with auntie dawn and vinnie. I think I will like that :)

Speak soon,

Milo

• Like 2

Hi Milo!

It sounds like you have been very busy and being a very good boy! Lovely pictures :wub: :wub:

I have come to the decision to have 2 lessons a week on Blue - I just really struggle to school him alone, so tend to lose all motivation, but when I have my lessons on him, he is fab! His canter and trot work is coming on amazingly well now, so I think he will be so much better with regular schooling. He took offence to jump wings last night though, we weren't going over jumps, just walking through them, and he had a right mardy fit!

Well done Milo sounds like you have been a very clever boy :biggrin:

Glad Blue is doing well Gooster, two lessons a week would be fantastic. How is the sharer getting along now?

I am finally starting to get back into things again, I have had to buy yet another saddle :rolleyes: and now have seriously maxed out the credit card but you only life once hey. I'm much happier with his flatwork now, and he is much more forward and free even though we do lose consistancy in the contact but I'd much rather it that way than him being over bent and tense. Had a good jumping lesson at the weekend and hope to go showjumping over the weekend to face our demons!

I have also had to face that I really need to learn to tow the trailer, bf has been a star at taking us wherever we've wanted to go but is going through a grumpy stage and it would be so much easier if I could just hitch up and go without having to win him round. Have sent an email off to a local towing centre so waiting to hear back. I hate the idea of doing it after trying to learn with short tempered bf years back it put me off for life but some of the people I know who tow make me think if they can do it surely I can too!

• Like 1

Well done Milo!

Interesting about your saddle Clare, YO Sam has changed Obe from a WoW to a Harry Dabs dressage and a very similar reactiion. He's much freeer and does not curl up and drop the contact now.

Wanda has thrown a splint, good going at 18 year old! It's not huge and she's not lame, vet has given her some anti inflam cream and says keep in walk for a while. Banner has done another agility competition, she came 11th but was only 4 points behind the winner so not bad really. Lilli is going to start competing too, could be interesting when she throws a huge temper tantrum and tries to bite me! :)

Well done Banner :wub:

I keep meaning to learn how to tow as well - do you have to do the towing test Clare?

Blue's sharer is getting on ok, she's a bit of a fair weather rider, so if it's raining or windy, she doesn't bother riding :rolleyes: She has got better at taking responsiblilty for him though, she asked if she could hack him out last night with another girl from the yard, as my instructor couldn't do her lesson last night. I said yes, and tied him up outside whilst I mucked him out. She did groom him and tack him up, so I think she got the hint that if she was riding, I wasn't getting him ready for her. Then when they got back, she said she would wait back to give him his tea, so I could head off to the gym :)

With Blue, Bernie had asked to ride him once a week as she has a youngster who can't be ridden for another couple of years. The first time she rode him, I groomed him and tacked up, she rode then gave me the reins and went home, leaving me to untack and cool him down. However the next time she rode him, it was the pub quiz and I put Blue on full livery those days so that I can still go to the gym. Since then she has been more proactive at tacking him up and grooming him.

In return for me letting her ride him, she puts his afternoon haynet in on a Sunday.

I suppose sharing works differently depending on the situation. Some sharers might not have their own horse, so on their riding days, they may do all the jobs for the horse, so that the owner can have a day off from the farm. Whereas in my situation, as Bernie has her own horse and I don't mind doing Blue's jobs, I just ask her to do his Sunday haynet, tack and untack him herself and that's fine :)

Well done Banner! Look forward to hearing how Lilli get on :flowers:

When I had a sharer for Loki she did three days a week where she had complete responsibility for his care.

Well I couldn't put it off any longer so on Saturday we packed up and headed off to do some show jumping. It was the first time out since working with our new trainer so was feeling motivated to try and ride him as we have in our lessons but still wasn't sure if I could do it as I tend to revert to default setting once in the ring. I almost bottled doing both classes but made myself enter 2.6ft and 2.9ft, and was glad I did as there was no way the courses where up to height. He jumped a lovely round in the 2.6ft for just the one down and it was unlucky in the second phase but was by far the nicest round we have done, then into the 2.9ft and I wasn't as happy with how I rode but we had a slightly lucky double clear - completely unheard of! Was very chuffed with how we did but the courses were small and I'm not sure it will be any reflection on how we do at BE90 but we have demolished small courses before so hopefully we might be on the right track.

I think the plan is to go back there and do the small affiliated class on a ticket next time before heading off to our first even in June.

How is everyone else doing, any plans?

• Like 1

Well done :)

We are still ticking along, have bought some new competition boots today which should hopefully give me a kick up the bum to enter a show :laugh: Much to my excitement I actually managed to fit into regular calf width instead of needing wide or extra wide :biggrin: They tried to sell me a pair of Ariat Bromonts which I would dearly love, but my legs are too short for those :( I ended up with a pair of Mark Todd competition field boots, which are lovely :)

Ok, who has swiped the summer? We are back to howling winds and streaming rain, I'm on nights so just popped to to see the horses, Banner was shaking from head to foot, put her in the stable and wrapped her up in a fleece for 10 minutes and left her in, poor girl was freezing! Monty was a bit cold but Lilli didn't seem to even notice it was raining but they came in anyway! :) Big horses were off across the field and not bothered at all, I seem to have a couple of wimpy shetlands!

Not been up to much, since our busy time in the holidays. He felt really reluctant behind last week so I gave him the week off and my physio saw him Friday and as usual did a marvellous job, rode him Sunday and he's back to normal.

Most of my weekends are booked up with agility shows (dogs - not horses!) now but hoping to get to a few jumping clinics in the next month or so :)

• Like 1

My pony is an idiot. Fact. They were turned out in the summer fields yesterday. Overnight he decided that he wanted to be in the field with the mares, escaped into their field and has both back shoes on (that were only done last week). He's such an idiot. Anyway, the mares have now been moved to a field far away from the boys field (we are so lucky with the number of fields we have!), so he can go out later.

Oh no norty Blue! Ours move to a new field on Sunday and Im dreading it, he is going so nicely at the moment I'll disown him if he injures himself pratting around, its a field they haven't been in before on a hill with a stream running through the middle, the possibilities for trouble are endless :rolleyes: